• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL LSR305P MKii and Control 1 Pro Monitors Review

DavidMcRoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
JBL voiced the MkII brighter than MkI, it is obvious in all measurements. Sorry I haven't saved room response. here the speaker sits on a ladder in middle of the room.
View attachment 46246
View attachment 46248

More about MkI http://noaudiophile.com/JBL_LSR305/
After examining all the tests and reviews here and elsewhere, I sought-out a pair of 305 Mk1s. I ended up replacing all of my Magnepans in my 7.4 system with a septet of 305 Mk1s and couldn’t be happier. I ditched my DSP for EQ except on my subwoofers.

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
After examining all the tests and reviews here and elsewhere, I sought-out a pair of 305 Mk1s. I ended up replacing all of my Magnepans in my 7.4 system with a septet of 305 Mk1s and couldn’t be happier. I ditched my DSP for EQ except on my subwoofers.
That's quite a change! Interested to see some large ribbon/electrostatic speakers like Magnepans, Martin Logans, et al measured. How do you feel about the spatial qualities of the sound in the small two-ways vs. the larger planars?

Juhazi

Major Contributor

Wau! So you had 7 Magnepans? I use diy multiway dipoles as L and R but C and SL/SR are "normal" 2-way passive boxes and 2 monopole subs below the dipoles.

DavidMcRoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yes, I was running 7 Maggies and dual subs for years. Honestly, my 1.6QRs and center channel Maggie were getting long in the tooth having just turned 20. They still performed well, except that the bass panel on one unit could occasionally buzz on the odd heavy bass note. I knew they all needed some factory TLC or outright replacement, and when I came across a few impressive reviews of the JBL 3 Series, I decided to dip my toe. To reiterate, I bought seven 1st generation JBL LSR 305s because of their neutrality vs. the MkII version. I was shocked at how far conventional driver technology has come, hearing something new and highly regarded in my home system that wasn’t a Magnepan (or a Quad ESL57, my other obsession) for the first time in two decades. (I’m also sensitive to time-alignment, so there’s that.) The main thing that has long attracted me to the best planar speakers has been their ultra-low distortion. The spatial presentation of planars is unarguably seductive, but ultimately their dipole radiation invites tons of comb filtering-induced coloration and room echo, no matter how you place them. For that reason, I’ve always resorted to careful acoustic ”props” to deal with the rear reflections, with a limited degree of success. Now I’m in hog heaven since the JBLs just sort of “want to” sound neutral pretty much anywhere you place them. I can even walk down the hall and into the bathroom without hearing a dramatic shift in spectral balance. Naturally I have my septet of 1st generation LSR305s laser-aligned in my media room for distance and angle...to the millimeter, and I’ve retained my room treatment, which is helpful regardless of the speakers involved. Stereo imaging is as good as anything I’ve ever encountered anywhere, but the sense of ”bigness” for lack of a better word doesn’t match big planars. For me, that trade off is worth it, though: what I lost in “image size” is offset by more pinpoint focus, which is entertaining in it’s own right. My latest kick over the past few weeks has been deploying multiple subs (5 in my case, so it’s a 7.5 system now) and tweaking them for level, timing, phase and global EQ for the smoothest, most coherent bass response I can achieve. Take a look at the work of Floyd E. Toole, et. al. for the lowdown on all that. I’m using the excellent Dayton Audio DSP-408 and the results have been pretty spectacular.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

TimVG

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
LW EQ file + Predicted In-Room response curve. Not exactly the gradual declining slope, but very normal since it is a constant directivity design.

jbl305.PNG

INR.PNG

Jon AA

Forum Donor
Not exactly the gradual declining slope, but very normal since it is a constant directivity design.
Yes, that makes for a good example of how directivity affects the in-room curve. Above the transition frequency, it's pretty much a mirror image of the directivity index when the on-axis/LW is corrected flat anechoically.

Pio2001

TimVG

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Pio2001

It's a bit different but I don't see how it's more accurate on a 20dB scale?

We must have based our respective corrections from two different sources. My reference is Amir's spinorama diagram in the first message of this thread. I setup my correction curve until a screen capture of it (upside down) matches exactly Amir's curve.

