• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL LSR305P MKii and Control 1 Pro Monitors Review

ranai

I've brought them more to each other, from 190 cm to 160 and it seems better I'll continue testing different positions a bit later in the day as the neighbors won't be delighted hearing daft punk at 7 AM after hearing it 100 times yesterday :D:facepalm:

I'll read up on measurement and room correction here and try it with my phone. Thanks for the suggestion!

digicidal

Major Contributor
Don't forget the shelving options... if you're getting way too much bass output for the room... you can trim it at the monitor. You might try them with the "Boundary EQ" at -1.5dB or even -3dB (at 70Hz IIRC). It helps if you're going to keep them pushed up against the wall like that.

Barring that, you can stuff a sock in the port... I did that on my T7V's in my entertainment center when the shelving wasn't quite enough. You can also trim the highs as well with the other switch - or at least make sure it's not boosted (it has -2dB/0dB/+2dB positions).

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Yes, I was running 7 Maggies and dual subs for years. Honestly, my 1.6QRs and center channel Maggie were getting long in the tooth having just turned 20. They still performed well, except that the bass panel on one unit could occasionally buzz on the odd heavy bass note. I knew they all needed some factory TLC or outright replacement, and when I came across a few impressive reviews of the JBL 3 Series, I decided to dip my toe. To reiterate, I bought seven 1st generation JBL LSR 305s because of their neutrality vs. the MkII version. I was shocked at how far conventional driver technology has come, hearing something new and highly regarded in my home system that wasn’t a Magnepan (or a Quad ESL57, my other obsession) for the first time in two decades. (I’m also sensitive to time-alignment, so there’s that.) The main thing that has long attracted me to the best planar speakers has been their ultra-low distortion. The spatial presentation of planars is unarguably seductive, but ultimately their dipole radiation invites tons of comb filtering-induced coloration and room echo, no matter how you place them. For that reason, I’ve always resorted to careful acoustic ”props” to deal with the rear reflections, with a limited degree of success. Now I’m in hog heaven since the JBLs just sort of “want to” sound neutral pretty much anywhere you place them. I can even walk down the hall and into the bathroom without hearing a dramatic shift in spectral balance. Naturally I have my septet of 1st generation LSR305s laser-aligned in my media room for distance and angle...to the millimeter, and I’ve retained my room treatment, which is helpful regardless of the speakers involved. Stereo imaging is as good as anything I’ve ever encountered anywhere, but the sense of ”bigness” for lack of a better word doesn’t match big planars. For me, that trade off is worth it, though: what I lost in “image size” is offset by more pinpoint focus, which is entertaining in it’s own right. My latest kick over the past few weeks has been deploying multiple subs (5 in my case, so it’s a 7.5 system now) and tweaking them for level, timing, phase and global EQ for the smoothest, most coherent bass response I can achieve. Take a look at the work of Floyd E. Toole, et. al. for the lowdown on all that. I’m using the excellent Dayton Audio DSP-408 and the results have been pretty spectacular.

If you want it to sound "bigger", you can try playing with the mode and gain switches behind on the speakers. They can make a big difference in my experimentation with my 306P MkII. If they are still not suffice, look out for sales on the 308P MkII, they can be had for under US$199/each when on sale. Occasionally even lower.

Hello everyone
I've purchased the 305 mk2 speakers on this reviews recommendations.
Currently they're fed from my PCs onboard soundcard but I've ordered a DX7 pro that will be a dac and headphone amp for my HD650.
Until my stands arrived i used them on my pc desk and was really happy by the sound they produced, they lacked bass and I was fine with that.
Now my stands arrived, I filled them with sand got them away from the wall as much as I could and they're horribly V shaped, it's all bass and highs.
I'm trying to correct that as much as I can but I don't have a fancy mesurament mic, all I have is a chinese "finfine" USB mic.
Don't know if I should wait for the DX7 pro and then play with the sound and positioning or do it now.
Any help would be great.

I've been lurking for long and I'm really thankful for such a great community of enthusiasts !

P.S. keeping these things clean is such a hassle...

p.p.s. Ignore the crappy RCA cable right now, i've made some XLR cables for when the DAC arrives...

As @digicidal highlighted below, go toy with the dip switches on the back panel. If you are using XLR inputs, switch around the input sensitivity dip switch.

They make a big difference !

Don't forget the shelving options... if you're getting way too much bass output for the room... you can trim it at the monitor. You might try them with the "Boundary EQ" at -1.5dB or even -3dB (at 70Hz IIRC). It helps if you're going to keep them pushed up against the wall like that.

Barring that, you can stuff a sock in the port... I did that on my T7V's in my entertainment center when the shelving wasn't quite enough. You can also trim the highs as well with the other switch - or at least make sure it's not boosted (it has -2dB/0dB/+2dB positions).

maxxevv

Major Contributor
@ranai , here's the link to the online manual for the JBL 3 Series monitors.

https://adn.harmanpro.com/site_elem.../JBL_3_Series_MkII_Owners_Manual_original.pdf

If you are using the XLR connection and find the Bass too heavy or overall too loud / slightly distorted, play with the input sensitivity and try the "+4 " instead of the default "-10".

