• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL AC25 Speaker Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 108 69.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 42 26.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the JBL AC25 "ultra-narrow" 2-way speaker. It is on kind loan from a member and costs US $1007.64.
JBL Ultra Compact 2-way Loudspeaker Speaker Review.jpg

I tested it with the grill in place as it is screwed to the front baffle. Still, I wish I had taken it apart before the measurements to get a better handle of driver locations and the three ports. The grill has black foam behind it that would not let me find the drivers even with a flashlight. Back panel is interesting in the way it has both screw terminals and SpeakOn:
JBL Ultra Compact 2-way Loudspeaker Speaker back panel speakon Review.jpg

I tested using the screw terminals.

The case is extremely solid and heavy especially for its size. You literally imagine it surviving a tank going over it!

As you see below, the frequency response was very poor and rough. I did not figure out why until I read the fine print on the spec sheet saying something to the effect of "FIR Turning." At first this did not make sense as this is a passive speaker and FIR is a DSP filtering method. It was not until I finished testing the speaker that I realized JBL provides a set of filters to be loaded into their DSP/DSP amps. I wish they had made this clearer. For this reason, there is no rating from me for this speaker as I didn't have a way to install said filters.

I eyeballed the location of the tweeter through the grill. And as noted, measurements are with the grill on.

NOTE: our company, Madrona Digital is a dealer for Harman products (and hence JBL) for custom integration business. So while there is no benefit to us one way or the other how this review goes, feel free to read whatever bias you want into my subjective remarks.

JBL AC25 Raw Measurements
As usual, we start with our anechoic frequency responses:
JBL Ultra Compact 2-way Loudspeaker Speaker frequency response measurements.png

That is one rough frequency response and only makes sense in the context of active correction in upstream DSP/amplification with DSP. Here is the company spec which I assume is with DSP correction:

JBL Ultra Compact 2-way Loudspeaker Speaker frequency response company specification.png

Without filtering, the early window and PIR don't make much sense but here they are anyway:
JBL Ultra Compact 2-way Loudspeaker step early reflection response measurements.png

JBL Ultra Compact 2-way Loudspeaker step predicted in-room response measurements.png

Horizontal beam width and directivity is not perfect but not bad either:
JBL Ultra Compact 2-way Loudspeaker beam width measurements.png

JBL Ultra Compact 2-way Loudspeaker horizontal directivity measurements.png

Vertically however we have dual woofers which beam at certain frequencies (same as MTM problem but in reverse):

JBL Ultra Compact 2-way Loudspeaker Vertical directivity measurements.png

The optimal listening angle will require some trial and error. The closer you sit to the speaker, the more exaggerated the effect becomes.

I was once again very surprised to see high distortion in JBL tweeters:
JBL Ultra Compact 2-way Loudspeaker Relative Distortion THD response measurements.png

JBL Ultra Compact 2-way Loudspeaker Distortion THD response measurements.png

Impedance is fairly high which should make it easier to drive with longer cable runs:

JBL Ultra Compact 2-way Loudspeaker impedance and phase measurements.png

Waterfall shows what I think is port resonances:

JBL Ultra Compact 2-way Loudspeaker CSD waterfall measurements.png

The trough by the way is due to cancellation at the height I had the microphone as explained just above.

And here is the step response:
JBL Ultra Compact 2-way Loudspeaker step response measurements.png

JBL AC25 Listening Tests and Equalization
As I mentioned, I went into this testing without realizing the need for filters. The result was boomy sound with strange emphasis of some frequencies in mid-range. At first I did not want to attempt to develop a filter but took a shot at it anyway:
JBL Ultra Compact 2-way Loudspeaker Speaker EQ.png

I tuned the response quite a bit to have a built-in room target (sloping down) as otherwise it sounded too bright. The brightness may have also been due to distortion in tweeter -- I can't be sure. But what is above, was a pretty good. Turning the filter set off caused a dramatic loss in fidelity with the sound becoming dull, boomy and lacking resolution. It simply dropped below what I could call "hi fi." Fortunately with the filter in place and dual woofer's power handling, I could crank this up without any sudden increase in distortion or bottoming out.

Conclusions
I realize this is almost half a review given the fact that I did not have access or even knowledge of the filters that go with the speaker. Still, I hope the measurements provide a good foundation for someone to develop their own EQ without the need to use JBL DSP products. Overall, I am impressed with power handling and solid packaging of the speaker.

I can't provide a recommendation one way or the other without evaluating the AC25 with its companion filtering. Wish the company would make this more clear in its marketing material.
-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Attachments

• JBL AC25 Frequency Response Measurements.zip
    60.9 KB · Views: 61

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Is this a trend we are seeing today?

Speakers intentionally designed to be used with DSP... and therefore, the core frequency response becomes almost irrelevant - it becomes all about how it behaves at different SPL's (distortion issues), resonances, and dispersion pattern.

