• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL HDI-1600 Speaker Review

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I didn't quite expect the quality increase to be so obvious just for the surround speakers.
IME, inner detail and imaging provided by all the HDI series is phenomenal. JBL named them right, High Definition Imaging series is an appropriate handle for all of the series. I'll probably take these to my grave. ;)

DRNO

Thanks for inputs. yes the 1600 are great! Will test the 3600 today so I will find out

outfaced

Videos on Youtube not the best to judge sound but one interesting here ...
for me the JBL shows more live and spark than the R3, even the R3 measures better here

MickeyBoy

Forum Donor
Wouldn't the JBL 4309 be a better buy? It has 2 dB higher sensitivity at a slightly higher retail, $2,000?

Dougey_Jones

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Anybody wanna buy my barely used HDI-1600's in original boxes/packing? I've decided to go another direction. Speakers are mint. I think they realistically have less than 24hrs of play time and are already safely back in their original packaging.

Dougey_Jones

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

MickeyBoy

Forum Donor
Sorry - I omitted the space between at and lhkevil@gmail...

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Best not to give out mails on forums, use a private conversation.
YMMV

Streamc

for me the JBL shows more live and spark than the R3, even the R3 measures better here
boosted bass on JBL in some area. But I can`t judge.

testp

what the heck are they talking about? nicht sprechen deutche, could someone translate a little...

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
I'm surprised the discussion of this highly recommended speaker is truncated as compared to many others. These are still available for $1800/pair while the R3 has seen a price increase to $2200/pair.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@Ron Texas Talking to a local dealer, Revel has the majority of audiophile mindshare despite JBL also leveraging a lot of core Harman research. You would actually imagine JBL to offer better sound for a given price point since the finishing and cabinetry is a step down from Revel. Since JBLs are also found in $50 Bluetooth speakers and headphones (even though said budget headphones are good), it’s harder for the hifi stores to showcase JBL speakers (esp 2005 to 2020 when in person audition of speakers was possible).

Everyone seems to be “surprised” that JBLs sound as good as they do when there is no reason to be surprised…

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Everyone seems to be “surprised” that JBLs sound as good as they do when there is no reason to be surprised…
Amen,
JBL has unfortunately been given a mostly bad rap by the high end review media.
But the same can be said of all speakers using horn (waveguide) type speakers.
My HDI 3600's sound incredible to me, imaging every bit as good as any Revels I've heard.
Response as smooth and glare free as I could ask for.
YMMV

Prolix

Forum Donor
Feels like a silly question but here we go... Is that huge top end spike something that could bother pets? Looks like it shoots straight off the end of the graph.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Feels like a silly question but here we go... Is that huge top end spike something that could bother pets? Looks like it shoots straight off the end of the graph.
UHF are ultra directional and almost completely attenuated by any surface they come into contact with.

Top Bottom