• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL L-300 REPRODUCTION

Starlifter

I am building 4 sets of L-300. So tired of seeing so many use JBL's that are falling apart going for $5000 to $6000.
Of course no MDF, birch plywood.
Kendrick cross overs
Replace woofer with jbl 2235hi woofers.
LE85.l91 and h92
0077 tweeters
Totally brand new with all drivers restored.
Modern speaker 4 mil speaker post.

Thinking I could sell for $7000. A pair.
Especially if I replace with the new 15 inch woofers from the S9900 JBL.
Either $48000 for those or $7000. For speakers that will kick the modern ones in the ass. Lol
Just joined
Searching for :
Jbl 077
Le85
H92
2225h 15 woofers
If you run into a good price driver please let me know.

smurfer

Hi,

If you are patient you will find the drivers in nice condition. However, I'm not sure your resale price will be even as high as original systems in original cabinets; JBL people are collectors and love 'original'. Changing out for a better woofer may actually lower the resale value. Of course, if you are doing things to the level of 'kenrick' (not 'kendrick') then you may still see a nice price. However, I hope you keep and use them :).

Also, I bought some JBL parts in USA, but one tip is that Japan is a great place to buy JBL components, although maybe not at very low prices. JBL is very popular in Japan and was heavily distributed (by Sansui, while they existed).

Aside from the 2235 substitution you mentioned, you could also consider the 2216ND and 2216ND-1. These are popular subs in L300 and have neodynium, pure pulp cone, 75mm dual voice coil. 2216ND is used JBL M2 and S4700 (1060x500x370mm, 800HZ xover to mid)). 2216ND-1 is used in JBL 4367 which is the home/passive version of M2 in bigger cabinet. The difference is that ND-1 has an aqauplas coating on woofer to lower Fs to allow more bass without active/DSP to help it along.

Good luck

OP
Starlifter

Starlifter

Hi,

If you are patient you will find the drivers in nice condition. However, I'm not sure your resale price will be even as high as original systems in original cabinets; JBL people are collectors and love 'original'. Changing out for a better woofer may actually lower the resale value. Of course, if you are doing things to the level of 'kenrick' (not 'kendrick') then you may still see a nice price. However, I hope you keep and use them :).

Also, I bought some JBL parts in USA, but one tip is that Japan is a great place to buy JBL components, although maybe not at very low prices. JBL is very popular in Japan and was heavily distributed (by Sansui, while they existed).

Aside from the 2235 substitution you mentioned, you could also consider the 2216ND and 2216ND-1. These are popular subs in L300 and have neodynium, pure pulp cone, 75mm dual voice coil. 2216ND is used JBL M2 and S4700 (1060x500x370mm, 800HZ xover to mid)). 2216ND-1 is used in JBL 4367 which is the home/passive version of M2 in bigger cabinet. The difference is that ND-1 has an aqauplas coating on woofer to lower Fs to allow more bass without active/DSP to help it along.

Good luck
Thank you!
Not sure what to sell speakers for. Will have about $4900. Invested in each pair made.
Yes one pair will be mine.
May even do a 5.1 system while breaking them in. Lol
Wife's are dangerous when large JBL's are covering the whole room.

OP
Starlifter

Starlifter

Checking back in. Seems I have great speakers that I reproduce but I can make more money tearing them apart to sell them. Lol

Attachments

• IMG_0225.jpeg
    IMG_0225.jpeg
    280.9 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0041.jpeg
    IMG_0041.jpeg
    301.1 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0048.jpeg
    IMG_0048.jpeg
    346.3 KB · Views: 73

Drgcox

Checking back in. Seems I have great speakers that I reproduce but I can make more money tearing them apart to sell them. Lol
Just joined forum, have about 5 pairs of LE 85s and some 136A to sell and horns But it sounds like that’s not something that you’re looking for now, what elements did you end up using to build these.

Top Bottom