• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL 705P Studio Monitor Review

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Explained as part of a 2006 story from the Home Theater & Audio Review Vault:

The THX crossover consists of an 80 Hz, 4th order Linkwitz/Riley filter alignment, and it was not chosen lightly or without serious consideration. As the crossover frequency increases, it becomes harder to blend the subwoofer with a satellite, and the subwoofer becomes more difficult to audibly "hide". At the same time, as the crossover frequency increases, distortion from the satellite decreases, the total dynamic range increases, and loading the room for the flattest response becomes much easier. The logic of the 80 Hz crossover point is that it's high enough to ease demands on the speakers and amplifier, but low enough to make the whole setup work without a tremendous headache. The 4th order (24dB/octave roll-off, 6dB/octave/pole) Linkwitz/Riley alignment not only offers a steep slope, but one that immediately transitions to that slope, maximizing the benefits of that slope near the crossover point. The high-pass side minimizes excursion and power requirements, while the low-pass minimizes more localizable content at higher frequencies.
https://hometheaterhifi.com/volume_13_1/feature-article-thx-1-2006-part-3.html

I always suspected this was the case.

cany89

Excellent response. I actually messed up and meant to ask the question of @cany89 as he had made some statements with no supporting evidence.

Please hold your horses with supporting evidence, etc. You don't need measurements to understand what I said.
From my listening distance, the low mids of JBLs are very weak. I use my sub to compensate for that and also get some good bass - for rock music. I'm not into deep bass. An 8-inch driver is much faster responding than 12-15 inches, for the low mids and top ranges of bass. (Considering they are the same quality).

What fast/slow topic you are after is not my case. We don't need to go into that debate. Yes, the quality of the bass is very dependant on the room. Yes, the el-cheapo sub in a good room can be better than the good sub in a bad room, etc...

RobL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Would the jbl 310s be worth considering? Looks to be a simple integration with the 705’s. Or would I be better to spend a little more money on something more powerful?

BillH

Forum Donor
An 8-inch driver is much faster responding than 12-15 inches, for the low mids and top ranges of bass. (Considering they are the same quality)..
If an 8-inch driver were faster it would be playing at a different frequency. Maybe there is another explanation such as the fact that maybe your 8-inch doesn't excite some annoying room modes or your subwoofer has very high distortion.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
What fast/slow topic you are after is not my case. We don't need to go into that debate.
Then you shouldn't make unsupported statements like "An 8-inch driver is much faster responding than 12-15 inches" .

RobL

Forum Donor
Wow, didn’t fully realize how small these are! Now just have to get them in place and see if a subwoofer is going to be needed.

Attachments

• 756D8F08-8B0F-49AD-B2E1-5CD431C26CB6.jpeg
    756D8F08-8B0F-49AD-B2E1-5CD431C26CB6.jpeg
    56.3 KB · Views: 182

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Would the jbl 310s be worth considering? Looks to be a simple integration with the 705’s. Or would I be better to spend a little more money on something more powerful?
I would go more powerful, but it really depends on you and your desires.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I also recommend something more powerful, that little 200watt / 10" driver will leave a lot to be desired in the deep bass subwoofer territory.
For just a bit more 12" subs from either HSU or SVS will offer serious low end grunt. I own products from both and can recommend them highly.
https://www.svsound.com/collections/1000-pro-series-subwoofers
https://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2mk5.html

RobL

Forum Donor
Thanks guys. You know, I think I will use use them as-is for a little while. In my room these go as low as the quite large floorstanders they replaced. For most of the music I listen too, they are fine. I’m a bit gobsmacked at how good these little boxes sound! Amir’s subjective listening review nailed it.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks guys. You know, I think I will use use them as-is for a little while. In my room these go as low as the quite large floorstanders they replaced. For most of the music I listen too, they are fine. I’m a bit gobsmacked at how good these little boxes sound! Amir’s subjective listening review nailed it.
As did the measurements.

Rahan

I'm thinking to add a sub to my 705p as well. ther are AES pluged, so I have hight expectations on the hedd 8sub. Does any one tried it?

RobL

Forum Donor
Sorry for the noob question...but here goes.
I want use on the optical out on a pw link ——-> aes inputs on the speakers so I can use ARC and to keep everything in the digital domain. How is the best way to do this? I seached toslink to aes converters and this comes up but looks to be mono.

CumSum

I'm thinking to add a sub to my 705p as well. ther are AES pluged, so I have hight expectations on the hedd 8sub. Does any one tried it?
Subwoofers from non-subwoofer specific companies almost always suck or are very overpriced. That Hedd sub is overpriced. "Studio" subwoofers are all over priced and are honestly not that great.

Take a look at what Rythmik has to offer. For the price of the Hedd you could have two Rythmik L12's or a single F15HP. Other good options from HSU or SVS.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree. I'd not buy a sub from a non-sub company, unless it was for a low-end system or I wanted the looks.

Shao Yang

Sorry for the noob question...but here goes.
I want use on the optical out on a pw link ——-> aes inputs on the speakers so I can use ARC and to keep everything in the digital domain. How is the best way to do this? I seached toslink to aes converters and this comes up but looks to be mono.
I am currently using 705p‘s AES input from spdif, I use a RCA to XLR cable to connect it to the spdif output of my DAC. It should work unless the cable is too long(mine is 2 meter). If you are worried about balanced to unbalanced connection, you can buy a balance to unbalance converter, I found Canary makes them.

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
I am currently using 705p‘s AES input from spdif, I use a RCA to XLR cable to connect it to the spdif output of my DAC. It should work unless the cable is too long(mine is 2 meter). If you are worried about balanced to unbalanced connection, you can buy a balance to unbalance converter, I found Canary makes them.
Welcome Aboard @Shao Yang.

Rahan

Subwoofers from non-subwoofer specific companies almost always suck or are very overpriced. That Hedd sub is overpriced. "Studio" subwoofers are all over priced and are honestly not that great.

Take a look at what Rythmik has to offer. For the price of the Hedd you could have two Rythmik L12's or a single F15HP. Other good options from HSU or SVS.

The brands like rythmik or svs don't offert AES input. I need it. I don't understand why you only trust sub specific companies. Brands like Adam dynaudio psi, PMC etc.. they have full rang main monitors in there rang. So,
I think they know how to build proper drivers. Still, I am open minded so if you know a sub with AES input who will work fine with the 705p, let me know.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Digital connections contain more than one channel. AFAIK both SPDIF and AES contain 2 channels ( and ADAT 8 channels). That's the reason why speakers with digital input usually have a switch where you select which channel it shall reproduce.

Last edited:
Top Bottom