• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL 4367 Review (was M2 'review')

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi
Repeating what I wrote some time ago here: JBL needs to put its house in order. It is one thing to not have a good marketing , it is a completely different thing to confuse the prospective customers to such an extent!!! STOOOOOPID is the term that comes to mind.:D

This out of the way.. The THD figures from the review linked above seems to me spectacular. Any High End speakers that boast such low figures? And such a virtual absence of power compression? Do we have some measurements. I will try to audition these, the safest bet seems to be @Dallas in Austin :)... Soon and will report

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
The THD figures from the review linked above seems to me spectacular.

Any High End speakers that boast such low figures?

Mine?

Oh wait, they aren't high-end...

The 4367 trace was at 96db, probably a single speaker and nearfield measurement, in a nice test chamber, and so on. It seems to be showing traces for 2nd and 3rd harmonics.

I overlaid my 92dB quick-sweep measurement from October 2 of last year, in-room at the listening position, same scale size, slid up by 4db, both speakers playing, red is 2nd and orange 3rd harmonic:

upload_2017-5-10_1-26-16.png

It looks like mine have lower distortion for much of the range, and I have some funky room phase anomaly down low, so, in this trace, I lose on the woofage..

Ok, the JBL can go louder, but I can achieve loud enough here, so...

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Mine?

Oh wait, they aren't high-end...

The 4367 trace was at 96db, probably a single speaker and nearfield measurement, in a nice test chamber, and so on. It seems to be showing traces for 2nd and 3rd harmonics.

I overlaid my 92dB quick-sweep measurement from October 2 of last year, in-room at the listening position, same scale size, slid up by 4db, both speakers playing, red is 2nd and orange 3rd harmonic:

View attachment 6809

It looks like mine have lower distortion for much of the range, and I have some funky room phase anomaly down low, so, in this trace, I lose on the woofage..

Ok, the JBL can go louder, but I can achieve loud enough here, so...

Too bad your measurements are not of a high end speaker. If they were, then it might be something really special. ;)

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
And such a virtual absence of power compression?

Well, the JBL was tested at 80,90, 100 and 110dB, with the display normalized to 90dB.

I took measurements at 2dB intervals up to 92dB (back in October)

Here is a 30dB range normalized to 92dB - add 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20, 22, 24, 26, 28,and 30dB to the lower SPL traces.

upload_2017-5-10_1-52-22.png

I don't see any significant compression (+/- .1dB or so) within this range. I needed to use ear protection, so it was already too loud, I didn't go louder partly because I ran out of "room" to add measurements in REW. It had a max of 30 at the time. Maybe I should take some new traces.

I'll concede to the JBL for ultimate loudness.

PS: In the past I tried a "calibrated" playback of some drums for a few seconds and saw 116.9dB peak on the REW Peak Meter at the couch. It was like scary loud here in my smallish room... Baseball bat banging on the speakers loud... Drum kit in front of me loud. Sounded right, though. I quit so soon because I didn't want to tempt fate with my antique equipment. Listening with 105~110dB peaks occurs on Beer Saturdays, though, which is enough. That extra 6dB is like two more doublings of Watts, though... A Man's Got to Know his Limitations. Now, get off my lawn.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
The amazing paradox of electrostats for me is that, despite the generally 10x lower distortion stats, the lack of somatic impact always makes it feel less lifelike to me.

I finally got to hear a pair of 4367's and the room pressurization "whack" was impressive.

I just wish they made an active version with class D amps and DSP crossover.

I guess the 708P would be the next best thing?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I just wish they made an active version with class D amps and DSP crossover.

You're rich enough, and know what to do.

Mod a pair.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
You're rich enough, and know what to do.

Mod a pair.

But not enough free time...

Plus, I've built my own loudspeakers before and it drove me nuts, made me neurotic. I could never just listen to the music, instead finding myself always re-evaluating the design and tweaking it. It was horrible.

Top Bottom