• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL 8330 mkII THX surround

Andysu

Major Contributor
I may as well use a video. Here testing JBL 8330 mkII bass driver replacement due one was utterly damaged and during testing my cat Magic climbed into the 8330 while I was out the room and only thing got him of the box was rustling cat food packet.

The JBL 8330 mkI and mkII maybe best JBL surround THX ever made.

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
JBL 8330 mkII THX make for good use for cats to climb around on or sleeping on.

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
Not many of this forum now will own actual THX JBL surrounds that are far cheap then overrated overpriced home theatre surround tiny speakers costing hundreds. JBL 8330 is the logical THX.

m4rkd

hi! I have a chance of getting JBL 8330s, for around €65 each, not sure if these would be a good fit for use in a 3.0 set up.

11 of these, wow!

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
11 surrounds wow .
originally used smaller JBL control 1 x2 sidewalls and x4 back wall and my own matrix overhead x2 . i think i had x12 of these others may be below surround in the video not seen as it is my special THX cinema surround surprise . but its more like 20 when counting each speaker driver which is , a speaker of whole but if one fails it be one less of that speaker , unless driven full-range with no passive/active/loudspeaker management DSP crossover . so 20 surrounds . hey , imax liemax like bragging they use 44 speakers . well i have more than liemax . each to their own . meowwwwwwww . lol

i rather have my cat Sooty back to play with .

the control 1 was cheap and i could have easily expanded the number of amplifiers to speaker so each gets its own 8ohm/DSP PEQ time align , polarity/phase dynamic-EQ ( oh getting a bit pricey now with extra more DSP ) i could have expanded from x10 to x40 and well its possible a few more and that will be just for the side-surrounds/back surrounds overhead and below surrounds .

so presently the number of surrounds is more than most top home cinemas . even most regular cinemas . then again real life has no bounds of boundaries of speakers to be used for surround . laws of physics simply do not apply . they vanish . lol meowwwww lol

but the JBL 8330 mk I mkII is a THX classic speaker for surround use . good quality parts . how they are assembled into a surround is down to the individual and their listening ability of how to use them for surround and surround expansion , these are highly recommend .

Last edited:
Top Bottom