• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL 4319 Studio Monitor Review

fricc

This is a review and detailed measurements of the JBL 4319 Studio Monitor, 3-way speaker review. It is kindly loaned to me by a member who bought it from Japan and had it sent to me. Apparently that is the last of the production before they switched to building them Malaysia. The 4319 is still in production and costs US $4,000 although I see it advertised for much less at US $2,495.

Very cool! I'd love to see measurements for the new L100 :)

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like 1970 all over again. Classic JBL cosmetics. Too bad the sound is old school as well. Thank you @amirm for another great review.

tuga

Major Contributor

au0vn1q.jpg

Audio PL

Uf3O40c.jpg

Hi-Fi News UK

QWtFXOM.jpg

HiFi Test DE

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I can't help but wonder what these JBL 4319 would be like if listened to for 2-5 days and then go back to the usual standards for speakers. I say this because I remember selling the JBL 4312A for years and if one listened to them for sometime then other speakers sounded ineffective and weak. The JBLs went reallly loud and clear when doing that. I think these JBLs have a place in the market albeit it not for most listeners.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What's the difference?

The rise at 3kHz is from the tweeter dial being a bit high, but it is likely dialed up a bit. The 800 Hz dip may also be from the dial being a bit low.

---
"From its inception, the 4311 monitor carried the designation "Control Monitor," while all other models have carried the designation "Studio Monitor." Even when later refined in the mid 1980's as the 4312, it retained the same forward voicing and low-frequency characteristics of its predecessors. Thus, JBL has maintained a distinction between Studio Monitors and Control Monitors."

Control Monitors have been designed with the following characteristics as most important:
A. Rising mid-range response.
B. Low-frequency response relatively undamped for rising response in free-standing positions.
C. Extended high frequency response.

Studio Monitors were designed with the following performance characteristics:
A. Flat axial response, with extended bandwidth beyond 20 kHz and optimum low-frequency performance in freestanding position.
B. Smooth power response.
C. Smooth phase (time domain) response.

Attachments

• JBL Technical Note - Vol.1, No.15.pdf
    3.3 MB · Views: 644

Trouble Maker

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The rise at 3kHz is from the tweeter dial being a bit high, but it is likely dialed up a bit. The 800 Hz dip may also be from the dial being a bit low.

Do you mean from these?

Holly molly I really hope that +4~5db around 10-20khz is not from a few degree offset on the High Frequency dial. I would hate to see/hear how bad they were if you cranked it up to max! What I'm saying is, that would be a very bad/broken design in these dials. It seems more likely that these speakers are just 'hot' in the high frequency range.

Edit: I can't find any direct info about what -Min/+Max dB targets are.
But, I did find a manual that seems to have the crossover network w/values, at least from what I can make out in the pixelated version without a login. Someone could do the maths, or put into some circuit analysis program if they wanted to get the actual numbers. I can't tell if the spec for those pots are in the diagram or not.
https://servlib.com/jbl/audio/studio-monitor-4319.html
1588294776922.png

Last edited:

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you mean from these?

Holly molly I really hope that +4~5db around 10-20khz is not from a few degree offset on the High Frequency dial. I would hate to see/hear how bad they were if you cranked it up to max! What I'm saying is, that would be a very bad/broken design in these dials. It seems more likely that these speakers are just 'hot' in the high frequency range.

But, I did find a manual that seems to have from what I can make out in the pixelated verison without a login crossover network w/values. Someone could do the maths, or put into some circuit analysis program if they wanted to get the actual numbers.

Yeah, a rising midrange is supposed to be part of the Control Monitor sound but that is a weakness of using L-pads instead of discrete networks. I was just thinking about the screw head. The dot may not line up as well as a 12 o’clock position.

I attached a PDF on the first page of the crossover

typericey

I'm currently running the 4312SE (Made in Mexico, Jerry Moro drivers, Control monitor, L-Pads) and I know what Amir means by boxy and closed. :p

Wombat

Master Contributor
Do you mean from these?

But, I did find a manual that seems to have the crossover network w/values, at least from what I can make out in the pixelated version without a login. Someone could do the maths, or put into some circuit analysis program if they wanted to get the actual numbers. I can't tell if the spec for those pots are in the diagram or not.
View attachment 61248

Clear copy in the technical manual.

Here2Learn

This report seems to show how JBL got their not-so-complementary name of "Jack But Loud" in some circles. Or it's for those who like distorted bass (that actually doesn't go down that far)... speaking of dirty stinking bass...

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
au0vn1q.jpg

Audio PL

Uf3O40c.jpg

Hi-Fi News UK

QWtFXOM.jpg

HiFi Test DE

I have some more measurements here.

On-axis with knobs at default and grille off, same with grille off, and with knobs at max (my preferred listening setup):
1588297249424.png

Rest of the measurements are with default knob settings.

Estimated Early reflections and ERDI based on incomplete data.
1588297393892.png

Horizontal:
1588297421634.png

Vertical to 30 degrees:
1588297449788.png

These measurements are not the prettiest, but I absolutely loved these speakers. I have my theories but based on our usual standards, the data is what it is. DI looks nice and wide though. Sometimes you just like what you like.

Edit: I think I should add the caveat that I mostly measured these at 1m, and these are the largest speakers I've measured. While I did run one sweep at 2m and it matched the 1m measurement it might influence the directivity data.

Last edited:

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
These measurements are not the prettiest, but I absolutely loved these speakers. I have my theories but based on our usual standards, the data is what it is. DI looks nice and wide though. Sometimes you just like what you like.

West Coast sound vs. East Coast sound?

The whole control monitor thing is interesting because it really shows that what JBL targeted in the 70/80’s was “wrong” from what we know about “ideal music”.

Scientifically, the whole circle of confusion applies here. Michael Jackson’s Thriller was mixed on a JBL 4310. Phil Collins used a 4311. Sting & The Police was recorded and mixed on a 4435
https://jblpro.com/en/site_elements/4430-and-4435-information

Trouble Maker

Addicted to Fun and Learning
These measurements are not the prettiest, but I absolutely loved these speakers.

Maybe I should give these a listen. They have them down at Yodabashi Akihabara and I plan to do some significant listening there when corona virus let's me get back to Tokyo. I LOVE the way they look, but the measurements don't look great, especially given the price. They would also be a (pretty big) stretch for my budget.

Last edited:

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe I should give these a listen. They have them down at Yodabashi Akihabara and I plan to do some significant listening there when corona virus let's me get back to Tokyo. I LOVE the way they look, but the measurements don't look great, especially given the price. They would also be a (pretty big) stretch for my budget.

Music Direct has them for $2500 with a generous in home trial period.

LDKTA

I've read about JBL Control Monitors vs. Studio Monitors. It is certainly interesting... I've never liked the sound signature of the Control Monitors. They are very annoying to listen to for most content and bright as daylight. These certainly shouldn't be considered for home use but to each their own. I do find the JBL 4307s to be quite enjoyable, I'd be more interested in seeing measurements on those.

Last edited:

typericey

In the case of my 4312SE, the treble is not forward at all and sometimes they even seem to be rolled off. Maybe my relatively heavily damped room is a factor...

The mids though are quite forward and can be fatiguing at times.

Top Bottom