• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL 4367 Review (was M2 'review')

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Ass licker.
Is that a copy of the good book under the Spec thing?
I am surprised Tony hasn't sold you a pair!
Keith
tim must be on the same fruit based diet as michael :D
tony tried!!

even he admits that in my case it should not do anything but was keen for me to 'try' them. its some kind of impedance matcher?? my amps are' ultra low impedance' WETF that means.. :oops:

mind you looking at the pics that box is the best engineered bit of hi fi fantasy on show..

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
A lot of closet audiophiles around here. Except Tim of course. If he won a $25000 system of the highest caliber, hooked it up in his listening room, and noticed any improvement what so ever over what he currently owns, he would force his self to subconsciously block it from being real without being shown hard data. Kind of like if a UFO filled with little green aliens came down from the sky and invaded a church claiming they created everyone. The fact that a UFO filled with little green aliens came down from the sky definitely wouldn't be enough proof.
i like Tim, he has not been wrong since 1974 (gotta be worth printing on a T-shirt!)... thats his subjective opinion anyhow:D

... guess he just buys the mag now and then:D

fas42

Major Contributor
So how do the manufacturers who make 'more resolving'loudpeakers add that distortion?
Keith
It's always systems, not speakers by themselves, that have that problem - an easy way would be to have the speaker have some nasty input impedance qualities, and then drive them by an amplifier not adequate for the job - a lovely "harmonic spray" would then be automatically injected into the acoustics.

A counter to that was the best audio system I've come across in raw form: top of line Bryston monoblocks driving very standard Dynaudio speakers, near the top of their range. Absolutely effortless dynamics, drum kit sounds which were the real deal, yet could do a Graceland album vocal track with a sweetness to die for - this is called, "competence" ...

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
But the Bryston /PMC wasnt particularly resolving, so how do they lose resolution?
Keith

TBone

Major Contributor
"No harmonic spray.. come on keith, keep up!!!!! your letting the side down (uk massive)"

Well, you can always hang your hat on Linn's tunedem methodology ...

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
He didn't set the speakers up right. But how much can one expect from a reviewer?

I'm glad he like them, because they probably eat most audiophile speakers for breakfast, but I can't say I have a ton of faith in any reviewer who summarizes with such nonsense:

"Summary

The way many top class loudspeakers shape sound might be compared to milling a particular shape from a large block of, say, aluminum. JBL, Harbeth, but also Audiomachina achieve similar final results but using different means – the sound is rather extruded than milled. While milling, layer after layer is taken off while getting the final shape. Extruding means filling in the space that represents instruments. This process delivers more natural sound that one could really feel and not just hear. But at the same time it means that sound is not as resolving."

I can dig a metaphor as much as the next guy, but in that last sentence, he seems to almost take himself seriously, and even points to a result of this "process." Like, as a result of having a herd of unicorns in my back yard, my grass is fertilized with rainbow poop? "More natural sound/less resolving?" And JBL 2-way horns are like Harbeths? How's that work?

These guys just make this stuff up, huh?

Tim

fas42

Major Contributor
Like Bob, I'm lost as to what those bits behind the speakers are - someone care to enlighten us?

fas42

Major Contributor

fas42

Major Contributor

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
Some nice graphs would have been far more eloquent, but that is not what the market demands.
Keith

http://jblsynthesis.com/tl_files/catalog//jblsynthesis/4367/JBL Synthesis 4367 White Paper.pdf

http://positive-feedback.com/high-fidelity/jbl-4367-studio-monitor/

________

I think the market demands a mix of both; objective, and subjective reviews. ...With graphs, and pretty pictures too.
But the sauce of the pudding is in our rooms, from our ears, and with the music we love and are attuned with.

In the first review from above; graphs (measurements) you have.
In the second review (same original one as yours), we have few more pics including the crossover. ...I'm sure Mike (Blizz) can comment.

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
I partly blame JBL for not offering proper stands for these speakers. They are designed to be setup about 6" off the floor +\- 1".

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Resolving systems are resolving because they add distortion, but the Bryston system didn't have the distortion, so weren't resolving?
Keith

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Resolving systems are resolving because they add distortion, but the Bryston system didn't have the distortion, so weren't resolving?
Keith
who would of thought it... i can hear jimmy page scratching his nuts during a John Henry Bonham solo but its distortion! WOW those amp guys are clever!

fas42

Major Contributor
Keith
They resolved what was on the recording, but didn't overly emphasise - there wasn't a "system sound". By contrast, at the same show they had the full TAD effort going, using their amps, etc - and with reps from the actual company running the demo - this was your full bore relentless sound, highly refined PA, in your face stuff. It grabbed you around the throat and demanded to be listened to, get out if you can't handle this ... wimp !!!

Top Bottom