• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL 306P MK II Review (Studio Monitor)

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's possible that some models and production runs might have more or less hiss depending on the batch of STA350BW amp chips.
I don't know, but it's absolutely true that people have different hearing sensitivity, so there's gonna be variance associated with the distance that people can hear the hiss from person to person.

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
I don't know, but it's absolutely true that people have different hearing sensitivity, so there's gonna be variance associated with the distance that people can hear the hiss from person to person.
Sure, and because we don't know the spectra of the hiss even if we have a broad dB level, we don't know if the spectra varies between models or batches, or how HF-oriented the hiss might be (and as a result harder for some people to hear).

Buckster

I probably know the answer to this already but how much effect would it be if part of the top "horn" was blocked ?

I have a pair of 308ii for Home Theater use and trying to find a centre to fit in middle but it will go in the cabinet

I've tried a 305 from my other setup and it fits fine but it looks a bit out of dimensions with the 308 and from initial playing it doesn't seem to go as loud/have as much dynamics

A 306 ii would just about fit but I have a structural bar partly in the way - cabinet height for space is 370 odd but height from.bottom of shelf to horizontal bracing is 330 not sure where that takes me up to on the speaker height relative to the horn

I could replace shelf underneath with a thinner one which would give me 358 height which is open so would be enough for all horn to be exposed ?

Else could have speaker upside down although tweeter would be a bit low compared to sitting height

LightninBoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Else could have speaker upside down although tweeter would be a bit low compared to sitting height

I believe this would be your best option. Looking at amir's graphs the vertical directivity is even below the tweeter (which would be above the tweeter when turned upside down).

Also I had them upside down for a while with tweeters slightly below ear level. Sounded and measured great. But you could always tilt them up a bit too (if you have room).

Buckster

I believe this would be your best option. Looking at amir's graphs the vertical directivity is even below the tweeter (which would be above the tweeter when turned upside down).

Also I had them upside down for a while with tweeters slightly below ear level. Sounded and measured great. But you could always tilt them up a bit too (if you have room).

Thankyou yes upside down would work

Only thing I'm struggling with now is a 306 II or pay about three times as much for. Genelec 8030c.

Just always feel the centre by far the most important speaker in home theater and yes wouldn't match the 308 quite as well as the 306 but wondering if it would play cleaner and louder ?

DeepShadow

Hello,I would enjoy advice from more experienced users,hesitating between JBL LSR306P MkII and Adam T5V for desktop use.I will listen from 1 meter in a sitting position and 2.5 meters from an armchair. Which option would be more appropriate, referring to the noticeable hissing at idle at JBL LSR306P MkII? The monitors will be connected to the PC via Schiit Magni 2 Uber...Listen to music at low to medium levels, will enjoy mainly music, movies and videos from YouTube.Thanks.

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello,I would enjoy advice from more experienced users,hesitating between JBL LSR306P MkII and Adam T5V for desktop use.I will listen from 1 meter in a sitting position and 2.5 meters from an armchair. Which option would be more appropriate, referring to the noticeable hissing at idle at JBL LSR306P MkII? The monitors will be connected to the PC via Schiit Magni 2 Uber...Listen to music at low to medium levels, will enjoy mainly music, movies and videos from YouTube.Thanks.
Order both from Amazon, listen and decide, send back the unit you didn't like. Simple!

Walter

Order both from Amazon, listen and decide, send back the unit you didn't like. Simple!
He's in Bulgaria so that may not be an option. I have not heard either speaker, but I would like to note that the 306 is considerably wider than T5V, if desktop space is an issue at all.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I wouldn't like to have my JBL 308p Mkii at 1m listening distance if they were going to be used for say PC computer duty, as the hissing when no music was playing would drive me up the wall when I was trying to work (etc), but if I was always using them just to listen to music then 1m wouldn't bother me as the hissing is not noticeable during music playback. I use my 308p's at 2m distance and hissing is inaudible at that distance even when nothing playing.

DeepShadow

He's in Bulgaria so that may not be an option. I have not heard either speaker, but I would like to note that the 306 is considerably wider than T5V, if desktop space is an issue at all.
Yes,it is true...at the same time I am considering being content with a passive Dynavoice Definition DM-6 and finally calming down.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Amazon delivers to Bulgaria which is EU country

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Walter

I was, but I have no idea what the relevance is.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I was, but I have no idea what the relevance is.
From the record liner: "Wilbury Record Company is a subdivision of the Trans-Wilbury Corporation of Bulgaria"

Walter

Waaaaaaay too obscure a fact for me to remember. ;)

Last edited:

CumSum

I have both, Adam T5V are better without a doubt and it's not that close. 306P will have a bit more bass, but the Adam T5V get louder with much cleaner output. Add in a quality sub (don't buy subs from pro-audio companies) and you've got very good sound for not a lot of money.

The T5V's have less hiss, though they can potentially pick up some noise through a USB DAC. They've done so with with my MiniDSP 2x4HD (first studio monitor/Amplifier to do so). When using optical, the noise is completely eliminated.

walter-

Can you recommend a pair of 306P MKII for a room size of 18m² (<200 sqft) (about 5.3 x 3.5m, no acoustic treatment)? Or even the 305P MKII?

What (except a major audiophile disaster) could be expected by placing the speakers in a closet horizontally, with a distance of 7cm to the closet "walls" on each side of one speaker, 13.5cm above and 9.3cm behind the speaker?
Alternativelly, the 305P (the smaller model) placed vertically would have 15cm of free space on each side, 6cm above and 14cm behind the speaker.

Last edited:

Ziltoe

No problem with the room size. Are you intending to place the speakers in a kinda cupboard, shelf or such? Looking at the boundary distances you've mentioned, issues may arise, however, both the 306 and 305 featuring a "BOUNDARY EQ SWITCH – This switch is used to compensate for low frequency anomalies that may occur when speakers are placed on a work surface or in close proximity to walls. Settings include 0dB, -1.5dB, and -3dB. Select the setting that provides the most natural bass response for the application." Give it a try but definitely you benefit from placing the speakers on stands, a console etc.

walter-

Thank you for your hints, Ziltoe :)

Are you intending to place the speakers in a kinda cupboard, shelf or such?
Yes, the cupboard consists of many "cubes" vertically and horizontally, each cube close to the other. Each cube has 50 x 35.8 x 37.5 cm (W x H x D).

Give it a try but definitely you benefit from placing the speakers on stands, a console etc.
This would require to make some major changes in the room. Anyway, I will consider that.

Would you prefer the 305 or 306 for the described room size of 18m² (<200 sqft) at a listening distance of (a bit less than) 3m (9.8 ft)?

Last edited:
Top Bottom