• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL 4305p

TSB

Got my pair of 4305p today. It's very early yet, but all I can say right now is: Oh. My.

I had the same.

TSB

Well? Don't leave us in suspense haha - I've got one finger on the trigger already just waiting to make a decision between these, the LS50 WIIs and the A500s.
I only heard a prototype briefly, so I can't comment beyond my initial impression

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
He are some more pics, these are from Music Direct's listing for the speaker.

Also AudioAdvice a retailer, did an overview video which is nice and a great look at it. One cool feature I found out in the video is that it has a high pass 80hrz filter when the sub out is used. Excellent.
1652508483930.png

1652508513077.png

1652508574673.png

1652508596887.png

Last edited:

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
Hi measurements for the 4305p are reasonably similar to my 4309 with a bit of PEQ applied to that speaker.
If they do indeed sound similar I can confirm they are not bright, rather "full & vibrant" in the highs.
Shame about the maximum SPL/amp&driver limitations
The nice thing about the passive 4309 is that the user can use ahigh pass the drivers and choose maximum amplification levels. High Passed at 70hrz my 4309's can play beyond loud, staggeringly loud to be exact and never sound stressed. Even without the high pass they surly can outperform this 4305p.
Anyway looks like the 4305p is just not intended to fill a big space. I am actually glad for that personally as I don't need to be tempted to try to many more retail systems right now.

Last edited:

TSB

Hi measurements for the 4305p are reasonably similar to my 4309 with a bit of PEQ applied to that speaker.
If they do indeed sound similar I can confirm they are not bright, rather "full & vibrant" in the highs.
Shame about the maximum SPL/amp&driver limitations
The nice thing about the passive 4309 is that the user can use high pass the drivers and choose maximum amplification levels. High Passed at 70hrz my 4309's can play beyond loud, staggeringly loud to be exact and never sound stressed. Even without the high pass they surly can outperform this 4305p.
Anyway looks like the 4305p is just not intended to fill a big space. I am actually glad for that personally as I don't need to be tempted to try to many more retail systems right now.

"Even without the high pass they surly can outperform this 4305p."

Why do you say that?

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
"Even without the high pass they surly can outperform this 4305p."

Why do you say that?
The context there is in terms of SPL. With the 4309 not being nearly as SPL limited even when running full range. If you would have quoted the whole paragraph, I believe it is clear.
I personally don't listen near field and have no use for a speakers that is already being limited by the DSP/amp at 96db@1meter. I regularly hit 95-100+db peaks @3.75 meters
The 4305p is not even close to capable of filling my listening space at the volumes I use when listening on the louder side. The 4309 is capable of that.
The JBL 705p is similar to the 4305p but uses 2 much more powerful amps so for anyone looking for SPL maybe those will be a fit. They are not the cool retro design but they do have PEQ ability built in.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

AnalogCircuit

@grizzog
Can anyone comment on how the 4305P is in near field? .5-1.25M away
How do they compare to the 705P for near field listening this close?

I’m looking for 99% near field, non fatiguing for extended music listening at my computer and it’s between these two JBLs and Genelec 8330/G Three.

Last edited:

grizzog

@AnalogCircuit They work great for near field. The imaging was fantastic and they are adjustable if you need to put them near a wall as well. I ended up returning the set that I had, though. I have really sensitive hearing, and there was something to them that was making my ears feel uncomfortable. I don't know if it's that strong peak at the end of the tweeter's response, but something always felt uncomfortable. I tried to EQ them to remove it but wasn't able to; beyond that they were amazing, but I couldn't deal with that issue (but it doesn't seem to be common from others that have experience with JBLs with the same tweeter). I've owned probably somewhere near 100 pairs of speakers at this point and I've got a set of JBL S3900 so I'm no stranger to horns, so I'm not sure what the issue was.

AnalogCircuit

@AnalogCircuit They work great for near field. The imaging was fantastic and they are adjustable if you need to put them near a wall as well. I ended up returning the set that I had, though. I have really sensitive hearing, and there was something to them that was making my ears feel uncomfortable. I don't know if it's that strong peak at the end of the tweeter's response, but something always felt uncomfortable. I tried to EQ them to remove it but wasn't able to; beyond that they were amazing, but I couldn't deal with that issue (but it doesn't seem to be common from others that have experience with JBLs with the same tweeter). I've owned probably somewhere near 100 pairs of speakers at this point and I've got a set of JBL S3900 so I'm no stranger to horns, so I'm not sure what the issue was.

I really appreciate the detail. I get really fatigued with any distortion or anomalies at higher frequencies so that would be a concern for me as well. I'll give the 705P's a shot.

TSB

I
This does not match my experience at all, using them in very near field on my desk. One of the least fatigueing speakers I've heard.

radix

Major Contributor
Is anyone using these with multiple inputs? It looks like it has a really simple UI to switch inputs that does not require using a tablet/phone.

I could not find in the manual, do they auto-switch inputs on signal? It seems like they will auto on/off on signal.

Top Bottom