• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL 705/708 Active vs Passive

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looking to upgrade our living room setup in either a 2.0 or 2.1 setup. Right now I’m leaning towards the JBL 7 series-either the 705 or the 708. I am torn between the simplicity of the active but concerned about the longevity/repairability of the powered version. Anyone else concerned about these with powered speakers?
I am leaning towards the passive version and going with something like:
Minidsp SHD or Studio
Hypex based amp such as the March Audio P122/P252
The DSP settings for the JBL 705i/708i are on the minidsp forum:
https://www.minidsp.com/forum/minidsp-for-newbies/12769-jbl-lsr708i-dsp?start=15
Thoughts?

BillG

Major Contributor
I am torn between the simplicity of the active but concerned about the longevity/repairability of the powered version. Anyone else concerned about these with powered speakers?

It's JBL, a long established company under the Harmon Kardon umbrella. They're not going away any time soon... :rolleyes:

milotrain

This is a necro post but I'll comment. The first run of the powered version of these monitors were fraught with problems (JBL replaced all the ones we ran into at the studio) and the subsequent runs didn't show this problem at all. The Crown DCI amps have models for the passive speakers but those amps have fans so it's really a question of how you want your setup to work. The powered monitors are quite a bit deeper than the passive ones.

Top Bottom