• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL Control 29AV-1 Review (PA/Outdoor Speaker)

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Is this enough beer?
Lkw-Fahrer-trinkt-Bier-und-zeigt-bei-Kontrolle-Limo-Flasche_big_teaser_article.jpg

DanielT

Major Contributor
Interesting

What do you party animals think about these speakers' SPL:
Maximum SPL @ 1m3 Short-Term: 118 dB; Long-Term: 112 dB

How wild and big outdoor parties are they capable of?:)

Attaches jbl's own information about the speaker.

Attachments

• shot_2021-09-18_08-47-09.png
    shot_2021-09-18_08-47-09.png
    565.6 KB · Views: 97

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Interesting

What do you party animals think about these speakers' SPL:
Maximum SPL @ 1m3 Short-Term: 118 dB; Long-Term: 112 dB

How wild and big outdoor parties are they capable of?:)

Attaches jbl's own information about the speaker.

We need some subs.;)

DanielT

Major Contributor
Of course, subwoofers.:p

I you have room for a couple of fat big a..s ugly PA speakers in your garage that can be brought out at parties then maybe you should go bigger. Maybe used ugly PA speakers that can withstand beatings (literally if you talk about pretty wild parties outdoors). I have a feeling that when the beer flows, it's SPL that matters and not good hifi, high end listening that applies.:D

The JBL are perhaps perfect for little more quiet parties when the middle class in the middle class area gathers for a medium-nice medium-volume loud party outdoors.:)

Edit:
Joking aside. Those JBLs are probably good to use outdoors but I am actually interested in a little more tangible aspects:
How durable are they? Short-circuit protection, fuses?
How can they withstand moisture?
Is the speaker grill really a protection or mostly for the sake of looks?

Edit 2
It was just read what JBL themselves says so then it became a little more clarifying .:) See attached pictures.

Attachments

• shot_2021-09-18_09-28-56.png
    shot_2021-09-18_09-28-56.png
    304.4 KB · Views: 100
  • shot_2021-09-18_09-29-29.png
    shot_2021-09-18_09-29-29.png
    539.8 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:

YSC

Major Contributor
Just wonders, JBL seems to be using the same compression tweeter along their lines with similar horns, how come this one varies that big?

GWolfman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thanks. How many people have speakers hooked up outside? Maybe I'm just an oddball, but appears to be quite uncommon IMO.

Madjalapeno

Forum Donor
Thanks. How many people have speakers hooked up outside? Maybe I'm just an oddball, but appears to be quite uncommon IMO.

We did for a while around our deck and hot tub, but found it was more trouble that it was worth. Spiders and birds love making a mess of them, cables are ugly, and need protecting. In the end I ripped it all out (including the hot tub) and just use portable devices now.

RobL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

I have wired outdoor speakers at my house and cottage but you’re right, I’m probably the outlier.
I think JBL’s target for these is more likely restaurants and pubs etc.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks Amir. Still searching for the right one I suppose.

I do. So do my in laws. Maybe more common here than other places. I am sure a lot of CI firms use outdoor speakers to give the package a little boost.

I am taking out the pool and putting in a patio in the coming months because I worry about my little kids, and I will definitely be running a couple more speakers out there too. I might just get JBL party speakers or something. Still need to work it out... and see more reviews. ;)

OT, but where do Germans / Europeans truck beer in bulk? Saw these leaving a Bavarian brewery a couple weeks ago. All the US breweries I have visited bottle and package.

Kentucky bourbon distilleries transport and export in bulk to consolidate bottling, and because Aussies can mixed drinks like bourbon and cola, among other reasons.

tomtoo

Major Contributor

I do. So do my in laws. Maybe more common here than other places. I am sure a lot of CI firms use outdoor speakers to give the package a little boost.

I am taking out the pool and putting in a patio in the coming months because I worry about my little kids, and I will definitely be running a couple more speakers out there too. I might just get JBL party speakers or something. Still need to work it out... and see more reviews. ;)

OT, but where do Germans / Europeans truck beer in bulk? Saw these leaving a Bavarian brewery a couple weeks ago. All the US breweries I have visited bottle and package.

Kentucky bourbon distilleries transport and export in bulk to consolidate bottling, and because Aussies can mixed drinks like bourbon and cola, among other reasons.

To be honest sir, i have no clue. Maybe its just advertisement for the breewery???
The beer bussines i know only from consumer side. ;)

mash

I've used outdoor speakers on my back patio for many years. I originally built permanent mounts but have evolved to setting up outdoor waterproof banana terminals that sit on my patio fireplace countertop. This lets me store my speakers (Revel M80XCs) indoors when not in use. When we are going to have a party, I just pull them out and plug them in (5 mins). I run them off of a small integrated amp combined with an Allo Boss 2 Roon streamer. This setup works well and give me decent outdoor sound. It shouldn't be confused with a serious indoor experiance but it beats the hell out of most portable (Bluetooth) setups that people use.

testp

looks like a new panther?

i just have to say this: Hello panther, welcome to the show, you got drafted and are now one of the good guys!

Dmitri

Forum Donor
Amirm...I think it much better to be stumped than stomped, but perhaps stomped is more likely in the ensuing mosh pit and wild drunken partying that appears to be main undercurrent of this particular review. If I’m not invited, I’ll be very disappointed.
The firehose panther will be useful for crowd control.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
done that once before... Pretty good stuff! Also - are you in the Boston area, by chance? Guessing from your user name.
Yes I am in Somerville. The birthplace of democracy and sometimes opiates.

BostonJack

Editor
I’ve always wondered what the ideal spinorama would be for an outdoor speaker. The “in room response” often doesn’t make sense as these speakers may be mounted to the back of your house 10 feet off the ground with a back plane but no ground plane or side wall reflections to speak of,
It seems to me that on axis response and a plethora of bass to compensate for the lack of room boundary gain may be ideal response for an outdoor speaker

How about a bbq party listening test to figure this out?

Great idea! Add kids running around and parents with one eye on their gin and tonic and the other eye making sure there isn't a kid drowning in the pool. Neighbor two houses down mowing the lawn for additional verisimilitude. SO begging you to turn the volume down, people don't want to hear your speakers and only your speakers! Real world test conditions.

BostonJack

Editor

I filled an inground pool in at a house we were raising small kids in. (It had one wall that needed repair, water flow patterns on the property were unusual.) We never missed it really. Did develop a reputation as "the people who filled the pool in." I recommend it. (developing a reputation, I mean ).

dfuller

Major Contributor
Yes I am in Somerville. The birthplace of democracy and sometimes opiates.
Nice, I'm in Arlington, just a town over!

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a pair on my side porch. Use them all the time. Have always had outdoor speakers, hence the need for Zone 2!

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Of course, subwoofers.:p

I you have room for a couple of fat big a..s ugly PA speakers in your garage that can be brought out at parties then maybe you should go bigger. Maybe used ugly PA speakers that can withstand beatings (literally if you talk about pretty wild parties outdoors). I have a feeling that when the beer flows, it's SPL that matters and not good hifi, high end listening that applies.:D

The JBL are perhaps perfect for little more quiet parties when the middle class in the middle class area gathers for a medium-nice medium-volume loud party outdoors.:)

Edit:
Joking aside. Those JBLs are probably good to use outdoors but I am actually interested in a little more tangible aspects:
How durable are they? Short-circuit protection, fuses?
How can they withstand moisture?
Is the speaker grill really a protection or mostly for the sake of looks?

Edit 2
It was just read what JBL themselves says so then it became a little more clarifying .:) See attached pictures.
Why keep them in the garage while you can keep them in the ground all the time :)

Top Bottom