• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL L100 Reissue - $4000

radix

Major Contributor
Sounds like you have all the measurements you need!!
Here's the current measurements. The solid lines are with flat response set on the C30 preamp (no EQ, no loudness). The dotted lines are with some EQ (+50 Hz, -150 Hz), which helps a little. Really, I need to put a minidsp between the C30 and the MC2205.

The space is a dining room with windows on 2 sides and a high vaulted ceiling. The speakers fire towards the kitchen (open wall). It is very bouncy.

The speakers are set with a slight mid boost (maybe 4 o-clock position, where 3 o-clock is 0 dB).

This is with 1/24th smoothing

c30-mc2205-l100-24th.png

And here is Psychoacoustic

c30-mc2205-l100-psy.png

LouB

Here's the current measurements. The solid lines are with flat response set on the C30 preamp (no EQ, no loudness). The dotted lines are with some EQ (+50 Hz, -150 Hz), which helps a little. Really, I need to put a minidsp between the C30 and the MC2205.

The space is a dining room with windows on 2 sides and a high vaulted ceiling. The speakers fire towards the kitchen (open wall). It is very bouncy.

The speakers are set with a slight mid boost (maybe 4 o-clock position, where 3 o-clock is 0 dB).

This is with 1/24th smoothing

View attachment 312735

And here is Psychoacoustic

View attachment 312736

For someone (me) who doesn't understand the graph what's your opinion on "how they measure ? The reviews I've read on them have said they measure pretty good & I'm probably going to get them as soon as I have the money. Also wondering from your listening perspective prior to measuring them, were you expecting the measurements you got or something different ?
Thanks

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Forget the size and expense of the JBL L-100 reboots! Now there are authentic JBLs for your house! ;)

1695065031393.png

I hope they didn't pay someone for that tagline: Authentic Sound, Authentic You.
:)

radix

Major Contributor
For someone (me) who doesn't understand the graph what's your opinion on "how they measure ? The reviews I've read on them have said they measure pretty good & I'm probably going to get them as soon as I have the money. Also wondering from your listening perspective prior to measuring them, were you expecting the measurements you got or something different ?
Thanks

I knew they had a lot of mid-bass. I'd say the mid-bass is about +3 to +6 dB too high around 60-100 Hz, but that is likely entirely my room, not the speakers. I think the measurements came out about to my expectations: nothing particularly bad, maybe a bit heavy on the bass. But I like a bit of extra bass, so that's OK with me.

JBL rates them down to 40 Hz (at -6 dB). I would say my in-room is closer to 35 Hz, maybe 30 Hz @ -6. I did not stuff the ports. Maybe that would help with the bass bump.

The upper frequencies are really flat (those are mostly speaker, not room) and balanced. I'm not sure what's going on with the 15 kHz drop-off (is it airplay, the preamp, the amp, the speakers, the mic alignment?). I've done measurements of the C30 preamp and I know it does not drop off until after 20 kHz, so it's likely airplay or the speaker/mic alignment. The speakers are on one side of the dining room table, with the tweeters pointed up at an angle (as per the JBL stands) and the mic is sitting ear hight on the far side of the table. The 15 kHz drop could just be that alignment -- I'll try some more measurements to see if that's the case (maybe try a 1-m direct on alignment).

I find the speakers very enjoyable without a sub. I only measured at one spot (midway between the speakers, maybe 2m triangle, give or take a bit), but the sound is good throughout the dining room and the kitchen. This is entirely casual listening, either low background music or loud music while cooking.

They look great with the vintage McIntosh stack I put together, especially with the orange grills (boy, those were hard to get). I also have the blue grills, which look very nice too, if that fits your color scheme better. The angled stands keep people from resting things (i.e. drinks) on the speakers :)

LouB

I knew they had a lot of mid-bass. I'd say the mid-bass is about +3 to +6 dB too high around 60-100 Hz, but that is likely entirely my room, not the speakers. I think the measurements came out about to my expectations: nothing particularly bad, maybe a bit heavy on the bass. But I like a bit of extra bass, so that's OK with me.

JBL rates them down to 40 Hz (at -6 dB). I would say my in-room is closer to 35 Hz, maybe 30 Hz @ -6. I did not stuff the ports. Maybe that would help with the bass bump.

The upper frequencies are really flat (those are mostly speaker, not room) and balanced. I'm not sure what's going on with the 15 kHz drop-off (is it airplay, the preamp, the amp, the speakers, the mic alignment?). I've done measurements of the C30 preamp and I know it does not drop off until after 20 kHz, so it's likely airplay or the speaker/mic alignment. The speakers are on one side of the dining room table, with the tweeters pointed up at an angle (as per the JBL stands) and the mic is sitting ear hight on the far side of the table. The 15 kHz drop could just be that alignment -- I'll try some more measurements to see if that's the case (maybe try a 1-m direct on alignment).

I find the speakers very enjoyable without a sub. I only measured at one spot (midway between the speakers, maybe 2m triangle, give or take a bit), but the sound is good throughout the dining room and the kitchen. This is entirely casual listening, either low background music or loud music while cooking.

They look great with the vintage McIntosh stack I put together, especially with the orange grills (boy, those were hard to get). I also have the blue grills, which look very nice too, if that fits your color scheme better. The angled stands keep people from resting things (i.e. drinks) on the speakers :)
Cool & thanks for the explanation ! The bass is exactly why I want the L100's hard to beat a 12" woofer. I ditched my sub a few months ago and really like they way the music is sounding without my sub. Now i gotta find 4K :)

radix

Major Contributor
Cool & thanks for the explanation ! The bass is exactly why I want the L100's hard to beat a 12" woofer. I ditched my sub a few months ago and really like they way the music is sounding without my sub. Now i gotta find 4K :)

I bought mine from Audio Classics (www.audioclassics.com/) as back stock for $2500. They have a pair left at that price. Give them a call, they will work a deal with you. I believe these were dealer demo units or influencer review units. At that price, it was a no-brainer.

LouB

I bought mine from Audio Classics (www.audioclassics.com/) as back stock for $2500. They have a pair left at that price. Give them a call, they will work a deal with you. I believe these were dealer demo units or influencer review units. At that price, it was a no-brainer.
That's a great deal I gave them a call & I'm waiting for shipping quote from them.
Thanks

Last edited:
Top Bottom