• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL 4367 Review (was M2 'review')

TBone

Major Contributor
hey i just dress up at the weekends..

i hear ya brother ...
henry-blake.jpg

fas42

Major Contributor
i think it is... but i differ to Frank,
the Audio Conjuring wizard.
certainly big on fantasy
The point being, is that I have the original CD releases of the early albums - which have huge sound engineered into them. An incompetent system will make a total mess of these - I've heard the damage done on a number of occasions, they shrivel up into horribleness if the rig can't unravel the sound - so anything less than that standard of the originals is a shocker ...

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
The point being, is that I have the original CD releases of the early albums - which have huge sound engineered into them. An incompetent system will make a total mess of these - I've heard the damage done on a number of occasions, they shrivel up into horribleness if the rig can't unravel the sound - so anything less than that standard of the originals is a shocker ...
ok, the year of release?(1984 i think) so i can track one down. i have the cica 1994 remastered versions.

Last edited:

fas42

Major Contributor
Wouldn't you know it ... Led Zep I has run away and hid itself for the moment - anyway, this was purchased mid 80's, and I note on another forum the post:

"The remasters are junk. Get the Barry Diament mastered originals. They sound much better."

Our Barry seems to be the man to look for ...

TBone

Major Contributor
Thomas, if so inclined, keep an eye out for early Barry Diament 80's originals CDs, I,II,III,IV and Houses, if memory serves. From a DR point of view, their the best measured digital versions going. That alone wets my whistle ...

edit, these CD were prone to cd rot, and many flacked, easily damaged, so be careful ...

fas42

Major Contributor
There you go ... you've got the magic information, twice now ;) ...

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Thomas, if so inclined, keep an eye out for early Barry Diament 80's originals CDs, I,II,III,IV and Houses, if memory serves. From a DR point of view, their the best measured digital versions going. That alone wets my whistle ...

edit, these CD were prone to cd rot, and many flacked, easily damaged, so be careful ...
i found a jap release of I that's 1986... that will be the Barry Diament original. i will buy it and wack on 'Good times bad time' (my favorite LZ track) and compare with my 94 remasters.. i have a 2014 remaster of I too...

thanks for the info:)

TBone

Major Contributor
thomas, not certain if the early Japanees are BD releases. Do you have the sku#?

AJ Soundfield

Major Contributor
The measurements? Not bad @ all, but then the Magicos and Genelecs and ATCs measure nice as well.
No.:)
My Dr. and I look at an MRI, we see 2 different things. Seeing measurements and understanding what they mean are 2 different things.

And measurements there are so many of them, and all the rooms measure differently, and the preamplifiers and amplifiers as well (some are better matching partners than others, and that too will affect those measurements
No.:)
Unless pathological, the system prior to the terminals should play no role in what one hears, which are soundwaves, transduced by the speakers. Now yes, different rooms will affect that perception, but when the speakers are designed like Harman does, above around 400-500hz or so, binaural hearing systems tend to hear through the room, again, unless pathological. There should be a great deal of consistency in sound >500hz, room to room. Unfortunately, below 500hz, this is not the case. So indeed, as you say there will be differences that are far less predictable.
However, a tightly controlled directivity speaker like this has an excellent chance of sounding good in most rooms.

cheers,

AJ

fas42

Major Contributor
i found a jap release of I that's 1986... that will be the Barry Diament original. i will buy it and wack on 'Good times bad time' (my favorite LZ track) and compare with my 94 remasters.. i have a 2014 remaster of I too...

thanks for the info:)
Good choice ... when I first heard this being done 'right' on my system it blew me away - an absolutely amazing experience ... better than any sex, by golly ;) ...

fas42

Major Contributor

TBone

Major Contributor
no your right it was sterling sound new york... canceled that then :confused:

thanks!:)

no problem ... those early jap4japan versions are the most "funky" cds I've ever had to comprehend, .... harder to rip too ... some of the most wonderful and yet weirdest versions/pressings I've ever heard, esp their PF catalog, a wonder to hear even with R&R tape fluttering evident. The jap4us cds are much more consistent with the later North American releases ...

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Top Bottom