• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

JBL HDI-4500 Center Channel Speaker Review

dasdoing

Major Contributor
wow. this thing is a spot light. might be good for a mixing room if turned 90 degrees.
why are all all center speakers insisting on this design if it obviously can't speak well on the horizontal axis?

Sal1950

Master Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
wow. this thing is a spot light. might be good for a mixing room if turned 90 degrees.
why are all all center speakers insisting on this design if it obviously can't speak well on the horizontal axis?
Got any other ideas?
The only other design besides an MTM might be a coaxial but to have any bass output it needs to be a large one, again requiring a cabinet that would be too tall for most traditional "under TV" positions.
You can use anything you like in a projection system with sound transparent screens like the movies.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Got any other ideas?
The only other design besides an MTM might be a coaxial but to have any bass output it needs to be a large one, again requiring a cabinet that would be too tall for most traditional "under TV" positions.
You can use anything you like in a projection system with sound transparent screens like the movies.
3 way, coax in the middle (or, if you have the space, tweeter above midrange). See:
- Infinity RC263
- SVS Ultra Center
- KEF R2C
- Revel C52 (this is quite expensive)

Last edited:

ernestcarl

Major Contributor

Not completely true since screens will cause some (often significant) attenuation in the HF. It is desirable to use speakers that can be specifically boosted in that HF region comfortably without sounding bad or being potentially limited (compressed)/damaged at high playback volumes.

Sal1950

Master Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
3 way, coax in the middle (or, if you have the space, tweeter above midrange). See:
- Infinity RC263
- SVS Ultra Center
- KEF R2C
- Revel C52 (this is quite expensive)
Look at the RC263 and Sierra Horizon reviews, the horizontal performance is similar.
Then look at the CBM-340 review, the horizontal performance is terrible, I think the red in the polar plot was like +/-10° at the worst.
Facts of life are that tradeoffs are the name of the game for center channels that need to have limited vertical cabinet size in a multich system. There's also the fact that we're talking about "home" systems, not a real theater. For folks with the ways and means to build a real HT, they will have a large projection screen and the work-around options to not be stuck with these compromise MTM's.
At my place the beaming is a non-issue, there's only one real seat, mine. Guests sit on the couch on the side wall and every one of them to the man/woman are blown away by the sound quality cause they wouldn't know a FR aberation if I hit them in the head with a 2x4. LOL. The very occasional VIP guest gets to sit in my seat. But isn't that the way of all HiFi demos, stereo or multich" whether at a dealer, hi fi show, or a fellow audiophiles house, they always want you to sit in the "sweet spot" to really appreciate the sound. ;)
The 4500 blends incredibly well with my 4 3600's and at the end of the day isn't that the real goal.

dfuller

Major Contributor
The 4500 blends incredibly well with my 4 3600's and at the end of the day isn't that the real goal.
Yep!

That said... This does not look anywhere as narrow where it matters.
index.php

JBL%20HDI-4500%20Beamwidth_Horizontal.png

HooStat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@dfuller Are there test results for the SVS Ultra Center? That always seems like a good choice to me too. I know Amir tested the bookshelves and they looked pretty good.

dfuller

Major Contributor
@dfuller Are there test results for the SVS Ultra Center? That always seems like a good choice to me too. I know Amir tested the bookshelves and they looked pretty good.
Not that I've seen. I was inferring that it's decent enough given the bookshelf performance.

Top Bottom