The core of the evaluations need to shift - and auditioning can only be done in EQ'd setups...

You mentioned "port resonance" - but I can see no ports on this speaker? is this a sealed design?

Edit: are those ports below the tweeter? and a triangular one between the woofers?

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
You mentioned "port resonance" - but I can see no ports on this speaker?
There are three traingular looking ports on the front baffle. Two below the tweeter and one below and to the right of the middle woofer. Kind of hard to see in my picture.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
There are three traingular looking ports on the front baffle. Two below the tweeter and one below and to the right of the middle woofer. Kind of hard to see in my picture.
Thank you - yes I went to the JBL website - and I thought that might be the case...

wwenze

Major Contributor
Ok, I see the ports, all 3 of them in 1-and-a-half pairs

300px-Confused_Nick_Young.jpg

JBL engineers:
fetchimage

Is this a trend we are seeing today?

Speakers intentionally designed to be used with DSP... and therefore, the core frequency response becomes almost irrelevant - it becomes all about how it behaves at different SPL's (distortion issues), resonances, and dispersion pattern.

The core of the evaluations need to shift - and auditioning can only be done in EQ'd setups...

You mentioned "port resonance" - but I can see no ports on this speaker? is this a sealed design?

Edit: are those ports below the tweeter? and a triangular one between the woofers?

EQ: The next negative feedback?

JSmith

Master Contributor

Maiky76

Hi,

Here is my take on the EQ.
Please report your findings, positive or negative!

The following EQs are “anechoic” EQs to get the speaker right before room integration. If you able to implement these EQs you must add EQ at LF for room integration, that is usually not optional… see hints there: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...helf-speaker-review.11144/page-26#post-800725

The raw data with corrected ER and PIR:

Score no EQ: 0.9
With Sub: 4.5

Spinorama with no EQ:
  • ?
JBL AC25 No EQ Spinorama.png

Directivity:

Better stay at tweeter height
Horizontally, better toe-in the speakers by 10/20deg and have the axis crossing in front of the listening location, might help dosing the upper range.
JBL AC25 2D surface Directivity Contour Only Data.png

EQ design:
I have generated two EQs. The APO config files are attached.
  • The first one, labelled, LW is targeted at making the LW flat
  • The second, labelled Score, starts with the first one and adds the score as an optimization variable.
  • The EQs are designed in the context of regular stereo use i.e. domestic environment, no warranty is provided for a near field use in a studio environment although the LW might be better suited for this purpose.
Score EQ LW: 2.9
with sub: 6.5

Score EQ Score: 4.0
with sub: 7.5

Code:
JBL AC25 APO EQ LW 96000Hz
April032023-121848

Preamp: -3.5 dB

Filter 1: ON PK Fc 193.58,    -4.48,    2.26
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 533.25,    -1.85,    2.60
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 1056.86,    -5.04,    2.18
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 1348.37,    2.39,    2.81
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 2228.78,    -1.46,    2.15
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 5231.49,    3.52,    1.44
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 9996.88,    4.21,    3.30
Filter 8: ON PK Fc 13200.97,    -5.91,    2.52

JBL AC25 APO EQ Score 96000Hz
April032023-121848

Preamp: -0.3 dB

Filter 1: ON PK Fc 189.98,    -4.55,    1.97
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 514.79,    -2.07,    1.70
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 1069.58,    -5.04,    1.64
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 1366.53,    3.41,    4.70
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 2416.09,    -2.32,    3.15
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 3966.22,    -2.00,    4.05
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 4279.24,    2.02,    4.51
Filter 8: ON PK Fc 10241.22,    3.16,    4.62
Filter 9: ON PK Fc 13200.97,    -8.02,    1.92
JBL AC25 EQ Design.png

Spinorama EQ LW
JBL AC25 LW EQ Spinorama.png

Spinorama EQ Score
JBL AC25 Score EQ Spinorama.png

Zoom PIR-LW-ON
JBL AC25 Zoom.png

Regression - Tonal
Score EQ aligns with out-of-the box!?
JBL AC25 Regression.png

Radar no EQ vs EQ score
Nice improvements
JBL AC25 Radar.png

The rest of the plots is attached.

Attachments

• JBL AC25 APO EQ LW 96000Hz.txt
    428 bytes · Views: 40
  • JBL AC25 APO EQ Score 96000Hz.txt
    478 bytes · Views: 47
  • JBL AC25 2D surface Directivity Contour Data.png
    JBL AC25 2D surface Directivity Contour Data.png
    291.9 KB · Views: 44
  • JBL AC25 3D surface Vertical Directivity Data.png
    JBL AC25 3D surface Vertical Directivity Data.png
    446.7 KB · Views: 48
  • JBL AC25 3D surface Horizontal Directivity Data.png
    JBL AC25 3D surface Horizontal Directivity Data.png
    453.2 KB · Views: 34
  • JBL AC25 Normalized Directivity data.png
    JBL AC25 Normalized Directivity data.png
    331.7 KB · Views: 35
  • JBL AC25 Raw Directivity data.png
    JBL AC25 Raw Directivity data.png
    462.3 KB · Views: 44
  • JBL AC25 Reflexion data.png
    JBL AC25 Reflexion data.png
    147.6 KB · Views: 36
  • JBL AC25 LW data.png
    JBL AC25 LW data.png
    153.3 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s interesting. We see the same trend toward digital correction in cameras. Companies like Leica used to pride themselves on correcting everything in analog but it turns out that it’s much easier to do a good design that responds to digital lens correction.

