• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL 708P Review (Professional Monitor)

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What clearly does matter without a shadow of a doubt?
1 Loud enough
2 Sufficiently low distortion
3 Deep enough
4 Flat frequency response
5 Integration with mains

A quality ported sub is going to beat a quality sealed sub on 1, 2, and mostly 3. They'll tie on 4 and 5.

They may not tie on 4 and 5. A low-tuned vent is at potential cross purposes with both, especially in a smallish cabinet. The reason is vent resonances, which can be very high and not far removed from the passband. That can be fixed with a passive radiator, but those are a lot more expensive than plastic or cardboard tubing.

As for finish, the 708p and the ash are about equal in looks.

Disagree. 708 is not attractive, but at least they're reasonably compact (for their output) and when you're seated most of what you see is grille and waveguide. Black ash would be worse than the flimsy black paint for the rest of it, IMO. A giant subwoofer box in black ash is straight eyesore. I guess if you can hide it behind something else it's OK.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Aiming the vents away from the listener and maybe towards something sound absorbent can help if vent resonance is an issue. SVS's ported and sealed are all about equally and impressively flat.

I guess we can always turn the lights down low to hide the finish.

OK, maybe I'm "age biased" (53.) - to hear any resonances near to 20 kHz, I would have to crank up the volume to insane levels. With normal levels, with lots of luck I will be able to hear up to 12-14 kHz, covering probably 99,9% of all music genres. Much of the pseudo-technical talk from manufacturers' marketing departments is IMHO just plain old "voodoo". Fidelity should be as high as reasonably possible, but there are many things that can be measured, but hardly heard - like little 1-2dB deviations in measured frequency response of a speaker, compared to the "mess" any real listening room will make of it. Just my 2 cents ;)
Paul Wilbur Klipsch figured this out in the 1940s designing the Klipschhorn. Now 80 years later speaker makers seems to make a big fuzz about being able to play above 20khz...

Edgar

Forum Donor
I like to buy two new 708P with delivery to New York City. I just checked on the JBL website and in the JBL shop from Amazon and in both shops they are temporary not available. Do you have any experience how temporary temporary is?
I need to have them delivered latest in March.
Obviously a good price is appreciated but it is more important to make sure they are 100% alright and arrive on time.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I like to buy two new 708P with delivery to New York City. I just checked on the JBL website and in the JBL shop from Amazon and in both shops they are temporary not available. Do you have any experience how temporary temporary is?
I need to have them delivered latest in March.
Obviously a good price is appreciated but it is more important to make sure they are 100% alright and arrive on time.
Contact Sweetwater.
Jimmy Itela Sales Engineer
Sweetwater Sound Inc.

jimmy_itela@sweetwater.com
800.222.4700 x3416
(260)254-1358 (text)

Here's one on ebay from Sweetwater: https://www.ebay.com/itm/265517131082?epid=595475085&hash=item3dd20de54a:g:IyYAAOSwwHJh72lM

Maybe Jimmy can get you a deal on that used one?

RCAguy

2.5% is a lot but it is a narrow spectrum which may be the reason it wasn't audible to me.
1) That rise in 2nd above 6kHz from 40dB below 96SPL produces even artifacts >12kHz, which begin to be inaudible. Worse sounding but possibly less audible still is 3rd HD, which t 96SPL is still lower in % and higher in frequency.

2) I wonder if some sort of port damping could tame the misbehavior ~900Hz?

jdubs

Forum Donor
Hey all, what is the total # of PEQ bands that can be applied at once. Is it 12 + 8?

-Jim

chadsch

Ok thanks a bunch for this review. I'm about to pull the trigger on the 708i and this is the most comprehensive review I've found on the 7 series. Very happy to see the response from these. As much as I would like to get the powered version, I firmly believe that the non powered versions will last decades longer. In cabinet amps just don't fare well in the long haul in my experience.
The review solidified my determination to obtain the 7 series, as opposed to the others I was considering. Much respect to the person that took over 1000 measurements for this review.

Reactions: Pio

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok thanks a bunch for this review. I'm about to pull the trigger on the 708i and this is the most comprehensive review I've found on the 7 series. Very happy to see the response from these. As much as I would like to get the powered version, I firmly believe that the non powered versions will last decades longer. In cabinet amps just don't fare well in the long haul in my experience.
The review solidified my determination to obtain the 7 series, as opposed to the others I was considering. Much respect to the person that took over 1000 measurements for this review.
For 708i, make sure you have DSP control.

