• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL 705P Studio Monitor Review

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Continuos listening of music at average level of 85dB is not healthy. You would feel discomfort after a few hours at most.

I thought that was the level for OSHA or some other agency for 8 hours of exposure a day. I figure if I'm watching a film for an average of 2 hours, I should be pretty safe. If 80 dB is closer to reasonable, and everything I see has on average 20dB or less of dynamic range (average vs peaks difference), then anything that plays peaks at 100dB or more (almost all speakers mentioned here, and all speakers a step or two down from those,) should be plenty loud and plenty able to handle dynamics.

Maybe we're all "unhealthy" though and like listening louder than we think.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A pair of Genelec 8260's cost about $11,000 in the US and GLM is extra. A new set of stands will be needed due to their odd 22" height and substantial 60 lb weight. Just providing a reference point.

You are right. Was comparing used prices. The 8260 is discontinued and since several mentioned reliability issues with the JBL 7 series, I mentioned them as an alternative since even used, Genelec's seem very reliable and provides more bass extension if that is desired. I paid $5000 for mine, (a pair) and MSRP looks like $2,499.00 each for the JBL 708, or $1000 less street price.

I'm curious to see if Kali uses a compression driver and a larger waveguide at some point for something to compete with the 708. Apparently they are coming out with a higher end model that will have a large, edge to edge waveguide. Wish I had a dealer nearby to compare the 708 to the Kali IN-8, and it looks like they have the same SPL.

Jon AA

Forum Donor
If 80 dB is closer to reasonable, and everything I see has on average 20dB or less of dynamic range (average vs peaks difference), then anything that plays peaks at 100dB or more (almost all speakers mentioned here, and all speakers a step or two down from those,) should be plenty loud and plenty able to handle dynamics.
So do you disagree with Genelec's own recommendations for speakers related to room size?

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So do you disagree with Genelec's own recommendations for speakers related to room size?

Depends. are you referring to the multicolored bar that shows you the optimum distance for various speakers? If something is a meter away, the room size doesn't much matter when it comes to loudness. Almost everything can get to 100dB at that distance.

I could see someone needing louder if they were further away, but I suppose that is just semantics, because they would have to be in a larger room to be able to do that.

If you were talking about a speaker being too big for the room, that only applies if they play a 2hz note at 200dB because then I can't turn it down enough to be reasonable.

Otherwise, I'd rather have the option of deep bass with some nulls, and taming the peaks, than to not hear it at all.

Jon AA

Forum Donor
Depends. are you referring to the multicolored bar that shows you the optimum distance for various speakers?
Both are instructive, but I was particularly talking about the chart that shows max short term/long term SPL measured at various distances in a room size in which they'd expect the particular speaker to be used. I really wish more manufacturers would make a chart like that.

If something is a meter away, the room size doesn't much matter when it comes to loudness. Almost everything can get to 100dB at that distance.
Very true. My bad, I thought the conversation had morphed into a more broad discussion about dynamics/SPL capability in general. If all we're talking about is 1m nearfield listening, I agree it's a pretty unimportant in selecting a speaker.

QMuse

Major Contributor
I thought that was the level for OSHA or some other agency for 8 hours of exposure a day. I figure if I'm watching a film for an average of 2 hours, I should be pretty safe. If 80 dB is closer to reasonable, and everything I see has on average 20dB or less of dynamic range (average vs peaks difference), then anything that plays peaks at 100dB or more (almost all speakers mentioned here, and all speakers a step or two down from those,) should be plenty loud and plenty able to handle dynamics.

Maybe we're all "unhealthy" though and like listening louder than we think.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5308171/

"The National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders states, “Long or repeated exposure to sound at or above 85 decibels can cause hearing loss."

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The metal guitarist I know has better hearing than most people.

Leha62

Friends! Need a crossover / filter circuit for the 705i can someone share? thank!

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Friends! Need a crossover / filter circuit for the 705i can someone share? thank!

For BSS processors:
BSS London Architect (I would use this newest version, though the link dated 1/2020 on the JBL 705 page is to an older version)
+
705i BSS SingleWire London Architect Tunings or 705i BiWire BSS London Architect depending on if you want to use 1 amp or 2 per speaker

For Crown DCIn processor-amps:
HiQnet Audio Architect
+
7 Series and M2 Crown DCi Tuning

For JBL Intonato 24 processor:
Intonato 24 Control App (Mac)

Leha62

For BSS processors:
BSS London Architect (I would use this newest version, though the link dated 1/2020 on the JBL 705 page is to an older version)
+
705i BSS SingleWire London Architect Tunings or 705i BiWire BSS London Architect depending on if you want to use 1 amp or 2 per speaker

For Crown DCIn processor-amps:
HiQnet Audio Architect
+
7 Series and M2 Crown DCi Tuning

For JBL Intonato 24 processor:
Intonato 24 Control App (Mac)

You misunderstood me, I need a filter circuit to convert 705p to 705i and connect to an external amplifier

Attachments

• jbllsr708iparts (5).jpeg
    jbllsr708iparts (5).jpeg
    131.8 KB · Views: 238

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You misunderstood me, I need a filter circuit to convert 705p to 705i and connect to an external amplifier

I don’t know the internal filter schematic, but it looks like you have it. To use an external amplifier you’ll need a separate processor to load the rest of the crossover. Options are BSS and JBL Intonato.

Note that if you’re removing the amp from 705p you should reduce the cabinet volume accordingly to maintain JBL’s intended bass voicing.

Leha62

I don’t know the internal filter schematic, but it looks like you have it. To use an external amplifier you’ll need a separate processor to load the rest of the crossover. Options are BSS and JBL Intonato.

Note that if you’re removing the amp from 705p you should reduce the cabinet volume accordingly to maintain JBL’s intended bass voicing.
there is no circuit, this is the problem! I really like the sound of active monitors, but I wanted to listen to them with a passive crossover from a tube amplifier Audio Research

gr-e

there is no circuit, this is the problem! I really like the sound of active monitors, but I wanted to listen to them with a passive crossover from a tube amplifier Audio Research
705i still require DSP. The basic filter inside them is only there to allow single wire connection for compatibility reasons.

xyvyx

Forum Donor
I'll bet the effect of that passive/hardware filter + JBL's software filtering & EQ could be mimicked by a miniDSP unit. One of my 708p's just started randomly failing on me... a power-cycle seems to fix it now, but in the event I can't get it repaired, I'm thinking ahead about what options I have.
I'm already playing around w/ a hypex ncore & a purifi amplifier for use in my HT atmos setup... I can already tell they'd be superior to whatever is in the JBL in regards to noise-floor.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll bet the effect of that passive/hardware filter + JBL's software filtering & EQ could be mimicked by a miniDSP unit. One of my 708p's just started randomly failing on me... a power-cycle seems to fix it now, but in the event I can't get it repaired, I'm thinking ahead about what options I have.
I'm already playing around w/ a hypex ncore & a purifi amplifier for use in my HT atmos setup... I can already tell they'd be superior to whatever is in the JBL in regards to noise-floor.

JBL factory is closed and my 708P is sitting at the repair center for a month now. Might want to keep it if there is a workaround and wait till JBL can actually service it.

Snoochers

Does the 705 or 708 have any max SPL charts with frequencies? Or do we even have a sensitivity rating for the? I would be sitting 12' from them in a theatre so I'm not sure the 708s would be loud enough. Without the data I can't tell.

Top Bottom