The big problem is that we have tools like DANTE but not for copy protected sources. I have to wonder with music no longer copy protected and everyone on a subscription* and video moving toward subscriptions as well, might it be possible to drop copy protection in the future??

*(I, for one, love my physical media but it’s clear and exception to the mainstream today.)

I do like the form factor though. Nice and small!

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sometimes it is really hard for me to understand the Harman group, not only the measurements are poor but also the price is crazy, considering the same JBL Pro sells an active 15" DSP PA loudspeaker with 133 dB max SPL for similar money https://jblpro.com/en/products/prx915

pierre

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I tried an EQ too. Similar to @Maiky76's finding the EQ that maximise the score is not too good for flattening the LW.

The score goes from 1.0 to 3.9 with this EQ. If you add a large subwoofer, then the scores goes from 4.7 to 7.1.

filters_eq.jpg

The eq is below. Looks like the optimiser is not too smart (12 and 11 are the same and could be one, 8&9 too).
Code:
EQ for JBL AC25 computed from ASR data
Preference Score 1.12 with EQ 3.95
Generated from http://github.com/pierreaubert/spinorama/generate_peqs.py v0.21
Dated: 2023-04-03-13:47:55

Preamp: -6.2 dB

Filter  1: ON LS Fc   128 Hz Gain +6.00 dB
Filter  2: ON PK Fc  4976 Hz Gain +3.43 dB Q 0.69
Filter  3: ON PK Fc  9805 Hz Gain +4.29 dB Q 5.90
Filter  4: ON PK Fc  1417 Hz Gain +3.68 dB Q 5.84
Filter  5: ON PK Fc   308 Hz Gain +1.69 dB Q 2.74
Filter  6: ON PK Fc   529 Hz Gain -0.95 dB Q 5.96
Filter  7: ON PK Fc  1014 Hz Gain -1.41 dB Q 3.33
Filter  8: ON PK Fc 12308 Hz Gain -1.22 dB Q 2.10
Filter  9: ON PK Fc 12292 Hz Gain -1.22 dB Q 2.39
Filter 10: ON PK Fc 12067 Hz Gain -1.22 dB Q 3.11
Filter 11: ON PK Fc   191 Hz Gain -1.22 dB Q 3.14
Filter 12: ON PK Fc   190 Hz Gain -1.21 dB Q 3.23

and you can compare the EQ with those from @Maiky76 :
eq_compare.jpg

Last edited:

JktHifi

Freq response 90Hz-18Khz is for mid/vocal but two-way.
The brand is JBL so I cast vote #2

TabCam

FiIR filtering will smooth the frequency response but the distortion from 2.5kHz-10kHz will probably be worse. I would never consider buying even with filter. To me 0.5% distortion should be easily reached above 200 Hz and I consider 0.2% good and 0.1% or less excellent.

Maybe also a good idea to publish preference scores with the main article? @Maiky76 , what factors does the preference score take into account? 1 meter FR, In room FR, directivity, distortion, a predicted sweet spot, etc?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Sometimes it is really hard for me to understand the Harman group, not only the measurements are poor but also the price is crazy, considering the same JBL Pro sells an active 15" DSP PA loudspeaker with 133 dB max SPL for similar money https://jblpro.com/en/products/prx915
Now you have me wondering if this would make a good center channel. It even has its own speaker delay adjustment. Wide dispersion and maybe I could even hear Christopher Nolan movie dialog.

Plus it has gain for direct microphone input. Perfect for when I do karaoke parties at home. Even has feedback suppression. With 133 db SPL if the neighbors complain, I can just turn it up until I don't hear them. They make a 908 and 912 with 8 inch and 12 inch drivers. Same power and other features.

Last edited:

anphex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
A speaker being purposedly designed to be used with a DSP is fine but then it should be able to handle the DSP and not be a wreck distortion-wise.
The price is just insane for this bad performance.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It looks like their DSP amplifiers use FIR filters to linearise the response:

1680505920058.png

I tried downloading one of those files, it has some config file with an XML file extension, but it turns out it's not XML at all :facepalm:.

And what's up with JBL tweeters and high distortion? It seems almost any JBL product tested seems to have some kind of issue with tweeters.

Top Bottom