• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL A130: Help a Noob!

lain

The A130 have arrived! Finally! I'm thrilled - well, with anticipation, because I bought banana plugs for the wire and those black & red connectors have me stumped. According to the manual, installation is as easy as unscrewing them, yanking out the plugs, screwing them back, and connecting the bananas through them. There's no mention of power tools or super hero moves.

I've failed the first step. How do you guys do it?

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Banana plugs normally just slide into the hole. Match black black, red red.

OP
L

lain

Banana plugs normally just slide into the hole. Match black black, red red.
To get to the hole, I must first unscrew the black and red connectors and remove the plug that blocks it. But I haven't had luck unscrewing them completely, as the manual instructs:

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2022-10-06 20-05-07.png
    Screenshot from 2022-10-06 20-05-07.png
    47.4 KB · Views: 157

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To get to the hole, I must first unscrew the black and red connectors and remove the plug that blocks it. But I haven't had luck unscrewing them completely, as the manual instructs.
Post a picture. I tried to find the manual on the JBL site but got a not found.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had just edited the post above to show the image from the manual.
Pic 2 you need to pull out the little plug. It will be plastic probably red or black. Then the banana will slide in.

OP
L

lain

Pic 2 you need to pull out the little plug. It will be plastic probably red or black. Then the banana will slide in.
I understand that, but I can't complete step 1. I can unscrew them partially (enough for other types of connection), but not completely. Without doing that, I don't have access to the little plugs.

GDK

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I understand that, but I can't complete step 1. I can unscrew them partially (enough for other types of connection), but not completely. Without doing that, I don't have access to the little plugs.
Get rid of the banana plugs and just connect using the bare wire?

OP
L

lain

Get rid of the banana plugs and just connect using the bare wire?
I was afraid of messing that up. Is there anything I should be aware of while using bare wire?

GDK

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I was afraid of messing that up. Is there anything I should be aware of while using bare wire?
Just make sure the two wires aren’t touching when they’re connected. Then never worry about it again.

OP
L

lain

Just make sure the two wires aren’t touching when they’re connected. Then never worry about it again.
Alright. I remember watching a video advising against doing that, but I'll give it a shot. Will read up and get it done.

Midnight Audiophile

If they're like these no unscrewing or anything needed, you just pop them out with a pin, nail, fingernail, or small screwdriver. Then just insert the banana plugs.

IMG_4771.jpg
IMG_4790.jpg
IMG_4791.jpg

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The A130 have arrived!
...and how do you like them? Prices are quite good now, I'm thinking of changing out some Wharfedale towers for A130 (with subwoofer) for aesthetic reasons. (And, did you get the little red things out?)

Top Bottom