• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL 4305p

YSC

Major Contributor
Not by half. Constant flat power response below ca. 100-150 Hz. Also that will produce too much bass in "typical" room, but not way too much almost everywhere. Factory setting producing flat axial and rising power towards sub bass is designed for use with room EQ DSP or bass tilt adjustment with dip switches etc, but that is limiting as passive speaker because both listener and speaker are forced away from the walls. One may listen outdoors in the middle of field, but clear majority has some room gain at LF.
Don't see that as a huge problem though, this is an active all in one speaker and with a bass control switch built in, not sure does it comes with app or so to do room EQ, but IMO using an anechoic flat speaker in a typical room should produce to preferred slight downward slope unless you have a real tiny room (like mine). and in any room any speaker will get quite some erratic room modes here and there, having a dropping bass response <100hz might not get the very elevated bass at the room mode peak, but you also mute the room mode null anyway, so it's kind of a give or take.

IMO an anechoic flat speaker is always easier to deal with/optimize with sub than one with some design assumption of my use case and tweak here and there

kimmosto

But it's not flat. Default response is ski jumping hill at LF so original statement is valid: poor bass response probably designed to get high preference rating for deaf believers :) Not difficult to design smarter initial. Done that for decades.

YSC

Major Contributor
But it's not flat. Default response is ski jumping hill at LF so original statement is valid: poor bass response probably designed to get high preference rating for deaf believers :) Not difficult to design smarter initial. Done that for decades.
still, going back to the measurement, the most boosted line was the listening window line, with on axis line only going like ~3db boost from 100hz down don't seem to be such a difference IMO, while PR score prefers on axis to be flat I guess that was a mass market taste type of boost. would be interesting to see what's the bass contour control implemented, can't find any info yet

OP
V

Valentin R

Is there a possibility that at higher volumes the power compresión or electronic protection will limit the low end and thanks to the slopping of the high end contour will still be in balance
And at lower volumes will be les noticeable because our sensitivity at low frequency

Something like a gradual loudness contour

One thing is a measurement at 1w(2.83v) another is at 20w with 6dB crest factor

YSC

Major Contributor
Is there a possibility that at higher volumes the power compresión or electronic protection will limit the low end and thanks to the slopping of the high end contour will still be in balance
And at lower volumes will be les noticeable because our sensitivity at low frequency

Something like a gradual loudness contour

One thing is a measurement at 1w(2.83v) another is at 20w with 6dB crest factor
I don't think so though, it seems like a mild boost to make the target crowd happy, in a showroom case either you have a boost in bass to let the demo feels punchy or boost highs to make it sound clearer and exaggerate details. since this is a rare if not the first JBL mass market high end active, I won't be surprised the boosted bass is intended to not be over the +/-3db mark yet preserve it as mostly anechoic flat.

while for more conscious ppl who would optimize the bass response, I am quite sure they have the built in bass contour presets to make it a studio worth speaker, whether it will have Buchardt or D&D like app which can let user to get a built in PEQ is another matter, will wait and see when the manual is released

P.S. I am satisified with my entry level genelecs, and can't afford these anyway, still it feels like quite a sound entry

AlexOak

Spotify connect anyone? Or do I have to stick with airplay with these?

ThELiZ

If anyone had to guess, do we think it's only a matter of time before a larger model from JBL with the same active 'smarts' will be announced? I like the look of this one, but it's not big enough (from a visual standpoint) for where I want to put them. I'd prefer a wider speaker.

TSB

If anyone had to guess, do we think it's only a matter of time before a larger model from JBL with the same active 'smarts' will be announced? I like the look of this one, but it's not big enough (from a visual standpoint) for where I want to put them. I'd prefer a wider speaker.
Afaik no such thing in the works atm

Guerilla

Bass response sucks with settings while that measurement. At least 2 times too much power at mid bass for home use without EQ. Flat power below predicted/typical Schoeder is better default balance. But that would give smaller preference rating because calculation with equation 9 sucks. Looks that manufacturers have already started making worse speakers to convince idiots (especially on ASR) who don't understand and believe other than single value no matter how limited and wrong it is.
@kimmosto You should try to comment threads in a more generally understood language instead of rapidly dropping audio-related terms and loosing half of us. Im sure you are one of the most knowledgeable members of the community, and we would appreciate if you share your insight in an easier understandable language and with less judgement over our modest level of knowledge

Cheers!

AlexOak

What would be the best way to expand the input capability of these? A dac with balanced output? Or is it possible to use unbalanced rca with adapters? Do I need to then have volume control in the dac?

Thanks

Guerilla

I believe it has a fine DAC build in allready so digital inputs
Cheers!

Guerilla

Which sources Will you Play audio from? If any og Them has a digital input you can just control it from there.

TSB

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor

concorde1

I want this too, only passive. Like the 4429 but with good measurements.

Top Bottom