• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL 4305p

Valentin R

6FF54070-3BE4-403D-8435-F3355B2BEC9F.jpeg
At Last JBL presents an active home/pro speaker
Wireless
AirPlay
Cast
BT
Aux

And from what I have seen it has ruler flat and excellent dispersion response

JRS

Major Contributor
That's so damn flat, reminds me be of the playa at Black Rock.

D

Vaskis

4305P has D class amp 25W to each compression driver and 125W to each woofer, includes a Bluetooth handheld remote control and can be controlled as part of a Google Home or Apple Airplay ecosystem (wired and wireless network audio capabilities via Ethernet, Google Chromecast Built-in, Apple AirPlay 2, and Bluetooth audio.).
a 24-bit/192kHz high-resolution DAC render MQA audio files and is certified Roon Ready,
Asynchronous USB and optical digital inputs, and a 3.5mm analog input. analog input with combination XLR / 1⁄4-inch TRS phono connectors and a selectable input sensitivity switch for use with balanced or unbalanced signals.

Interesting, looks like each speaker work separately as single unit, so then 1100 for single unit and can be used as mono. If proper discount it could work.

Last edited:

TurtlePaul

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Undoubtedly this on-axis response is via DSP. They did a good job on the directivity other than the 1.5 dB dip in first reflections at 2 kHz and 2 dB peak in sound power at 1.8 kHz which I assume is around the crossover frequency.

I wonder is JBL has any magic to make a 5.25" woofer happy to 45 Hz. Perhaps they just tuned down the Fs with added cone mass? They are giving the woofer a lot of amp power. I would still guess that this speaker gets unhappy in 96 dB testing, but would be pleased to be proved wrong. Check out that steep roll-off (48 dB/octave eight-order?).

OP
V

Valentin R

I think you would have to compare it with the same format from the competition
Kef ls50wii B&W formation duo Dynaudio xeo20 etc etc

nick-v

Looks like interesting competition for the LS50WII (Roon Ready as well). $800 less for a pair.

I hope that signal-sensing subwoofer output engages a variable high-pass filter on the speakers that you can set.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
I wonder is JBL has any magic to make a 5.25" woofer happy to 45 Hz. Perhaps they just tuned down the Fs with added cone mass? They are giving the woofer a lot of amp power.
125 to the woofer sounds about right to me to ensure higher spl with what is likely a fairly beefy and thus less efficient woofer. Plus required to accommodate bass boosting in the DSP.
I am sure that 45hrz is a combination of woofer design, tuning and DSP.
Tune the system right and you can really boost it with DSP right above fb and then cut it way back to minimize excursion below tuning.
This looks like a really great product. I really* like my 4309's and if they have similar dynamics and similar dispersion with the smaller horn then I might be involved in an order.
*I mean I really, really like my 4309 set.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A more home-friendly version of the 705P at a similar price point. Nice!

The tweeter is a step down (likely same as JBL HDI and the less expensive Synthesis in walls) and it is yet to be disclosed if the woofer is a spin-off of 705’s neo monster. However it’s hard to argue with that Spin. Depending on dimensions and available finishes this one could be a formidable Neumann/Genelec competitor for desktop systems.

Tom C

Major Contributor
The 705P horn and cabinet look smaller. If so, for some people the 705 could be more home friendly. Also, the 705P has 250W x 2, one amp on each driver.
I really like my 4349’s, but I think they’d be kinda big for some folks.

kimmosto

Bass response sucks with settings while that measurement. At least 2 times too much power at mid bass for home use without EQ. Flat power below predicted/typical Schoeder is better default balance. But that would give smaller preference rating because calculation with equation 9 sucks. Looks that manufacturers have already started making worse speakers to convince idiots (especially on ASR) who don't understand and believe other than single value no matter how limited and wrong it is.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The 705P horn and cabinet look smaller. If so, for some people the 705 could be more home friendly. Also, the 705P has 250W x 2, one amp on each driver.

