• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL LSR305 vs 305p mkII vs Mackie MR524 vs Presonus Eris E5 + DAC with volume knob - Weird listening position

Solist

So after a couple days of research I narrowed my options for active speakers to these 4.

Its for my dads office. Its not a big room, 3,09x3,65m (10,1x12ft for you rebels out there). Height is 2,64m (8,7ft).

office.png

The thing that makes scratch my head the most is the bass port. While the JBL and Mackies are rear ported, the Eris have a front port. And I dont know which one would perform better, given the odd listening position. Behind the seat is a tall bookshelf, extending almost to the ceiling.

He likes bass, and has a bit of a hearing problem (severe dip at 4khz, from what I understand). From what I could hear via YT recordings, the JBL 305 seem to extend the most into the LF. Then LSR305, Eris, and last Mackies?

They will be used only for listening to music, and I want something that does not cause ear fatigue, although I was wondering, given his hearing condition, if I should intentionally choose something with emphasis on HF?

Another thing is the DAC. I am not much into digital, and given all the options I am lost. He would prefer something with a volume knob, and I was honestly considering the Focusrite Scarlett solo 3rd gen.

Top Bottom