• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL 705P / 708P

SPFC

Ordered a pair of 705p mainly to serve as the first instalment of my multichannel set up in the tv room but I will run them in my hifi setup ( hopefully) .
Congrats! When will you be receiving them? Make sure you share your experience, both with 2 and multi-channels.
How are you going to hook them up to your multi-channel system?

Old Listener

Good news, Thomas. I'll be interested in your experiences with them and I'm sure other people will too.

Who did you order them from? B&H still says "coming soon". Amazon has them in stock, they say.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Good news, Thomas. I'll be interested in your experiences with them and I'm sure other people will too.

Who did you order them from? B&H still says "coming soon". Amazon has them in stock, they say.
https://www.gak.co.uk/

They took my money and seem not to mention they are out of stock so hopefully I will be getting them next week some time.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Congrats! When will you be receiving them? Make sure you share your experience, both with 2 and multi-channels.
How are you going to hook them up to your multi-channel system?
I don't have a multi channel system currently, I plan to use them in stereo in the tv room for now and build a multi channel system as funds allow.

I'm going to set them up for a bit at my mums after Iv got my head round them, depending on various factors they might stay at hers.

I thought it would be good for the forum too but fear I'm lacking the skills to properly review them. It will all be subjective and just what I reckon :oops: still if anyone wants to rock up at savage towers and measure the living daylights out of them your more than welcome.

Old Listener

I don't have a multi channel system currently, I plan to use them in stereo in the tv room for now and build a multi channel system as funds allow.

I'm going to set them up for a bit at my mums after Iv got my head round them, depending on various factors they might stay at hers.

I thought it would be good for the forum too but fear I'm lacking the skills to properly review them. It will all be subjective and just what I reckon :oops: still if anyone wants to rock up at savage towers and measure the living daylights out of them your more than welcome.

I try to be a careful consumer and I don't like to return products. It gets harder to audition products in a store setting and most published reviews lack depth and measurements. I'm always happy to get more real-world information. I'll appreciate whatever you reckon.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Be interested in your thoughts.
I've got some pull at Guitar Center and some time down the road when they are readily available, I may attempt to borrow a pair .

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Just quickly poking a look again, sometimes things have you scratching your head due to preconceived notions.
The speakers weight kind of made me go hummm. It only is 9 lbs and that includes having an dac/amp built into it. My cheap passive HSU's in comparison are 12.2lb. Makes you wonder about the cabinets deadness-rigidity?

Old Listener

Just quickly poking a look again, sometimes things have you scratching your head due to preconceived notions.
The speakers weight kind of made me go hummm. It only is 9 lbs and that includes having an dac/amp built into it. My cheap passive HSU's in comparison are 12.2lb. Makes you wonder about the cabinets deadness-rigidity?

Well, it is quite small.

"Dimensions (HxWxD) 10.5 x 5.875 x 8.125 in (267 x 149 x 206 mm)"

Easier to construct an adequately rigid cabinet when it is small.

SPFC

This video is from early April and it says it will be shipping "this month" - I like how he never said which month that was.

Old Listener

I am often impatient with delayed shipment of a product that I'm interested in. However, I prefer that a company get things right before they ship their products.

I'll sit on the edge of my chair waiting impatiently for the 705P to ship and then for users like Thomas to tell me how it works for them. And I'll want to read some meaty reviews. Then I'll know whether it seems to be worth buying.

I'm grateful to fearless early adopters like Thomas.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Well it's not shipped... another 3 weeks apparently :rolleyes:

Amateur hour at JBL.

But yes im Fearless..., hopelessly ignorant possibly a more accurate description:D
Maybe it got out what a PITA you are to have for a customer? :eek:;)

12B4A

I preordered back in February. It seems like they tell different dates to different parts of their distribution network. Based on how they handled the 705/8i, I was firmly expecting them to not arrive in April. What's really strange is that the Harman Pro shop had them at May 24th last week and now they are May 12th. Prosumer sites have them pegged at various dates in June. So...see them in July.

It really is strange that the P versions have the same dimensions and weight is the I series. What's also a little eyebrow raising is the 705P's are smaller than the 305s.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I preordered back in February. It seems like they tell different dates to different parts of their distribution network. Based on how they handled the 705/8i, I was firmly expecting them to not arrive in April. What's really strange is that the Harman Pro shop had them at May 24th last week and now they are May 12th. Prosumer sites have them pegged at various dates in June. So...see them in July.

It really is strange that the P versions have the same dimensions and weight is the I series. What's also a little eyebrow raising is the 705P's are smaller than the 305s.
Welcome, I was talking to a guy in town who mostly sells PA gear and pro audio stuff and he was saying JBL are terrible to deal with. A completely backward company that seems to have little if any clue how to distribute and market their products.

12B4A

They certainly have a lot of runway to make improvements on how to manage expectations. It may even occur to them that doing so might earn them more business.

Top Bottom