• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL Control X Review (Indoor/Outdoor Speaker)

nathan

Typical JBL inventory issue and pricing fun. If they follow past patterns they will be back in stock after another container ship arrives and probably back on sale for a healthy discount not too long afterwards. But if you cannot wait a few months, you may want to spend time on ebay etc...

ThomasXia

Impressive performance with such a low price, especially when compared with the JBL 280 CSA measured tody.

RMW_NJ

I just bought two pairs of these at full price from Amazon because I wanted smaller, easier to mount Atmos than what I have now. I considered the Revel M55CX and JBL Control 25-1 but picked these because they are smaller and in the case of Revel also cheaper.

Anyway, I hooked them up to my two channel system and am very surprised how good they sound. Looking at the measurements I would have expected them to be bright because of the upward tilt and minimal bass, but they’re really not…goes to show the importance of that beautifully controlled directivity. Those who bought them for $99 a few years ago got a steal.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Got a pair of these for $90 on eBay a while back, (had to glue the pegs back onto the grille, but it was NBD) and finally set them up in my yard today. Running them with the frugal connoisseur's special of a Fosi V3 and WiiM mini. I think the whole setup was $230. They really do sound great for what they are - if you see them secondhand I wouldn't hesitate to snap up a pair for cheap. Honestly not a bad deal at MSRP, if you need something outside.

But no surprises with the bass, it's pretty much AWOL. That's probably sensible for outdoors since I don't want to bug my neighbors too much, but I might still EQ in something between 100 and 70hz.

Top Bottom