Also the "Boundary EQ Switch", if it sounds too boomy, switch to a different setting. Similarly for the "HF Trim", if it sounds too bright, try a different setting.

The speakers can sound very different with just tuning between the 3 dip-switches' positions.

ranai

It's actually not too loud but it seems that it's bouncing in the room, my walls are empty and I'll try to DIY some absorbers once this corona situations settles...

I've got them in a good spot now with the boomy bass but i feel there is still improvements that can be made to the room to improve it.
So far I'm loving the speakers but hate the finish, i'd really like to know who in JBL signed for the piano black plastic that can be scratched with a microfiber cloth :facepalm:

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Play with the dip switches at the back, especially the "Boundary EQ" .

The difference is very audible if you listen at anything in the 65dB SPL range or more.

dorirod

The 305P MkII are on sale for $109.00/ea on various sites if anyone was waiting on purchasing them. Not sure if they're clearing out stock for mkiii or what...

hellboundlex

Forum Donor
Hello. First, thanks for the great info and the great review. I own a pair of these monitors, and wanted to make a few points, and I apologize if they have been made already. First, the hiss is faint, and can be managed by using balanced outputs that are the full 4v and leaving the setting on -10dbv. After this, you can turn the volume down to about 5 or 6, and barely hear the hiss (I am assuming you are using a passive preamp of some sort between dac and speaker). Second, the market for these is cheap home studios for aspiring musicians, and considering this the amount of dedication to the craft is amazing.

I can't wait to read the rest of the reviews of active speakers, as I am in the market for a set for a different room. The fact that your first speaker review is of a speaker I am so familiar with will make the remaining ones easier for me to read and understand.

Thanks so much for your hard work!

DavidMcRoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have a minor update on my surround setup using multiple phased and time-corrected subwoofers (5 of them) and seven JBL LSR305s. I recently built-out the system to an 11.5-channel, Dolby Atmos- and DTS:X- compatible system in the 7.5.4 configuration, with the introduction of the preamp/processor section of a Pioneer VSX-LX503 receiver and the installation of 4 overhead JBL LSR305s to my preexisting 7-channel system.

Concisely speaking, the JBLs continue to impress, and their out-of-the-box overall coherence, consitency and predictability makes them a breeze to set up. There really is a great deal to be said for the constant-directivity approach to radiation geometry when it comes to getting the speaker to play nice with the room. They’re great for multichannel use, being sufficiently compact and affordable to use in great numbers if you want every speaker to be identical. Highly recommended.

Re: hiss, it’s very low in level, a non-issue for me, only audible with your head against the tweeter on all of my units. They are all relatively recent builds from right before that model’s discontinuation. I have read anecdotally that the hiss is a bigger issue on early-run units, but I don’t know if that’s true. Anyway, I’m a happy camper. (In any system where noise of any kind is an issue, I suggest experimenting with the system’s gain structure: simply run all of the preamp’s channel outputs at max and set the JBL’s sensitivity to +4 dB instead of -10 dB. That’ll push your noise floor down by several dB. As long as your preamp can run high levels without distortion, you’re good. If not, back-off on the level until things clean up.)

I happen to have a single JBL 305Pro MkII in house, one that was shipped to me in error, which I may unbox and test independently someday. Online reviews have shown that the MkIIs have a peaky treble range that doesn’t afflict the original LSR 305, and that’s why I standardized on the older design. (The MkII supposedly has a few improvements over the LSR in a few areas.)

Last edited:

shellback

Audio Company
Would the 305P Mkii make for a good nightstand stereo setup? Mostly for mood music and not critical listening. Although I would still like them to sound good/pleasing.

If not I'll look for other options in other threads or start a new one.

hellboundlex

Forum Donor
Would the 305P Mkii make for a good nightstand stereo setup? Mostly for mood music and not critical listening. Although I would still like them to sound good/pleasing.

If not I'll look for other options in other threads or start a new one.

Not really. Putting speakers on either side of the bed would make the sweet spot past the foot of the bed.

DavidMcRoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I've just checked. It has absolutely no effect on the hiss coming from the tweeter.

Of course, you are correct since the hiss seems to be coming from the speaker’s onboard electronics, not the source. I should have been more clear about that.

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
Why is that? Wouldn't that imply that very few people would prefer them?
It is the nature of the beast. I still have magnepan mmg and still love them. Silky smooth with weak bass. Very difficult to integrate bass. Room correction will not work with dipole. Look at Maggie's instructions to connect sub. They do not recommend Sub out. You patch the preamp main outs to the sub and use its crossover. The center and surrounds go to mains.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is the nature of the beast. I still have magnepan mmg and still love them. Silky smooth with weak bass. Very difficult to integrate bass. Room correction will not work with dipole. Look at Maggie's instructions to connect sub. They do not recommend Sub out. You patch the preamp main outs to the sub and use its crossover. The center and surrounds go to mains.

I think I've seen some pretty decent measurements from panels before, could be wrong though.

Top Bottom