• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL 4349 Review (Studio Monitor Speaker)

C. Cook

That's what I'm using, JBL does a poor job of steering owners toward the correct stand. The owner's manual mentions the JS-120 because it was written before the JS-150 was released.

The 4349 is considerably bigger than the L100, I'm wondering how many people purchased the JS-120 because of JBL's mistake.
I was lucky enough to buy the even stouter Deer Creek welded metal stands before they stopped making or selling them.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Equalization?
Not sure what you mean but since these errors are affected by reflections, you are dependent on dispersion pattern. Most important is to make sure that the energy between 1-2 kHz is a bit higher than at 3-4 kHz for off-axis dispersion. Many speakers have dips 1-2 kHz vs 3-4 due to woofer-tweeter mismatch at the x-over.

changer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Equalization?
Yes, this speaker is highly EQ-able. It's tweeter's dispersion is also not too different from the Genelec S360. The JBL is just a bit hotter around 8k, but we predominantely perceive the direct sound and a PEQ fc 8000, Q=3 - 2 dB should fix this. And filling in the crossover gap should be as easy.

C. Cook

Yes, this speaker is highly EQ-able. It's tweeter's dispersion is also not too different from the Genelec S360. The JBL is just a bit hotter around 8k, but we predominantely perceive the direct sound and a PEQ fc 8000, Q=3 - 2 dB should fix this. And filling in the crossover gap should be as easy.
Interesting about the 8khz. I hadn't noticed but I'll try your EQ "fix" and see if it makes any difference. Do you set the 'trim' controls on the front baffle to anything other than 0?

changer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You would probably want to set both HF as well as the UHF trims to -1, as a baseline. But if your source has the ability of proper EQ, don't hesitate to go further than what the hardware controls offer.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Some more measurements, exemplary one of them:

d2FjPTcwNXgxLjg5OQ==_src_76287-studio-monitor-4349-lab1.jpg

djw.cloud

Kinda what I was driving at. My Revel Performas are very neutral speakers, but in room response is usually a mess for most people, so a 3-5db “trough” doesn’t really mean much in the grand scheme when almost everyone is going to be using room correction.

My pre room correction FR is a disaster despite my neutral speakers and electronics.
Fellow Twin Peaks Fan : )

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
4349 measurements link isn't working for me.
That is weird, the link works for me. Maybe you want to try also the general link without the "sublink" to the measurement section?

C. Cook

That is weird, the link works for me. Maybe you want to try also the general link without the "sublink" to the measurement section?
Yeah it is weird. I getthe same error no matter which of the links I try.1713397367161.png

Top Bottom