• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL 4367 Review (was M2 'review')

fas42

Major Contributor
who would of thought it... i can hear jimmy page scratching his nuts during a John Henry Bonham solo but its distortion! WOW those amp guys are clever!
IOW, Bonham's solo is not grabbing you around the nuts, therefore in your boredom you have time to notice those lesser nut pickings ...

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
IOW, Bonham's solo is not grabbing you around the nuts, therefore in your boredom you have time to notice those lesser nut pickings ...
that not true, Page mastered it in, in the remasters out of jealousy.. so i am listening on another level and hearing the bands interpersonal dynamics as well as the drum solo..

i can only imagine how good all this would be on the JBL.

fas42

Major Contributor
fine, you can leave you hat on ...
That, is an unbeliiieeevable track ... rendered properly, you should be wet in all the right places by the end of it - if someone was cocky about their system, I would put that on at 11 ... and see what transpired ...

TBone

Major Contributor
that not true, Page mastered it in, in the remasters out of jealousy.. so i am listening on another level and hearing the bands interpersonal dynamics as well as the drum solo..

if you can hear all that past the severe dynamic clipping w/many typical Page remasters, you indeed have magic ears.

fas42

Major Contributor

i can only imagine how good all this would be on the JBL.
The remasters are terrible, I have a friend who has them - flat as a tack sound, no guts to it, these would go in the dumpster ...

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
That, is an unbeliiieeevable track ... rendered properly, you should be wet in all the right places by the end of it - if someone was cocky about their system, I would put that on at 11 ... and see what transpired ...
sounds amazing on my laptop:)

great horns, you are right though its all punctuation with a rock steady rhythm. many systems would mess that up.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
The remasters are terrible, I have a friend who has them - flat as a tack sound, no guts to it, these would go in the dumpster ...
yes i am not a fan, i dont mind the remasters on the best of album (crop circle on the front?)
Led_Zeppelin_-_Remasters.jpg

anyone know the origins of the name?

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
I partly blame JBL for not offering proper stands for these speakers. They are designed to be setup about 6" off the floor +\- 1".

The reviewer has some brass feet reposing on brass cups and roughly two inches from the floor.

JBL_4367-15.jpg

And the two parts crossover:

JBL_4367-17.jpg
JBL_4367-16.jpg

_________

My impression (just from the pics and words and measurements):
One, they remind me of my second pair of speakers back in the 70s; Akai speakers, but much smaller, with a 10" woofer, a 3-4" midrange, a tweeter with a metal heatsink on front, but with open vents and aiming towards the floor. Plus a single vent on front. I was using 10 inches platforms to position them on, with a slight elevation angle (taller on front and shorter on back, to get the sound directly to my ears).
Again, just my personal "look" impression: They are not the attractive speaker design like say from some Sonus Faber models. But neither the Magicos and Vivid and KEF speakers...not my type of decorative art design. I do like the B&W speakers from their higher models though.

The reviews? It's always fun to read professional reviews from professional audio reviewers; it is one of my joys in life. :)

The sound? I've never heard them, but Michael (you) did. :)

The measurements? Not bad @ all, but then the Magicos and Genelecs and ATCs measure nice as well. And measurements there are so many of them, and all the rooms measure differently, and the preamplifiers and amplifiers as well (some are better matching partners than others, and that too will affect those measurements, including the waveforms, impulse response, impedance, phase response, coherence, distortion, power response, dumping factor, ...).

I know some people who pick expensive speakers firstly based on good looks ($10,000 to $100,000+). This JBL speaker model I would use it behind a cinema screen (invisible), and supplemented by multiple subwoofers that can reproduce low frequencies @ and below 35Hz with aplomb/full verve, and down to 5-10Hz.

For fifteen grands I want full range (down to 20Hz...minus 1.5dB).

Anyway, I shared my impression from the so little I know. I like some Revel model speakers.
Also, some Paradigm model speakers are pretty good for only three grands (half on the used market). ...Some Energy model speakers too.

Methinks that you can get good enough below $5,000/pair.
And for $50,000 I want Rockport Technologies, or top Magicos, or top Sonus Fabers, or top of the ultimate top for my penthouse in Dubai's highest skyscraper.

The JBL M2 is not even what this thread is about; the thread's title should be corrected, for sake of science accuracy, Keith. :)

Last edited:

fas42

Major Contributor
yes i am not a fan, i dont mind the remasters on the best of album (crop circle on the front?)
View attachment 707

anyone know the origins of the name?
Unfortunately, that's exactly what I was listening to at the friend's - what ... have ... they ... done ... Jeeez !!!

AJ Soundfield

Major Contributor
Any good? Everything takes ages longer to appear here than there and always more expensive to boot!
Keith.
Very good. But it is still a box. It obeys the laws of physics that governs speakers and rooms, like everything else.
If one is used to wider dispersion boxes (95% of audiophile speakers), you might get some similar comments like in this thread. But not for the hysterically funny reasons given.:)

cheers,

AJ

TBone

Major Contributor

I was under the impression -that- was one of the better remasters, apparently ..

TBone

Major Contributor
well i won't be wearing any.. only stockings and suspenders. they tend to create static so will keep them away from your hi fi.

I have no worries, national security will perform all the necessary defrags ...

Top Bottom