705P is super deep though. Even 705i is quite deep - deep enough that I’ve never tried them in place of KH 80 DSP on my desk even though I have the correct electronics to do so (BSS BLU-USB + BLU-50).

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder is JBL has any magic to make a 5.25" woofer happy to 45 Hz. Perhaps they just tuned down the Fs with added cone mass?
Nah, that hurts the efficiency.

What you do is EQ your actual woofer with a Linkwitz Transform to drive the vented box like it's the 10" of your dreams. The 4305P's main limitation will be the volume you can surrender for ports, which keeps you from going too deep in 10L. Still, the ports buy 4-6dB efficiency, while giving lower response, and all you needed was a little simulation & IIR EQ

Of course, this paints you into a corner in terms of SPL. Your driver probably can't push 100dB at 50Hz, and you'd complain about noise from the small ports if it did. Either way, you use the same fix: as output rises, reduce the bass excursion with a variable-frequency HP rolloff.

SPL/extension is always a tradeoff, but the DSP lets it be adjusted in real-time. Beats the heck out of a heavier cone.

Exprymer

Nah, that hurts the efficiency.

What you do is EQ your actual woofer with a Linkwitz Transform to drive the vented box like it's the 10" of your dreams. The 4305P's main limitation will be the volume you can surrender for ports, which keeps you from going too deep in 10L. Still, the ports buy 4-6dB efficiency, while giving lower response, and all you needed was a little simulation & IIR EQ

Of course, this paints you into a corner in terms of SPL. Your driver probably can't push 100dB at 50Hz, and you'd complain about noise from the small ports if it did. Either way, you use the same fix: as output rises, reduce the bass excursion with a variable-frequency HP rolloff.

SPL/extension is always a tradeoff, but the DSP lets it be adjusted in real-time. Beats the heck out of a heavier cone.
From what I've read, then linkwitz transform can only be used with a closed box.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
705P is super deep though. Even 705i is quite deep - deep enough that I’ve never tried them in place of KH 80 DSP on my desk...

I have used mine on my desk, but had to let some of the rear of the speaker hang over the back. That worked great until one of the cats made a particularly enthusiastic leap off the top of the speaker, leaving my speaker on the floor.

Fortunately, the speaker came through unscathed (no fancy veneer for these lookers), and I just shifted them in a bit more.

This new line looks pretty interesting.

YSC

Major Contributor
Bass response sucks with settings while that measurement. At least 2 times too much power at mid bass for home use without EQ. Flat power below predicted/typical Schoeder is better default balance. But that would give smaller preference rating because calculation with equation 9 sucks. Looks that manufacturers have already started making worse speakers to convince idiots (especially on ASR) who don't understand and believe other than single value no matter how limited and wrong it is.
Sorry man, I think I know every word you say but I don't get what you actually mean.... do you want to say that the mid bass FR plot should be like dropping by half to make it great for typical home use????

I personally is against this kind of argument, since there is not "typical home" by any means, ppl put their speakers everywhere in their homes, close to wall (what type of wall material? with or without lining??) on bookshelf, next to the TV, inside kitchen.... and room dimensions are all over the place, and the rise in the bass frequency in the plot is 3db at most, so modest boost only, compared to a lot of hifi brand speakers I have come across in stereophile or so they always have a more pronounced mid bass boost. of course I do feel if it's KH80 type flat would be better, JBL speakers are always too deep and having a eye hurting 15-20khz peak or minor crossover problem so never my purchase choice, but it still measures well

kimmosto

do you want to say that the mid bass FR plot should be like dropping by half to make it great for typical home use????

I personally is against this kind of argument
Not by half. Constant flat power response below ca. 100-150 Hz. Also that will produce too much bass in "typical" room, but not way too much almost everywhere. Factory setting producing flat axial and rising power towards sub bass is designed for use with room EQ DSP or bass tilt adjustment with dip switches etc, but that is limiting as passive speaker because both listener and speaker are forced away from the walls. One may listen outdoors in the middle of field, but clear majority has some room gain at LF.

Top Bottom