• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL 306P MK II Review (Studio Monitor)

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So what is the verdict: Kali LP6 vs 306P.

Price is almost identical where I live.
Frequency response and directivity are quite similar as nicely shown above from @BYRTT so I personally would the decision more on the distortion:

1611210560112.png

1611210588498.png

The LP6 woofer behaves better than the 306 one, it just has an unfortunate distortion bump between 1-2 kHz at a region which can be quite audible, although usually most music is in that region already several dB down compared to the bass as its spectrum resembles more pink than white noise.

Fantomasas123

Thanks for the intel. If they are similar, I suppose front-ported speaker is always going to be a superior in the 0.2-0.4m from wall in all scenarios? The tests are probably measuring everything in the optimal intake/distance/room acoustics, and it seems like Kalis come with some built-in EQ to compensate for sub-optimal placement and untreated room.

Truth to be told: performance close to wall, idle noise at night and generally any quirks/potential problems are more important than a percent or two lower distortion.

xcutionr13

Thanks for the review.

Your conclusion has convinced me to get a pair of these.

Which cable should I get to connect it to Topping DX3 Pro?

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Thanks for the review.

Your conclusion has convinced me to get a pair of these.

Which cable should I get to connect it to Topping DX3 Pro?
The cheapest XLR cable you like aeshetically that is made with Neutrik or Amphenol connectors and Canare, Belden, or Mogami audio signal cable is as good as it gets which mostly means the connector is pretty durable.

World's Best Cables and Blue Jean Cables are often recommended and are good choices.

The cheapest nice looking cables you can find with generic connectors will very likely perform just as well if you don't want to spend $50 on signal cables. I have a couple Amazon Basics and Monoprice and they have performed as they should.

xcutionr13

The cheapest XLR cable you like aeshetically that is made with Neutrik or Amphenol connectors and Canare, Belden, or Mogami audio signal cable is as good as it gets which mostly means the connector is pretty durable.

World's Best Cables and Blue Jean Cables are often recommended and are good choices.

The cheapest nice looking cables you can find with generic connectors will very likely perform just as well if you don't want to spend $50 on signal cables. I have a couple Amazon Basics and Monoprice and they have performed as they should.

My Topping DX3 Pro can only accept RCA connectors and neither of the two brands you mentioned make either XLR or 1/4 to RCA.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
My Topping DX3 Pro can only accept RCA connectors and neither of the two brands you mentioned make either XLR or 1/4 to RCA.
Unless you really need to run very long cable runs, RCA -> 1/4 TR works fine with my 306P that I run off the KTB most of the time.
Just remember to set the dip switches at the back accordingly.

StuartC

Forum Donor
So a pair of these landed on my doorstep this morning. I've set them up at my workstation (~3ft listening distance), hooked them up, switched them on..... big disappointment. The hiss during the interval between songs, as well as during very quiet sections of music cannot be ignored. It really is just in your face. Will be packing these up shortly and initiating a return. Shame.

txbdan

So a pair of these landed on my doorstep this morning. I've set them up at my workstation (~3ft listening distance), hooked them up, switched them on..... big disappointment. The hiss during the interval between songs, as well as during very quiet sections of music cannot be ignored. It really is just in your face. Will be packing these up shortly and initiating a return. Shame.

Yep, I had 306Ps for awhile setup in my basement quite spread out around a big desk. Probably 6ft from me, but the hiss drove me insane. I got rid of them after a couple months.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yep, I had 306Ps for awhile setup in my basement quite spread out around a big desk. Probably 6ft from me, but the hiss drove me insane. I got rid of them after a couple months.
My 308p's are fine at 2m listening distance (don't hear the hiss at all), but I don't think I'd be able to use them that much closer, and certainly not on my desk.

tsudenko

Does anyone have any idea how this pairs up against the edifiers s350db? I live in Australia and both this and the edifiers s350db are the same price.
I do have a topping dx3 pro which these speakers can take advantage of.

LightninBoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Directivity:
I am wondering if the axis was set too high?
At -10deg Vertically the response looks smoother.
Excellent Horizontal directivity

Just noticing this. In the review, Amir notes that the reference point was center of the tweeter. That would, in theory, be too high. The front lights on studio monitors are visual indicators to the proper listening height, and on this model they are a couple inches lower than the tweeter.

