• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL 4367: Inside Photos/Video

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The internal wire only has one pair connection to the compression driver. It looks like the second compression driver jumps off from the other compression driver. IOW, it doesn’t appear that each compression driver is connected to the crossover board. Maybe I’m missing something. Please tell me if I am.
The picture clearly shows four wires connected to it. And internally the D2 has two independent windings, one behind and one after:

d2_callout7615FEB7B7DE.png

One is pushing and the other pulling. So I don't think you can ignore one set of windings. You would need to invert the signal and feed it to the other.

Can you trace the two sets of wires and tell us where they go? The video stops right when it shows this.

OP
dallasjustice

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
Why not just buy a pair or M2 cabs and play with them?

Cheaper than what you have (maybe).

https://westlakepro.com/product/jbl-m2/

And you can sell your stands...
I thought about it. A new pair would be $12,000. There’s a dealer who died in east texas. His estate is selling a pair. I could prolly get it for $7,000.

I’m confident I will setup a great active 4367 without damaging the speakers. I think the M2 and the 4367 are pretty close in performance. If I bought the M2, then I’d have to sell the 4367 pair. That wouldn’t be fun boxing them up and shipping them by freight. Then I’d have a pair of M2s that would be worthless as far as resell value without the SDEC or crown amps.

As an experienced audiophile, the first thing I think about before I buy something new is the potential resale. :)
OTOH, I could easily sell the 4367 on its own.

Wombat

Master Contributor
OP
dallasjustice

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
@amirm
I think the crossover board is confusing because there’s two sets of wires plugged into the board on either side of the positive and negative output leads to the compression driver. Those two sets of wires go to the EQ selector switchs mounted on the bottom face of the waveguide.

I’m pretty certain there’s only one pair of wires to plug into the D2 compression driver.

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
If there are two wires, then you should be alright.

A photo of the HF board, a pair of wires (marked yellow and black) for the horn driver.

upload_2018-1-28_22-53-39.png

The different sized spades are evident.

upload_2018-1-28_22-56-38.png

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
The internal wire only has one pair connection to the compression driver. It looks like the second compression driver jumps off from the other compression driver. IOW, it doesn’t appear that each compression driver is connected to the crossover board. Maybe I’m missing something. Please tell me if I am.
One connection, very simple as you told armiro Oy... two diaphragms one driver. Anything that humans would think is crossover between the two sections is handled by God inside the driver.

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
The picture clearly shows four wires connected to it. And internally the D2 has two independent windings, one behind and one after:

d2_callout7615FEB7B7DE.png

One is pushing and the other pulling. So I don't think you can ignore one set of windings. You would need to invert the signal and feed it to the other.
Wrong answer!

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
@amirm
I think the crossover board is confusing because there’s two sets of wires plugged into the board on either side of the positive and negative output leads to the compression driver. Those two sets of wires go to the EQ selector switchs mounted on the bottom face of the waveguide.

I’m pretty certain there’s only one pair of wires to plug into the D2 compression driver.
Stop playing with your schmekel ignore eq wires, they control crossover and make adjustments. You will be doing your own. If you want, try contacting JBL and get exact eq settings and compression driver padding info if you would like a baseline. Get male quick connects, your are bi-amping not tri-amping. Nu?

Last edited:

Wombat

Master Contributor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
OP
dallasjustice

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
Buchick, just disconnect wires from crossover and connect there. Leave drive connections as is.

Today's lesson.
i wish it were that easy. It looks like those wires are soldered onto the board. So I’ll have to reach around inside the horn cabinet and disconnect the passive crossover at the D2 driver terminals. I will then have to connect with what looks like 6.3mm female slide on connectors crimped onto speaker cables connected to my amp.

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
i wish it were that easy. It looks like those wires are soldered onto the board. So I’ll have to reach around inside the horn cabinet and disconnect the passive crossover at the D2 driver terminals. I will then have to connect with what looks like 6.3mm female slide on connectors crimped onto speaker cables connected to my amp.
Un-solder them from the board. Better and hopefully easier than messing with/ up the drivers.

OP
dallasjustice

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
Un-solder them from the board. Better and hopefully easier than messing with/ up the drivers.
I don't think it would be better. If i did that, i'd have to connect the crappy internal wire to my nice canare 4s11 speaker cable. I'd rather have that nice canare cable connect directly to the D2 driver.

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
I don't think it would be better. If i did that, i'd have to connect the crappy internal wire to my nice canare 4s11 speaker cable. I'd rather have that nice canare cable connect directly to the D2 driver.
Crappy wire? Though those things don't matter? That speaker with the "crappy" wire and tin push-on connectors is touted as being one of the best sounding systems out there. Send the 3ft of crappy wire to the supreme "ruler" and see if he can measure a difference.

OP
dallasjustice

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
The JBL M2 uses the same D2 driver and a very similar midwoofer. I hadn't realized this but the M2 requires a "passive network" before the D2 driver. According to appendix 3 in this paper, the passive network is a 9db pad.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bzJyui75ZG_-wjV95dqKSbFs1Xh87bk2qlc-qS7Kk_Y/edit? 1 down vote accepted &rm=minimal#

On page 2 is the technical manual for the M2 has the passive network's schematic:
http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/M2_Studio_Monitor/M2_tech_manual.pdf

Is this passive network simply an attenuator?

Last edited:
Top Bottom