• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL Array 880 Review (Center Speaker)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 83 44.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 69 36.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 11 5.9%

• Total voters

dasdoing

Major Contributor
this layout requires waveguides for the woofer to result in constant dispersion, else lobing will ocure before the crossover: https://www.production-partner.de/test/line-array-test-seeburg-acoustic-line-galeo-c/

now this might only work in a distance?

on the other hand even 60 degrees at the narrowing should be enough; because beeing outside of this angle would mean to be on the right of the right speaker. it is reproducing manly speach anyways

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have read some places, that somewhat narrow dispersion of the center is a good thing,
Contrary to what we are mostly saying in here.

If creates a pin point image that is centered in one location only, even if it suffers a bit from angles left and right of center.
In my (limited) experience with center speakers, I want the center to have the same reflection profile as the speakers flanking it. Otherwise, it sounds different and can call attention to itself. This breaks the immersion and takes you out of the movie, causing you to think about the speaker you're hearing.

Top Bottom