Reactions: Pio

billqs

Looking for possibly changing from M&K S150's to a JBL horn arrangement in my home theater to more closely match cinema sound. I have a friend who mixes for studios and he said the JBL 708 is the closest he had heard to the sound he hears on dubbing stages (he had to set this up due to COVID restrictions offsite for the director.) Since 708P are relatively hard to get I was wondering if something like JBL IHD 1600 would be a decent substitute. I already have Crown Amps and don't need an active setup (though I'm not opposed to it).

The 3 series monitors from JBL don't seem loud enough for home cinema work. Thanks!

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Looking for possibly changing from M&K S150's to a JBL horn arrangement in my home theater to more closely match cinema sound. I have a friend who mixes for studios and he said the JBL 708 is the closest he had heard to the sound he hears on dubbing stages (he had to set this up due to COVID restrictions offsite for the director.) Since 708P are relatively hard to get I was wondering if something like JBL IHD 1600 would be a decent substitute. I already have Crown Amps and don't need an active setup. The 3 series monitors from JBL don't seem loud enough for home cinema work. Thanks!

Does the 708i possibly have better availability?

billqs

Good question! I haven't seen many of them either, mostly used. I have a JBL SDP75 Sound Processor so I have a way to use the acoustic files for Active EQ, but I don't have the spare channels to do it. The SDP75 I have is the 16 channels version, with a recently introduced firmware to add a couple of outboard DACS to produce 4 additional channels. I have 16 speakers in my set up, and even adding the 4 channels I could only spend 2 channels for Active eq on 2 of the speakers which I guess would be Right and Left. I would really need the same ability on the Center channel as well.

Bugal1998

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Good question! I haven't seen many of them either, mostly used. I have a JBL SDP75 Sound Processor so I have a way to use the acoustic files for Active EQ, but I don't have the spare channels to do it. The SDP75 I have is the 16 channels version, with a recently introduced firmware to add a couple of outboard DACS to produce 4 additional channels. I have 16 speakers in my set up, and even adding the 4 channels I could only spend 2 channels for Active eq on 2 of the speakers which I guess would be Right and Left. I would really need the same ability on the Center channel as well.
Are the 708i bi-amped? I thought they had an internal crossover, and hence need only a single amp channel for power, with EQ only needed for frequency response? If this is correct, the four extra channels on your SDP-75 should be enough for your LCR.

Edit: Just confirmed in the manual that bi-amplification is optional so you should be able to EQ up to four of the 708i speakers if you aren't concerned about bi-amping.

Rahan

I have read somewhere that even an audio engineerr responsable from the LSR 708 developpement said he can't hear any difference bewteen the biamp (active crossover)and the single amp (with passive crossover) of the 708i. I think the 708i with a simple DSP "before" your dac will be just fine.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looking for possibly changing from M&K S150's to a JBL horn arrangement in my home theater to more closely match cinema sound. I have a friend who mixes for studios and he said the JBL 708 is the closest he had heard to the sound he hears on dubbing stages (he had to set this up due to COVID restrictions offsite for the director.) Since 708P are relatively hard to get I was wondering if something like JBL IHD 1600 would be a decent substitute. I already have Crown Amps and don't need an active setup (though I'm not opposed to it).

The 3 series monitors from JBL don't seem loud enough for home cinema work. Thanks!
Where are you located?

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Birmingham, Alabama
Hmmm... yeah, they hard to find now. Shipping my used pair from California might be expensive. I find myself listening to music 99% in the car, my stereo not being used at all.

billqs

If you want to shoot me a pm and let me know what you want for them, we can see? I'm heavily invested in my M&Ks right now, so I need to get some line on selling them.

Descartes

Major Contributor
This is a review and detailed measurements of the JBL 708P studio monitor (active speaker). It is on kind loan from a member and costs US $1,799 each.

Unlike the lower-end in the series, the 708P exudes seriousness both in look, feel and controls:

View attachment 109985

I appreciated the handles on each side as this is a heavy bookshelf speaker. The white LED stands out a bit much. Hopefully there is a way to turn it off your can put some tape on it.

