• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL 305P MkII, $109 each

Old Listener

Third harmonic. The sound is more artificial, less natural, more detailed too. Hearing fatigue.

If you listen to superprocessed music in the studio ... but if you want to enjoy excellent recordings with acoustic instrumentation it is better to avoid the predominant H3 profile.

Which is better?

H2 @ -20 dB, H3 @ - 30 dB

or

H2 @ -50 dB, H3 @ - 40 dB

Quantity matters.

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Third harmonic. The sound is more artificial, less natural, more detailed too. Hearing fatigue.
Thanks, I thought it was heavy hydrogen.

Juhazi

Major Contributor
H3 peaks are often mechanical resonances, which are typical for these cheap lightweight actives. I fixed my LSR305 with an added brace between vertical side panels. This is the fixed version's distortion plot. I didn't save the original, but it ringed and peaked at 250Hz (panel resonance)
lsr305f disto 96db 1m.jpg

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Me want cookies!

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I saw those measurements before; I found this document:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/...RfmdIzx6vDRPjzfbCg/mobilebasic#h.w4gf4uczr44h

The pricing you mentioned appears to be common with many other retailers including zzounds and amazon. From those measurements, it seems like reducing tweeter level by 1-2db would probably result in the most linear response.

Nevertheless these are good measurements for a speaker without DSP correction.
Hi,
Did you set the jumper to reduce tweeter output, at the end of the day?

Top Bottom