• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL 7 Series vs. Genelec The Ones

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks.

Are all Genelec The Ones self-powered or can you get them with the amplifier being external to the speaker?
For a multichannel system such as an atmos theater, a better option would be the passive version of the JBL… 705i/708i. Just run speaker wire, dsp/amp in your rack/other room.

Tom C

Major Contributor
So, running a PowerBridge is a safe DIY solution that the manufacturer says meets building code requirements in the USA. You can route the other cables along with the power line, too.

OP
K

Kain

For a multichannel system such as an atmos theater, a better option would be the passive version of the JBL… 705i/708i. Just run speaker wire, dsp/amp in your rack/other room.
Thanks.

What if I don't have the ability to place the amps in another room? Will placing them in-room in a heavy-duty soundproof server rack be enough to suppress the fan noise?

Trell

Major Contributor
Thanks.

What if I don't have the ability to place the amps in another room? Will placing them in-room in a heavy-duty soundproof server rack be enough to suppress the fan noise?
As long as the amps are cool enough in there.

OP
K

Kain

As long as the amps are cool enough in there.
This is just an example but could something like this work for the amps to keep them cool while suppressing the fan noise? These are very expensive but note the heat dissipation and noise reduction specs.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks.

There are basically 3 ways to EQ the speakers..
1-Crown amps such as DCI 300n 600n etc. These cannot be placed in room IMO as the fans are very loud
2-London BSS processor. These can be used and then you can use your own amps. There are several models (not familiar with all of them) such as BSS BLU-160 etc with the appropriate cards installed
3-Your Emotiva XMC-2 is capable of manual EQ. The EQ can be applied within a processor that offers manual EQ. There EQ settings can be found here at ASR and at AVSForum as well. This may not be a completely proper way to do it, but many seem to have and many seem to like the result just fine (YMMV)

OP
K

Kain

There are basically 3 ways to EQ the speakers..
1-Crown amps such as DCI 300n 600n etc. These cannot be placed in room IMO as the fans are very loud
2-London BSS processor. These can be used and then you can use your own amps. There are several models (not familiar with all of them) such as BSS BLU-160 etc with the appropriate cards installed
3-Your Emotiva XMC-2 is capable of manual EQ. The EQ can be applied within a processor that offers manual EQ. There EQ settings can be found here at ASR and at AVSForum as well. This may not be a completely proper way to do it, but many seem to have and many seem to like the result just fine (YMMV)
If I go with the BSS processor + my own amps route over the Crown amps that are usually recommended with these speakers, will the audio performance be any worse in any way considering they were designed to be used with the Crown amps?

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If I go with the BSS processor + my own amps route over the Crown amps that are usually recommended with these speakers, will the audio performance be any worse in any way considering they were designed to be used with the Crown amps?
BSS Processor … you download the speaker preset (you select single wire or bi-wire) for that channel and EQ is applied. What is interesting is the EQ of the amps and BSS processors appear to be a little different from what I recall. But I would say the BSS will be at least as good, you can pair it with a silent amp of your choice.
*both are officially supported solution by JBL/HARMAN

OP
K

Kain

BSS Processor … you download the speaker preset (you select single wire or bi-wire) for that channel and EQ is applied. What is interesting is the EQ of the amps and BSS processors appear to be a little different from what I recall. But I would say the BSS will be at least as good, you can pair it with a silent amp of your choice.
*both are officially supported solution by JBL/HARMAN
Thanks.

Are there any fanless or very quiet subwoofer amps that have at least 1200 watts or more per channel that you could use with the JBL SSW-2 subwoofer?

Last edited:

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks.

Are there any fanless or very quiet subwoofer amps that have at least 1200 watts or more per channel that you could use with the JBL SSW-2 subwoofer?

I’m sure there are options, but I wouldn’t know all of them. I believe you can bridge 2 Hypex NC502 channels and get to 1200w. For example you could do a 4 channel NC502 for. L/R and a pair of NC502 channels bridged for the sub.

AwesomeSauce2015

Theoretically, if you used good amps like the Hypex amps, you could surpass the crown performance.
However, you could also do worse if you don't get appropriately sized amps. I would recommend looking at what crown amps are recommended, and at least try to match the power output rating.

Alternatively, while I'm not familiar with whether this is possible, the JBL AVRs may have EQ for the 705/708 built in. If they support it, you could use one of them instead of your current processor.

With regards to subwoofer amps, if you want big power, then you're going to need a fan. I'd recommend getting one of the crown amps for that, and if noise is a big issue then maybe replace the fans with quieter (Noctua makes some good ones) fans, if you are comfortable taking it apart.
Alternatively, Hypex makes high power amps, and others also do, just ensure you have good ventilation.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

7-series install were designed to be used with the Crown amps OR a BSS processor OR a JBL Intonato. Well I guess technically Intonato came later, so one could say it was designed to be used with the 7-series/M2 rather than the other way ‘round.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Alternatively, while I'm not familiar with whether this is possible, the JBL AVRs may have EQ for the 705/708 built in. If they support it, you could use one of them instead of your current processor.
JBL AVR/Processors do not include the EQ necessary (SDP-55 etc). The only exception is the JBL SDP-75 which is a tweaked version of a Trinnov Altitude.

OP
K

Kain

Is it "safe" to replace the fans in Crown or other pro amps with quieter ones? I thought the stock fans that come with these amps are configured to work on a certain "fan speed curve" or something.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it "safe" to replace the fans in Crown or other pro amps with quieter ones? I thought the stock fans that come with these amps are configured to work on a certain "fan speed curve" or something.
A member has tried. Didn't report anything bad. So I'd assume it worked. Please see this thread:

AwesomeSauce2015

JBL AVR/Processors do not include the EQ necessary (SDP-55 etc). The only exception is the JBL SDP-75 which is a tweaked version of a Trinnov Altitude.
Interesting. You'd think JBL would include them in the non-trinnov rebranded one, to add significant value to them... But I guess not.
If you care about your warranty, no, and if you have no electronics experience, also no. But realistically, a high-quality aftermarket fan will probably be better than whatever stock fan they have, so if you know what you are doing, it should be safe.
Fan curves are (usually) defined as temperature vs fan speed / PWM (or DC) duty cycle. If a replacement fan is more or less effective than the stock one at a given point, the fan curve will compensate by adjusting the fan speed.

Top Bottom