• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL 705P Studio Monitor Review

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This article describes in detail Samsung's blind listening tests (using a shuffler). Their audio division is headed by Allan Devantier, who worked at Harman, JBL and Infinity prior to Samsung. The evidence that Samsung/Harman group speakers undergo blind listening tests is stronger than the evidence that they don't.
Jeez, I know the Harman group better than you think (am huge fan of their research) but I strongly doubt that every little problem of each of their over 500? currently offered loudspeakers is tested in controlled listening tests at their shuffler.

bobbooo

Major Contributor
Jeez, I know the Harman group better than you think (am huge fan of their research) but I strongly doubt that every little problem of each of their over 500? currently offered loudspeakers is tested in controlled listening tests at their shuffler.

It's conjecture either way, but at least there's some evidence suggesting they might, whereas there's no evidence they don't. Samsung is a huge company with massive resources, so it wouldn't be impossible. Any further conjecture is useless without more evidence though, so let's leave it there.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
After dealing contacting Harmanaudio.com about the defective one... I have 3 choices:
-return the defective one for refund
-return all 3 for refund
-get it repaired
They will pay all return shipping in whatever I choose which I appreciate.
In my listening over the past few days, I have been amazed at how good they are. Amazing how capable they are for their size.

Pio

Forum Donor
After dealing contacting Harmanaudio.com about the defective one... I have 3 choices:
-return the defective one for refund
-return all 3 for refund
-get it repaired
They will pay all return shipping in whatever I choose which I appreciate.
In my listening over the past few days, I have been amazed at how good they are. Amazing how capable they are for their size.
When they work, they're amazing. I got mine fixed / replaced.. but, that's me.. they truly are incredible!

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When they work, they're amazing. I got mine fixed / replaced.. but, that's me.. they truly are incredible!
How long have you had yours? Out of how many, how many needed repair?

Pio

Forum Donor
How long have you had yours? Out of how many, how many needed repair?
I got the 1st pair of 708s in August of 2017, sent a 708 back within the week, that replacement has been working fine.
Last year (2019) JBL replaced the other 2017 model, that one has been fine since.

the 705’s are around 6 months old, one is perfect, one was sent back the first week, replacement has worked perfectly.

Pio

Forum Donor
Amir - question on the DB level in which you tested the 705's, I noticed your results are centered at 93 db/spl while the Harman data looks to be 85 db/spl. Is it possible the +2 db deviation at 1.6khz might be the little guy trying to stay composed? Or... nah?

Screen Shot 2020-03-13 at 6.35.12 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-03-13 at 6.35.31 PM.png

12B4A

I've been real happy with the 5 units I bought once consumers were able to purchase. My memory is crap but I remember not seeing that narrow dip out in the room but only when I measured when the mic was 1m from the speaker. I never heard it at my listening position while incrementing through the test tone in that region.

BTW, it's nice to see all these Klippel measurements. It wasn't suprising to see Genelec's 8341A look butter smooth and for ~$3k a pop they should.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it possible the +2 db deviation at 1.6khz might be the little guy trying to stay composed? Or... nah?

No. Something’s wrong with one or both drive units, or (more likely, I think) DSP programming.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had the 708Ps In my living room and was going to go with 705s in our theater. As I mentioned earlier here, I received one defective 705 out of 3 on their B stock sale. It just got me thinking about longevity after warranty expires and decided to go back to passive (Revel).

Pio

Forum Donor
So sad that such a great monitor has so many bugs, especially coming from JBL Pro that prides itself with its “100 hour” durability tests, etc.
I own a total of 4 7 series monitors, 3 of which have had issues. They’re currently working great, and when they work, they truly sound phenomenal.. but c’mon JBL Pro, you need to do better in such a competitive segment.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So sad that such a great monitor has so many bugs, especially coming from JBL Pro that prides itself with its “100 hour” durability tests, etc.
I own a total of 4 7 series monitors, 3 of which have had issues. They’re currently working great, and when they work, they truly sound phenomenal.. but c’mon JBL Pro, you need to do better in such a competitive segment.
It is a shame. I purchased my 708p’s used and never had an issue with them using them or 6-8 months. 705p’s were refurbs. We’re your 705s refurbished/BSTOCK?

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had the 708Ps In my living room and was going to go with 705s in our theater. As I mentioned earlier here, I received one defective 705 out of 3 on their B stock sale. It just got me thinking about longevity after warranty expires and decided to go back to passive (Revel).

This seems like the biggest flaw of active speakers. Reading the D&D 8C thread, there seems to be many examples of software updates breaking the speaker.

Pio

Forum Donor
All 4 7 series have been purchased new, Dale Pro Audio & Sweetwater. The exchange / fix process has been painless, and again they’re now working great. But 3 of 4 .. crazy

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1 out of 3 broken here. One my JBL 708Ps died (bought used but they worked fine for a week) and was luckily under warranty - JBL shipped me a new one.

One rare occasions one of the 708Ps will make no sound and I have to power cycle it.

All these posts have me worried though :(. If they die at some point after warranty, I too might switch to passive Revels.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This seems like the biggest flaw of active speakers. Reading the D&D 8C thread, there seems to be many examples of software updates breaking the speaker.
I decided to keep speakers/amps seperate and doubt I will go back to actives. Love the form factor, simplicity, built in DSP (in many models) and they sound great. But I just worry that one could either have a speaker that isn’t repairable after warranty.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I decided to keep speakers/amps seperate and doubt I will go back to actives. Love the form factor, simplicity, built in DSP (in many models) and they sound great. But I just worry that one could either have a speaker that isn’t repairable after warranty.
I'm in the same camp, I'll keep my amps & speakers separate. I don't know what the problem is but seems all the active speakers & powered subs have a high failure rate. I'm keeping my fingers crossed on my 2 5yo HSU subwoofers don't let the smoke out any time soon. Having things separate also keeps the possibilities open to upgrade or modify the individual pieces as desired.

Top Bottom