• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL HDI-1600 vs 708i?

jdubs

Forum Donor
Hey guys, is the 708i worth the price differential?

-Jim

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It depends. 708i is a much more capable speaker with much better drivers - ring radiator compression driver with wider HF dispersion, bigger midwoofer with all the JBL tech (neo differential drive motor). It is also larger and uglier, and limits pairings with consumer audio systems because you need either the noisy Crown amps or a BSS BLU processor.

OP
J

jdubs

Forum Donor
I can handle the dsp via HQPlayer so I don’t need that Crown amp or BSS processor (thank god!).

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Are the 708P amps "noisier" than the Crowns? What is the noise worry in the Crowns particularly?

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
People assume that because someone cracked the BSS macro password and published the results they can use any DSP…I don’t agree.

If you’ve measured the along output from BLU loaded with the macros, (as I have, from BLU-50) and compared it to same settings in standard filters (as I have, using miniDSP 2x4HD and Monoprice HTP-1) you would know that some BSS filters use slightly different math. (2x4HD and HTP-1 were basically the same, the differences coming from the coarser volume steps in HTP-1).

For 708 the difference is admittedly less than 705, but the fact remains that you’re not actually getting the designed voicing by entering the “cracked” specs into a standard processor.

Are the 708P amps "noisier" than the Crowns? What is the noise worry in the Crowns particularly?

Fan noise is the issue with Crown DCI. Otherwise they’re fine.

Last edited:
OP
J

jdubs

Forum Donor
If you’ve measured the along output from BLU loaded with the macros, (as I have, from BLU-50) and compared it to same settings in standard filters (as I have, using miniDSP 2x4HD and Monoprice HTP-1) you would know that some BSS filters use slightly different math. (2x4HD and HTP-1 were basically the same, the differences coming from the coarser volume steps in HTP-1).

You mean constant Q vs. proportional Q?

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Of you're considering the 708i at retail, the powered version is only slightly more expensive and is a successful implementation of DSP and internal amplification.

I don't mix with mine, they're for dedicated 2 channel playback.

I couldn't be happier.

crappypanther

For me 708i are much more interesting. 70x is senior series of JBL studio monitors. The only one problem is black color only

a|F

I have a pair of 708P and 705P for sale if interested in trying them out. ;)

OP
J

jdubs

Forum Donor
No. I mean some of the BSS math seems to be a proprietary variation of RBJ.

This seems extremely unlikely. What would be their incentive to do such a thing?

Also, can you illustrate an example of these “math” differences?

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This seems extremely unlikely. What would be their incentive to do such a thing?

I’m only reporting what I’ve measured. No idea (or speculation, or care) regarding motivation.

Also, can you illustrate an example of these “math” differences?

I could, but I won’t. I have shared my data with someone I trusted wouldn’t use it to further attempt to pirate IP.

Trust me or not, I don’t particularly care. I’ve done the measurements and you have not.

Top Bottom