Francis Vaughan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Just noticing this. In the review, Amir notes that the reference point was center of the tweeter. That would, in theory, be too high.
This is a source of continuing confusion. Klippel needs a reference point set in a manner that allows for stable computation. The axis of the tweeter does this. Moving away from this position tends to lead to lower accuracy in its calculation of the sound field. This axis does not need to be the axis along which the response is calculated or evaluated. Indeed Klippel can provide the response along any axis from its measurements. That is a big part of its magic.
But by default the same axis is chosen, so there can be issues. Looking at the vertical directivity is a good guide as to how important this may be. You can see how Amir has noted issues apparent in the directivity above the axis, but exactly on axis is as good as lower. So the evaluation is reasonable here.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One of my 13 year old KRK Rokit 6 RPG2's died a couple of weeks ago. I turned it on after being gone for several weeks and I heard a loud pop and then it made no sound except a crackle. Rather than opening it up and replacing the blown capacitor and resistor I decided to buy a pair of 306P MKII's. I replaced a Topping D50 with a Topping D30 Pro at the same time since I needed a balanced source to drive them.

All I can say is wow! I thought the Rokit's sounded good. The JBL's are on a whole different level. Zero hiss and just wonderfully detailed music. Thanks once again Amir. I love this site.

Martin

maxxevv

Major Contributor
One of my 13 year old KRK Rokit 6 RPG2's died a couple of weeks ago. I turned it on after being gone for several weeks and I heard a loud pop and then it made no sound except a crackle. Rather than opening it up and replacing the blown capacitor and resistor I decided to buy a pair of 306P MKII's. I replaced a Topping D50 with a Topping D30 Pro at the same time since I needed a balanced source to drive them.

All I can say is wow! I thought the Rokit's sounded good. The JBL's are on a whole different level. Zero hiss and just wonderfully detailed music. Thanks once again Amir. I love this site.

Martin
Actually, you can drive them with a RCA > TR 6.35mm cable. I drive mine with a Khadas Tone Board. Just need to set the gain switch accordingly.
But do try the suggested EQ settings.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Martin
Nice, but "zero hiss", I think that's impossible, all the 3 series Mkii have hiss....it's just whether or not you can hear it at your listening position, if you put your ear up to the tweeter you should hear it, I can hear it on mine within about 1 meter. (balanced connections won't change the hiss).

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice, but "zero hiss", I think that's impossible, all the 3 series Mkii have hiss....it's just whether or not you can hear it at your listening position, if you put your ear up to the tweeter you should hear it, I can hear it on mine within about 1 meter. (balanced connections won't change the hiss).

OK. If I put my ear up to the tweeter I hear hiss. It disappears into the room noise at about 12-18” and is completely inaudible at my listening position about 4’ away. I didn’t realize anyone was using these like headphones. :p

The input sensitivity is set at +4dBu, volume between 5 and 6, HF trim and boundary EQ at 0. My D30 Pro is set to -7.0dB and I have a -3dB preamp setting in JRiver to compensate for the +3dB EQ recommended by Amir. I’m going to play with boundary EQ since I have them on wall mounts. They sound damn nice and play loud.

Martin

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OK. If I put my ear up to the tweeter I hear hiss. It disappears into the room noise at about 12-18” and is completely inaudible at my listening position about 4’ away. I didn’t realize anyone was using these like headphones. :p

The input sensitivity is set at +4dBu, volume between 5 and 6, HF trim and boundary EQ at 0. My D30 Pro is set to -7.0dB and I have a -3dB preamp setting in JRiver to compensate for the +3dB EQ recommended by Amir. I’m going to play with boundary EQ since I have them on wall mounts. They sound damn nice and play loud.

Martin
Ha, I don't be using them like earphones, but I wouldn't want them on my desk because I can hear them under 1 meter distance, but absolutely fine for my usage in the living room at 2m listening position for music & TV/movie duty. I'm glad you're enjoying them.

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
It's possible that some models and production runs might have more or less hiss depending on the batch of STA350BW amp chips.

Top Bottom