• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL L830 Measurements?

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've had a pair of these in my weekend house for about eight years. My son bought them to replace a set one of his friends blew out. My subjective impression is they do pretty well, in a difficult acoustic space, and sound pretty decent as we move around (this is a room that absolutely defies proper placement*) I've never been able to find independent measurements, though.

https://www.harmanaudio.com/jbl/L830CH-Z.html

(the room is here - https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/room-challenge-and-dsp.9178/)

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can't find any, but you might have seen that Stereophile measured the L880 and Soundstage Network the L890. Bookshelf models often measure similarly to their tower counterparts in the tweeter range so given the similarities between the above models, it seems likely the L830 features elevated treble but features solid directivity.

The L880 seems to have a bit of elevated treble mainly.

906Jblfig4.jpg

906JBLfig5.jpg

While the L890 shows a bit more of a v-shape (the bass boost in the Stereophile measurement is because JA doesn't compensate for baffle step):

Screenshot_20201229-030148.png

Perhaps if listened to with no toe in it can avoid brightness, though that's still more treble energy than I like to see.

Last edited:
OP
ahofer

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I can't find any, but you might have seen that Stereophile measured the L880 and Soundstage Network the L890. Bookshelf models often measure similarly to their tower counterparts in the tweeter range so given the similarities between the above models, it seems likely the L830 features elevated treble but features solid directivity.

The L880 seems to have a bit of elevated treble mainly.

View attachment 102178

View attachment 102179

While the L890 shows a bit more of a v-shape (the bass boost in the Stereophile measurement is because JA doesn't compensate for baffle step):

View attachment 102180

Perhaps if listened to with no toe in it can avoid brightness, though that's still more treble energy than I like to see.

Thanks for digging this up. I’m starting to EQ, and this little adjustment has already made a difference:

DAFA40A9-1A38-4DC1-B99D-C812286FB3FC.jpeg

OP
ahofer

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for digging this up. I’m starting to EQ, and this little adjustment has already made a difference:

View attachment 106908

985D09B1-8876-4F1F-A366-726B1932B0C2.jpeg

Just a follow up - I’ve enjoyed listening to these a lot more recently, using the EQ persistently. I may be fooling myself, or maybe this stuff really works.

Top Bottom