• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL 4329p 8”active Studio Monitor series

AM88

PEQ would be nice so fingers crossed.

on another note, power to the HF driver is significantly lower compared to the 708P (250watts for the 708P and 50watts for the 4329).
It is perhaps cheaper for Jbl to buy an off the shelf stereo power amp module for the drivers and modify the output via dsp or some other way rather than buying custom stereo amp modules with different power for the each channel or separate mono power amp modules. This is assuming that 250 watts is the rated power of the amp and not how much that actually goes to the driver.

samysound

It is perhaps cheaper for Jbl to buy an off the shelf stereo power amp module for the drivers and modify the output via dsp or some other way rather than buying custom stereo amp modules with different power for the each channel or separate mono power amp modules. This is assuming that 250 watts is the rated power of the amp and not how much that actually goes to the driver.
Looks like they use this for the 4305p. I would guess something similar for the new 4329p

stumat

View attachment 254905Active 8” Studio Monitores Series all in one
Is out

The 4305p is a very small and impressive
The 4329p has a bigger enclosure with the same HF driver in the 708
I wonder how these will compare with my Century Classics! They're about the same price but we seem to get a lot more here.

samysound

I know this is done for Revel speakers but don't know if it is true of JBL. They are different groups.
Are the JBL and Revel design teams co-located? Its a bummer that JBL has a a great waveguide design but would not take advantage of the same test capabilities/expertise to work out the kinks in there speaker products. Any any case i am looking forward to trying the 4329P out in my room.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
I wonder how these will compare with my Century Classics! They're about the same price but we seem to get a lot more here.
Just guessing but I suspect the L100's can handle higher SPL, though in most cases this won't matter as I suspect the 4329p can go fairly loud. The L100 though is famous for truly handling over 110db levels, though again do you do this?

Obviously L100's can be had for much less than retail now ( I have heard of 1/2 price discounts for the savy) and the 4329p likely will be less discounted if at all at 1st.

The 4329p seems like it will be harder to PEQ and simultaneous take advantage of built in streaming, so that is a bummer.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I know this is done for Revel speakers but don't know if it is true of JBL. They are different groups.
JBL Pro and JBL Consumer are different groups too, but JBL Pro does use the same blind testing as long as it fits in the room:

Source: Sean Olive
https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/...an-testing-lab/?do=findComment&comment=188227

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/...an-testing-lab/?do=findComment&comment=188654
“LSR monitors are tested against other pro monitor competitors including Genelec. We have tested them against consumer speakers from time to time. Our best consumer models do well against LSR: why wouldn't they since we aim for the same performance targets in consumer/pro monitors, and both are designed and tested in the same facility.”

EDIT: These are from 2012, so I don’t know if this is still true today.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pio

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
JBL Pro and JBL Consumer are different groups too, but JBL Pro does use the same blind testing as long as it fits in the room:

Source: Sean Olive
https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/...an-testing-lab/?do=findComment&comment=188227

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/...an-testing-lab/?do=findComment&comment=188654
“LSR monitors are tested against other pro monitor competitors including Genelec. We have tested them against consumer speakers from time to time. Our best consumer models do well against LSR: why wouldn't they since we aim for the same performance targets in consumer/pro monitors, and both are designed and tested in the same facility.”

EDIT: These are from 2012, so I don’t know if this is still true today.
Yah, I remembered seeing something similar recently about a very recent JBL release being blind tested. I will have to find it.

samysound

Just guessing but I suspect the L100's can handle higher SPL, though in most cases this won't matter as I suspect the 4329p can go fairly loud. The L100 though is famous for truly handling over 110db levels, though again do you do this?

Obviously L100's can be had for much less than retail now ( I have heard of 1/2 price discounts for the savy) and the 4329p likely will be less discounted if at all at 1st.

The 4329p seems like it will be harder to PEQ and simultaneous take advantage of built in streaming, so that is a bummer.
Also the L100 does not appear to use a waveguide/horn so the directivity behavior is presumably very different in the high frequencies.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
Also the L100 does not appear to use a waveguide/horn so the directivity behavior is presumably very different in the high frequencies.

It (L100)does use a shallow circular tweeter waveguide and has the midrange but I agree that it still will likely present very differently.
Probably much wider dispersion in the general amoung other things

Anecdotally, I had the L82 and 4309 side by side for awhile.
I really liked both.
L82 was wider and also smoother measuring. The 4309 ultimately was my preference though by just a little.
Don't know why, just love them.
For 2.0 though the L82 was vastly superior in the bass range. So far it had the best clean, extended and dynamic bass(subjectively at least) of all the 'bookshelf' 2ways I have used.

Anyway, I kind of wished they used that L82 woofer in the 4329p, of course maybe the one in there is equally good or better. We will find out.

OP
V

Valentin R

9BDD77DC-45EB-4F89-B84A-60CDE6AE3188.png
JBL JW200P-4

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder how this compares to the 728G woofer in the 708s? There doesn't seem to be any mention of the differential drive tech which is used in the 728G.
If they don’t advertise it, it won’t have it…

TSB

Having heard these I'd love to see them measured. My subjective impression is excellent like the 4305p.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder how this compares to the 728G woofer in the 708s?

From appearances, at least, it doesn't.

Clearly 4239p's woofer uses a standard overhung motor, not differential drive or underhung.

Note how much deeper 728G is motor is, to accommodate the tandem voice coils. Also, the exemplary compression performance @hardisj measured is less suprising when one sees all that heat sinking to draw heat from the motor.
5047951X-1.jpg

The 4329's woofer basket is one Harman has used for a while. For example, with a more elegant (looking, least) neo motor, in the Revel Ultima2 speakers.

photo02.jpg

The woofer used here is probably adequate for the application, but a mud-magnet overhung woofer is hardly the stuff of legend.

Last edited:

Zzzzz...

From appearances, at least, it doesn't.

Clearly 4239p's woofer uses a standard overhung motor, not differential drive or underhung.

Note how much deeper 728G is motor is, to accommodate the tandem voice coils. Also, the exemplary compression performance @hardisj measured is less suprising when one sees all that heat sinking to draw heat from the motor.
5047951X-1.jpg

The 4329's woofer basket is one Harman has used for a while. For example, with a more elegant (looking, least) neo motor, in the Revel Ultima2 speakers.

photo02.jpg

The woofer used here is probably adequate for the application, but a mud-magnet overhung woofer is hardly the stuff of legend.
The 728G definitely looks much more beefy.

I hope Amir gets in the 4329P for review and soon!

Top Bottom