• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL LSR305P MKii and Control 1 Pro Monitors Review

vntgehauer

Not sure if wrong sub but I'd like to add I just got these for the great price that they are on sale for- $109 each. They are a bit larger than what I need/wanted for my desk setup, but for the cost and the little bit of Audio production I'll use them for I can't complain.

One issue I'm having is I use a 24" CRT monitor (HPA7217A.) Having these speakers to close to my monitor and I see the EM interference. I ASSUMED these speakers were fully shielded for such a situation. But maybe their shielded more for music production than for sitting near monitors?

Any help would be appreciated with maybe switching out to different monitors or just using better barriers between.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
maybe switching out to different monitors or just using better barriers between.
Best is to buy a new non-CRT monitor. I suggest 144 frames per second refresh rate or better.

Last edited:

vntgehauer

Best is to buy a new non-CRT monitor. I suggest 144 frames per second refresh rate or better.

If you can rip my 24" CRT from my cold dead hands.
I'm going to go there- But have you seen the clarity difference between CRT's and LCD's or similar? Have you REALLY looked up close to a CRT and a non CRT for the sharpness and the difference? Have you played on a CRT for gaming? .23 dot pitch. No monitor can beat that. So damn clear and sharp.

I've been computing on my CRT (same as sony FW900) since my first computer back in '89. I'm still not impressed with LCD's. If you look close it's nothing but jaggie ugly crap. And gaming ghosting? What's that? Bwahaha!

But ya, i'm stuck in my ways, unfortunately. (I do, however, have a second LCD display for second duty.)

Maybe, I'll just wrap the speakers in coils of foil.

Ericglo

Since it isn't that hard to take the speakers apart, I would look to shield the drivers individually. A bucking magnet and steel cup would be needed. Not sure if you could remove one off an old shielded driver or not. Curt Palme might know. Ask him over on his forum.

CRTs were fun. I had a lot of them over the years including the top of the line monitors. I was into front pjs as well. Started with a NEC and ended with a Sony G90.

vntgehauer

Since it isn't that hard to take the speakers apart, I would look to shield the drivers individually. A bucking magnet and steel cup would be needed. Not sure if you could remove one off an old shielded driver or not. Curt Palme might know. Ask him over on his forum.

CRTs were fun. I had a lot of them over the years including the top of the line monitors. I was into front pjs as well. Started with a NEC and ended with a Sony G90.

Thanks for that info Ericglo-

Well, according to JBL's own spec sheet: (bold-faced emphasis mine.)

305P, 306P, AND 308P MKII FEATURES 3 Series MkII models include a range of features to meet the needs of demanding audio production applications:
The magnetically-shielded low frequency transducers in MkII models, equipped with 1.5" voice coils and robust motor structures fine tuned for increased linearity, deliver excellent low frequency performance. By reducing thermal-related effects, the 3 Series MkII Studio Monitors and LSR310S Subwoofer sound the same at low, medium, and high levels. The woofers are magnetically shielded to prevent interference with magnetically sensitive displays and equipment. The woofer’s self-repairing dust dome is resistant to dents caused by fingers or external objects.
• JBL’s patented Slip Stream™ low frequency port design works in concert with the woofer to produce deep bass response at any playback level. The double-flared shape of the port is precisely engineered for greater low frequency extension and reduced turbulence.
• The bi-amplified design, with individual power amplifiers for the low frequency and high frequency transducers, uses efficient high-output Class-D integrated power amplifiers to provide high SPL (sound pressure level).
Magnetically-shielded soft dome high frequency transducers with optimally damped materials improve transient response and minimize distortion. By reducing distortion in the lower operating range, where the ear is most sensitive, these transducers reduce ear fatigue.

All that work was supposed to be done already. And as I assumed as a laymen buying my first set of true monitor speakers- Though, I was assuming it meant being near any type of audio equipment- (even a monitor of my archaic kind)- which is stated in the upper bold-faced/underlined writing.

So, is my monitor's display tube too large so more sensitive or are the JBL's magnetic shielding suspect?

I would hate to return these for some other monitor's that actually may very well be shielded better but with less acceptance of this community.

Damn, maybe after the 45 day warranty/return period is up i'll take 'em apart to see if they really are shielded.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
If you can rip my 24" CRT from my cold dead hands.
I'm going to go there- But have you seen the clarity difference between CRT's and LCD's or similar? Have you REALLY looked up close to a CRT and a non CRT for the sharpness and the difference? Have you played on a CRT for gaming? .23 dot pitch. No monitor can beat that. So damn clear and sharp.

I've been computing on my CRT (same as sony FW900) since my first computer back in '89. I'm still not impressed with LCD's. If you look close it's nothing but jaggie ugly crap. And gaming ghosting? What's that? Bwahaha!

But ya, i'm stuck in my ways, unfortunately. (I do, however, have a second LCD display for second duty.)

Maybe, I'll just wrap the speakers in coils of foil.

Depends the specific CRT you are talking about. I have had good ones and not so good ones over the years. I had a Samsung 955DF that had an even finer pitch than your 0.23mm.

On the average, an IPS LCD panel with 4K resolution will beat a decent CRT. Dot pich is irrelevant at that level. Your eyes only have a resolution of about 250~300 dpi at minimum focus distance ( varies a little between individuals). Which is about 0.085mm at slightly less than 30cm. Unless you are using your monitor that close, you are perfectly fine at about 200 dpi from 60~70cm.
An example would be a Dell 24"Ultra HD monitor P2415Q. It has a dot pitch of 0.13725mm (if you still insist that its important). It has a billion colour gamut.

Other than maybe some super high end EIZO monitor from back in the day (not that I am aware of any), nothing in the CRT galaxy goes that far.