TimVG

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We must have based our respective corrections from two different sources. My reference is Amir's spinorama diagram in the first message of this thread. I setup my correction curve until a screen capture of it (upside down) matches exactly Amir's curve.

I imported Amir's measurement file in REW. They are uploaded somewhere on ASR.

Pio2001

The difference between our graphs look exactly like a microphone calibration curve. An extra microphone calibration has probably crept somewhere in the process.

TimVG

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There was no microphone involved on my end. I inserted Amir's files - added the filters in REW. I don't own a 305p.

ranai

Hello everyone
I've purchased the 305 mk2 speakers on this reviews recommendations.
Currently they're fed from my PCs onboard soundcard but I've ordered a DX7 pro that will be a dac and headphone amp for my HD650.
Until my stands arrived i used them on my pc desk and was really happy by the sound they produced, they lacked bass and I was fine with that.
Now my stands arrived, I filled them with sand got them away from the wall as much as I could and they're horribly V shaped, it's all bass and highs.
I'm trying to correct that as much as I can but I don't have a fancy mesurament mic, all I have is a chinese "finfine" USB mic.
Don't know if I should wait for the DX7 pro and then play with the sound and positioning or do it now.
Any help would be great.

I've been lurking for long and I'm really thankful for such a great community of enthusiasts !

P.S. keeping these things clean is such a hassle...

p.p.s. Ignore the crappy RCA cable right now, i've made some XLR cables for when the DAC arrives...

Attachments

• IMG_20200312_105606.jpg
    IMG_20200312_105606.jpg
    505 KB · Views: 237

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello everyone
I've purchased the 305 mk2 speakers on this reviews recommendations.
Currently they're fed from my PCs onboard soundcard but I've ordered a DX7 pro that will be a dac and headphone amp for my HD650.
Until my stands arrived i used them on my pc desk and was really happy by the sound they produced, they lacked bass and I was fine with that.
Now my stands arrived, I filled them with sand got them away from the wall as much as I could and they're horribly V shaped, it's all bass and highs.
I'm trying to correct that as much as I can but I don't have a fancy mesurament mic, all I have is a chinese "finfine" USB mic.
Don't know if I should wait for the DX7 pro and then play with the sound and positioning or do it now.
Any help would be great.

I've been lurking for long and I'm really thankful for such a great community of enthusiasts !

P.S. keeping these things clean is such a hassle...

p.p.s. Ignore the crappy RCA cable right now, i've made some XLR cables for when the DAC arrives...
Are you placing them in the corners like in the picture? That will make the bass sound boomy and exaggerated. What are your room dimensions? Can you draw a diagram of the room and show where you placed the speakers?

ranai

Never knew such small speakers could be so boomy, it's fun and annoying at the same time

I've now pushed them as much as I could to the wall and it got a bit better
I'll think about DIY-ing some bass traps for the one in the corner.

I'm aroud 2.5m from them

The left speaker is 44 cm from the side wall and 8.5 cm from the wall
The right speaker is cca 190 cm from the left speaker and also 8.5 cm from the wall.
The room is 2.7 wide and 5m long

can't justify buying a measurement mic right now because I work as a lighting designer and corona canceled a bunch of work so money will be tight...

Attachments

• IMG_20200312_155348.jpg
    IMG_20200312_155348.jpg
    331.4 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_20200312_155416.jpg
    IMG_20200312_155416.jpg
    347.4 KB · Views: 243

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Never knew such small speakers could be so boomy, it's fun and annoying at the same time

I'll think about DIY-ing some bass traps for the one in the corner.

I'm aroud 2.5m from them

The left speaker is 44 cm from the side wall and 8.5 cm from the wall
The right speaker is cca 190 cm from the left speaker and also 8.5 cm from the wall.
The room is 2.7 wide and 5m long

can't justify buying a measurement mic right now because I work as a lighting designer and corona canceled a bunch of work so money will be tight...
Those appear to be situated along the longer wall and towards the corners. If you can bring them together and out of the corners they should sound less boomy/bassy and I see you have a bed there but the shorter wall is usually preferable for the speakers for better sound usually. Do you have a EQ?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

I would echo @Doodski here, and suggest even if just for a reality check, to pull them away from any wall, like in the middle of a big room in a 5' triangle, and see what that sounds like with fewer wall related issues.

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
Top Bottom