• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL Control 29AV-1 Review (PA/Outdoor Speaker)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the JBL Control 29AV-1 "PA" Outdoor speaker. It was kindly purchased by a member and drop shipped to me. It costs US $409 (each).

In discussion with the owner, we decided to measure and review the speaker without its grill:

JBL Control 29AV-1 Review Outdoor PA Speaker.jpg

The grill is metal and is fastened by two screws in the center (covered by a JBL logo) and then very well friction fit all around.

Back panel is all industrial showing the option to also drive the speaker using high voltage (to reduce cable losses in very long runs):

JBL Control 29AV-1 Review back panel Outdoor PA Speaker.jpg

As you see, there are plenty of options for wall and stand mounting. The enclosure is rugged but not super heavy thick stuff.

Measurements that you are about to see were performed using the Klippel Near-field Scanner (NFS). This is a robotic measurement system that analyzes the speaker all around and is able (using advanced mathematics and dual scan) to subtract room reflections (so where I measure it doesn't matter). It also measures the speaker at close distance ("near-field") which sharply reduces the impact of room noise. Using computational acoustics, far-field response is computed and that is what I present. Both of these factors enable testing in ordinary rooms yet results that can be more accurate than an anechoic chamber.

I performed over 1000 measurement which resulted in error rate of about 1%. Clean high frequency response is responsible for ease of measurement in this regard.

Reference axis is approximately the center of the tweeter. Grill was not used.

JBL Control 29AV-1 Measurements
Acoustic measurements can be grouped in a way that can be perceptually analyzed to determine how good a speaker is and how it can be used in a room. This so called spinorama shows us just about everything we need to know about the speaker with respect to tonality and some flaws:

JBL Control 29AV-1 Measurements frequency response Outdoor PA Speaker.png

Gosh, what a good response until we get to 900 Hz. Messiness there is due to what the front mounted port produces:

JBL Control 29AV-1 Measurements driver and port frequency response Outdoor PA Speaker.png

You can also see the cause of the higher frequency unevenness being the tweeter.

Early window reflections -- assuming it corresponds to your situation -- is messy:

JBL Control 29AV-1 Measurements early window frequency response Outdoor PA Speaker.png

This in turn screws up the predicted in-room response:

JBL Control 29AV-1 Measurements Predicted in-room frequency response Outdoor PA Speaker.png

Distortion is very much under control in bass where it is usually a mess in small outdoor speakers:

JBL Control 29AV-1 Measurements THD distortion vs frequency response Outdoor PA Speaker.png

Something is amiss in the tweeter though:

JBL Control 29AV-1 Measurements distortion vs frequency response Outdoor PA Speaker.png

Beamwidth is nicely controlled although on the narrow side (which may be a good thing for outdoor far listening):
JBL Control 29AV-1 Measurements horizontal beam width Outdoor PA Speaker.png

JBL Control 29AV-1 Measurements horizontal directivity Outdoor PA Speaker.png

Vertical is also smooth but don't go too far above or below the tweeter axis:

JBL Control 29AV-1 Measurements vertical directivity Outdoor PA Speaker.png

Zooming into three frequencies in middle bands, we see the problem with the port spitting out stuff at the same time as the woofer:

JBL Control 29AV-1 Measurements 3d Contour Outdoor PA Speaker.png

But then becomes happy as the tweeter takes over.

Impedance is reasonably high which is good although dips low in high frequencies:

JBL Control 29AV-1 Measurements impedance and phase response Outdoor PA Speaker.png

Where it dips is where we have peak distortion. Hmmm....

JBL Control 29AV-1 Listening Tests
I tested the JBL like any other hi-fi speaker indoor in my usual far-field listening space. Let's get the good news and easy answer out of the way first: this thing can play and scale up without any sign of strain. The combination of the port and bass driver is doing its job well as the measurements show.

The rest is not easy. I did not fall in love with the speaker and my quick attempts at EQ were mixed. On some content it sounded better, on others did not. I did get the sense that reducing the resonances around 1 kHz was helpful but subtle. There was some high frequency shrillness that was very content specific. I pulled down one of the peaks there and that helped but again, not sure in balance it was a good idea.

I tested sub-bass reproduction but hardly anything came out the speaker. Likely the reason it is able to scale up in playback level; it doesn't do what it can't do.

Where does it net out? I don't know! Some speakers are harder to assess and this is one.

Conclusions
There is some goodness in this design: ability to play loud with little distortion in bass. The variability above that is too complex for me to quantify with listening tests. It certainly is not awful or objectionable most of the time. With respect to outdoor speaker standards, this is a very capable speaker. With respect to using it as a pure hi-fi speaker, I am stomped per above. You have the measurements, you decide!

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Attachments

• JBL Control 29AV-1 Frequency Response.zip
    62 KB · Views: 92

BillH

Forum Donor
I’ve always wondered what the ideal spinorama would be for an outdoor speaker. The “in room response” often doesn’t make sense as these speakers may be mounted to the back of your house 10 feet off the ground with a back plane but no ground plane or side wall reflections to speak of,
It seems to me that on axis response and a plethora of bass to compensate for the lack of room boundary gain may be ideal response for an outdoor speaker

How about a bbq party listening test to figure this out?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

sam_adams

Addicted to Fun and Learning
These are, after all, outdoor PA speakers. I wouldn't expect them to be used in the great room. But they might work well around the estate:

thebreakers.jpg

A few around the pool. Some down by the tennis courts and the boathouse. Maybe some in the seaplane hanger.

I'll talk to the wife (pictured)

MorganFairchild.jpg

and see how she feels about it.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've got something like 10 pounds of pulled pork in my freezer from my last cook... pulled pork sandwiches, anyone?

Highly recommend smoked queso. Absolutely delish.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Highly recommend smoked queso. Absolutely delish.
done that once before... Pretty good stuff! Also - are you in the Boston area, by chance? Guessing from your user name.

Reactions: 617

pierre

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hello,

adding a small EQ, the score of this speaker goes from 2.4 to 4.3.

Here is the details of the score components:
Code:
         SPK auEQ
-----------------
NBD  ON 0.80 0.65
NBD  LW 0.73 0.47
NBD PIR 0.73 0.49
SM  PIR 0.46 0.80
SM   SP 0.60 0.76
LFX       47   47
LFQ     1.42 1.42
-----------------
Score    2.4  4.3
-----------------

Visually the EQ looks like:
filters0.png

and it flattens the LW and the PIR except around the very messy zone.
filters1.png

filters2.png

Here is the EQ in APO format:

Code:
EQ for JBL Control 29AV-1 computed from ASR data
Preference Score 2.4 with EQ 4.3
Generated from http://github.com/pierreaubert/spinorama/generate_peqs.py v0.11
Dated: 2021-09-18-06:47:49

Preamp: -4.7 dB

Filter  1: ON PK Fc  3048 Hz Gain +4.63 dB Q 4.59
Filter  2: ON PK Fc  6595 Hz Gain -3.97 dB Q 3.12
Filter  3: ON PK Fc 14155 Hz Gain +4.00 dB Q 3.43