So at best, you are just too attached to your CRT.

vntgehauer

Depends the specific CRT you are talking about. I have had good ones and not so good ones over the years. I had a Samsung 955DF that had an even finer pitch than your 0.23mm.

On the average, an IPS LCD panel with 4K resolution will beat a decent CRT. Dot pich is irrelevant at that level. Your eyes only have a resolution of about 250~300 dpi at minimum focus distance ( varies a little between individuals). Which is about 0.085mm at slightly less than 30cm. Unless you are using your monitor that close, you are perfectly fine at about 200 dpi from 60~70cm.
An example would be a Dell 24"Ultra HD monitor P2415Q. It has a dot pitch of 0.13725mm (if you still insist that its important). It has a billion colour gamut.

Other than maybe some super high end EIZO monitor from back in the day (not that I am aware of any), nothing in the CRT galaxy goes that far.

So at best, you are just too attached to your CRT.

I hope you're right.

I basically, have the HP rebranded Sony GDM-FW900. (they're actually bonkers on reseller sites.)
But every time I go look at monitors- (control panel/ all Icon's) and look at them close up- they're always jaggy crap. I don't get it. And anywhere onscreen I just don't see the letters being as sharp. I'm usually about 12-14" away from my monitor when I'm doing serious work.

Of course for gaming. forget it. Nothing compares. I'm only linking this because it's damn true. https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/kz4gqm/why-this-20-year-old-crt-monitor-is-better-than-a-4k-lcd
I do game quite a bit. Can't break that old habit.

I'll go take a objective look though. I would love to switch over if not for just making out on selling them off (I have 2) which I bought for $50 some years ago.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
If you have a refresh rate that's a true 60hz and above, there really isn't a reason why modern/current IPS LCD's cannot match CRT in terms of response.

That's ridiculously close if you are staring that close to a monitor for work. I do CAD work on mine, I'm typically 2 feet away .

Do note that Dr Raymond Soneira's study linked in the article is from 2009. LCD displays have moved on technically by leaps since.

Drop by a shop with LCDs that have known specs to get a truer comparison. Most of the display ones at your budget electronics stores don't cut it.

Ericglo

I can't answer the question on the driver's shielding. Maybe it isn't good enough.

I am not going to debate the merits of CRTs for gaming. The last couple of games I played were on my OLED and the picture was stunning. Motion was ok, but that is to be expected. Read blur busters to see where current displays are in regards to handling motion.

vntgehauer

I can't answer the question on the driver's shielding. Maybe it isn't good enough.

I am not going to debate the merits of CRTs for gaming. The last couple of games I played were on my OLED and the picture was stunning. Motion was ok, but that is to be expected. Read blur busters to see where current displays are in regards to handling motion.

Thank you for that Blur Busters link. Great info.

I've never gamed on lcd. I've only gamed (pcmaster race here) on CRT's. But i'll keep an open mind- But any blurring will probably stand out to my eyes quite prominently. I'll give it a shot though.

vntgehauer

If you have a refresh rate that's a true 60hz and above, there really isn't a reason why modern/current IPS LCD's cannot match CRT in terms of response.

That's ridiculously close if you are staring that close to a monitor for work. I do CAD work on mine, I'm typically 2 feet away .

Do note that Dr Raymond Soneira's study linked in the article is from 2009. LCD displays have moved on technically by leaps since.

Drop by a shop with LCDs that have known specs to get a truer comparison. Most of the display ones at your budget electronics stores don't cut it.

I highly doubt even new IPS LCD's can keep up with a CRT without some ghosting.

I do get close up. I'm running at 2304 by 1440 at 80hz. It's as clear and sharp as anything. I can stare at it for hours no problems (since the late 80's in anycase.) Any lesser hz and I can see the flicker- I can't look at it at 60hz. My eyes start hurting.

Thank you for correcting me on the Doctor's study date. Didn't delve into that. I will read his old article in anycase.

I'm going somewhere today to look at some monitors. Wish me luck!

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've never gamed on lcd. I've only gamed (pcmaster race here) on CRT's.
I was hesitant and then I got a 144 Hz refresh rate gaming monitor. I run a more powerful than usually required video card and get those frames rates really high so the motion is really smooth. It beats 85 Hz hands down anyday and costs reasonably too. Super high resolution at high refresh rates will cost more.
https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/UM.FG6AA.B01

ranai

It's been a while since I got my 305p mk2 and now for a while they are paired with the Topping DX7 Pro as the source.
I got the placement set so that the bass is more controlled. There are still reflections but it's tolerable. The problem I have with them that I'd like to fix somehow is vocals sound distant. Any tips on getting a bit more mid range out of them? Should I EQ it or is there any other tips?

_Bass

It's been a while since I got my 305p mk2 and now for a while they are paired with the Topping DX7 Pro as the source.
I got the placement set so that the bass is more controlled. There are still reflections but it's tolerable. The problem I have with them that I'd like to fix somehow is vocals sound distant. Any tips on getting a bit more mid range out of them? Should I EQ it or is there any other tips?

Interesting... I do not own a pair, but the measurements do not show them as lacking in mid range.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Try +2 dB, Q = 1 at 1.600 Hz.

Pio2001

The problem I have with them that I'd like to fix somehow is vocals sound distant. Any tips on getting a bit more mid range out of them? Should I EQ it or is there any other tips?

Yes, you can try to equalize them according to the measurements. I have posted a set of filters and their impulse response in this discussion : https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/jbl-305p-mkii-equalization.10874/

TimVG did the same here. His correction might be more accurate than mine : https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...pro-monitors-review.10811/page-26#post-345828

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Has anyone played with Boundary EQ and HF Trim an kept the setting?

1594043277243.png

Top Bottom