• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL 705P Studio Monitor Review

RobL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Would a kef kc62 match up alright with these? Going in the livingroom and my wife doesn’t want any large boxes around. Is the svs 3000 micro comparable? It’s a little cheaper, though I can get a good deal on the kef.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You're right. sadly a lot of subwoofer are tuned in the audible range. That's why generally they are mudder. Like always the trap is in the word : generaly. I'm still looking for the perfect partner for my 705 :)
Describe your room and desired volume.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Would a kef kc62 match up alright with these? Going in the livingroom and my wife doesn’t want any large boxes around. Is the svs 3000 micro comparable? It’s a little cheaper, though I can get a good deal on the kef.
From what I've read, they're comparable. Neither seem sufficient to me. Maybe two or more?

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A square that's 12m per side or 12 square meters? :) I did a double take. I assume it's a small, rectangular room.
If I were in your shoes, I'd get a couple of these: http://www.rythmikaudio.com/F12.html
Then maybe I'd use them as speaker stands.
You could probably go with one then place it front and center and tune the system for your seating position. Not sure what your room modes will be like.
It doesn't have to be rythmik. A similar company will do.

Rahan

Thanks I check the review and it seems really good so far. I'll try to have a lisening session with one. that's not easy to find in France.

RobL

Ok so I got a 3000 micro to appease my wife’s hatred of large sub boxes on the floor (got it for $200 under msrp)
If I use the 705’s bass management at 80hz, is it a good idea to overlap a bit and low-pass the sub at say, 100hz? I have it set up this way at the moment and it sounds very good to my ears but I haven’t measured anything as yet. This little sub actually seems to have no problem keeping up to the 705’s with music at my listening levels...these speakers really shine with the low bass unloaded from them!

Last edited:

Everett T

Forum Donor
Ok so I got a 3000 micro to appease my wife’s hatred of large sub boxes on the floor (got it for $200 under msrp)
If I use the 705’s bass management at 80hz, is it a good idea to overlap a bit and low-pass the sub at say, 100hz? I have it set up this way at the moment and it sounds very good to my ears but I haven’t measured anything as yet. This little sub actually seems to have no problem keeping up to the 705’s with music at my listening levels...these speakers really shine with the low bass unloaded from them!
At least an 1/2 octave is a good place to start. Depending on ported or sealed mains usually dictates the the amount.

RobL

At least an 1/2 octave is a good place to start. Depending on ported or sealed mains usually dictates the the amount.

ok thanks, looks like I’m on the right track. I’ll try it around 120ish and see how it goes.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe I'm just bad at setting up crossovers, but I think that if you're not measuring, you have no idea what's going on. Adding a sub made the system sound better, but adding Dirac and letting it handle the crossing over was just 1000 times better.

I'd highpass 80 and lowpass 60 with the steepest slope you can get. I assume 24db on the SVS. Not sure how steep the JBL rolloff is.

Everett T

Forum Donor
Maybe I'm just bad at setting up crossovers, but I think that if you're not measuring, you have no idea what's going on. Adding a sub made the system sound better, but adding Dirac and letting it handle the crossing over was just 1000 times better.

I'd highpass 80 and lowpass 60 with the steepest slope you can get. I assume 24db on the SVS. Not sure how steep the JBL rolloff is.
A ported speaker is gonna roll off at 24db, which is why I suggested a half of an octave as a starting point. Also if setting the LPF is an option, I'd go at least 120hz, as the sub can play fairly flat above that and you're still not into vocal range (mostly).

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm going off of SVS recommendations and how they worked for me. And how much better Dirac worked for me.

RobL

Ok, I only have ARC to measure these...will that be sufficient?

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you think it could be a good idea to seald the speaker if used with a subwofer?
I guess that would get rid of any port sounds and reduce volume at many but likely not all frequencies. If you were to then clean up the resulting mess with measurements and EQ, it might be fine. Might cause other issues I don't know about.

RobL

Do you think it could be a good idea to seald the speaker if used with a subwofer?
If your thinking about the narrow notch in the FR, I wouldn’t worry about it. Looks nasty but it’s not audible at all that I can tell.
My sub adds some extension for sure but I think I could have been quite happy with these just 2.0

RobL

So I’ve be playing around with ARC on these via my PW link. It cleans up the bass nicely but I really don’t like what happens above that. With ARC engaged I notice an unpleasant edginess to female vocals and other sounds around that frequency. Not sure what it’s trying to do, but it’s not an improvement. Anyone know if there’s a way to limit ARC to bass frequencies?
If not, I think I prefer the sound as is without room correction.

tgray

Do these have an auto-off or audio sense function? Or do you have to leave them on all the time? What do people do with these (or the 708Ps)?

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do these have an auto-off or audio sense function? Or do you have to leave them on all the time? What do people do with these (or the 708Ps)?

Mine are on a smart switch. I hit a button on my phone, and all the stereo electronics come on. First the head unit. Then a few seconds later, the speakers and sub.

Top Bottom