As expected in this price, you have both analog and digital inputs with a bevy of features:
View attachment 109986

Signal processing is at 24-bit/192 kHz and there are provisions for multi-band room EQ and such. Alas, the same primitive LCD interface is provided that is slow to respond and quite grainy. It does the job though. For my measurements I set the input to +4 dBu. For listening tests, I only had unbalanced so selected -10 dBu for that.

I left all the controls off/as you see them both for measurements and listening tests.

Measurements that you are about to see were performed using the Klippel Near-field Scanner (NFS). This is a robotic measurement system that analyzes the speaker all around and is able (using advanced mathematics and dual scan) to subtract room reflections (so where I measure it doesn't matter). It also measures the speaker at close distance ("near-field") which sharply reduces the impact of room noise. Both of these factors enable testing in ordinary rooms yet results that can be more accurate than an anechoic chamber. In a nutshell, the measurements show the actual sound coming out of the speaker independent of the room.

I performed over 1000 measurement which resulted in error rate of around 1%.

Temperature was 59 degrees F at sea level. I kept the speaker indoor at 70 degrees prior to starting the measurements.

Measurements are compliant with latest speaker research into what can predict the speaker preference and is standardized in CEA/CTA-2034 ANSI specifications. Likewise listening tests are performed per research that shows mono listening is much more revealing of differences between speakers than stereo or multichannel.

Reference axis was the tweeter center.

JBL 708P Measurements
Acoustic measurements can be grouped in a way that can be perceptually analyzed to determine how good a speaker is and how it can be used in a room. This so called spinorama shows us just about everything we need to know about the speaker with respect to tonality and some flaws:

View attachment 109987

Other than a slight issue around 600 to 900 Hz, this is extremely good frequency response, not only on-axis and off-axis. The cause of the disturbance is easy to identify when we measure each radiating surface up close:

View attachment 109988

If you follow the orange curve which is the port response, we see that instead of continuing to decline, it starts to rise up (resonate) and that winds up disturbing the otherwise good response of the woofer. The woofer itself also gets a bit wiggly above 2 kHz but levels are pretty low there so impact is small (you can see a few notches in the spin graph before).

Early window reflections are good sans a dip which is caused by vertical bounce:
View attachment 109989

Putting the two together, our far-field response is such:

View attachment 109990

As noted, there is less tilt here than we like to see for hi-fi speakers but for professional use, you want flatter response and that is what the 708P delivers. You can always tailor the response either inside the speaker or outside with EQ.

As noted, directivity is good but check out how good it is when we look at the beam width at constant SPL drop:
View attachment 109991

Wow, that is nice! It is also confirmed when we look at contour map:
View attachment 109992

Vertical response is not as good so stay a few degrees above or below the tweeter axis:
View attachment 109993

Waterfall display shows the port and woofer resonances:

View attachment 109994

Distortion is quite low at 86 dBSPL but then rises at 96:
View attachment 109995

I was surprised to see the tweeter complaining at the higher level:
View attachment 109996

JBL 708P Speaker Listening Test and Equalization
The 708P is too large for my desktop so I used my far field listening setup. I was incredibly impressed by the fidelity from 10 foot distance. It produced the sound and tonality that I expect from a perfect speaker! OK, it got a bit better when I took out the port resonance:
View attachment 109997

The tonality didn't change much but there was a perception of more clarity and more open sound (could be placebo but I feel good saying otherwise).

The 708P could play loud with excellent dynamics. I was NOT able to find its limit even when playing music with sub-bass frequencies. Mind you, it did not play those tones loudly but neither did it get distorted. My listening space is open and massive and despite using just one speaker, I had no trouble filling the entire space. Pure pleasure is all I can say about the sound of the 708P.

Conclusions
Technically and objectively, the JBL 708P is near perfect. There is a bit of port resonance which while there, is far better than what we see especially in front-ported speakers. Distortion is excellent at low levels but becomes objectively an issue at elevated level but it was not something I noticed when listening. Speaking of listening, if you have $3,600, you can buy a pair of these and be done with it as far as superbly sounding system. This applies whether you are listening for enjoyment or work. Pervious JBL series I have tested had power limitations which are completely removed here. As such, subjectively I had nothing to complain about.

It is my pleasure to highly recommend the JBL 708P.

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Appreciate any donations using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
“OK, it got a bit better when I took out the port resonance”

How did you get rid of that by plugging the port with foam?

Top Bottom