• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Jazz ♫ Music only | In the now, or recently, or that you love...

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Last edited:

Chuckv

Forum Donor
For my money, the best jazz today is coming out of Europe. The US seems stuck in a time warp and wedded to the old doyens.
whoa there big fella. Jazz has grown to encompass very good jazz from Europe. The very best jazz though? Is that a challenge? You did say “seem” so I cooled my jets. I wanna know for sure though so I’m asking. Before I drop 30 killer joints in this thread out of sheer spite just want to confirm the time this takes is warranted. I sincerely hope you are either ill informed or new to the genre.

Asylum Seeker

I've scoured Spotify for jazz the last few months. Really have not found much to my liking coming out of the States. UK, for example, is more my thing...Tony Burkill, Matthew Halsal, John Law...So, yeah, cool those jets...

Chuckv

Forum Donor
Ok. Jets cooled. Personal bias accepted. To say U.S. Jazz seems stuck is almost certainly a challenge though my man. If you know anything about jazz culture, it was almost BUILT on challenge; from its infancy. Thank you for treading carefully. This ain’t pop culture here. Here’s a peace offering just so you know I ain’t just blowin smoke.
One truth in life. Never challenge a real jazz man. You will get eaten.

Chuckv

Forum Donor
Gotta hit the hay but let's just drop a crescent city staple less we forget how strong the U.S. jazz scene is. From the cradle of jazz itself nonetheless. Swing for the fence. Always. Asylum got me all riled up. Thanks for that. I needed a push tonight.

Asylum Seeker

Ok. Jets cooled. Personal bias accepted. To say U.S. Jazz seems stuck is almost certainly a challenge though my man. If you know anything about jazz culture, it was almost BUILT on challenge; from its infancy. Thank you for treading carefully. This ain’t pop culture here. Here’s a peace offering just so you know I ain’t just blowin smoke.
One truth in life. Never challenge a real jazz man. You will get eaten.
Will take a listen, thanks...

DarrylG

Addicted to Fun and Learning
That, is a Jazz music subject we can deeply elaborate about ... but overall on the surface ECM has a philosophy on the artist musicians they record.
And there are certainly various styles from these musicians; from their inner influences, and also from different generations and over the years...fifty.

I'd consider myself well versed with the ECM music record label and some of their artist players. I said "well", not expert. ... Enough to know their sound and style as one of the very top best in the world...to my ears and chords.
Definitely. I wasn't commenting on the quality of the music.

Chuckv

Forum Donor
Wow. The U.S. jazz scene seems stuck. Woke up with that in my head. Couldn’t find the actual LP version on YT but you get the drift. Definitely stuck.

Chuckv

Forum Donor
U.S. jazz scene seems stuck???? Maybe its my Chicago roots or my 15 years in New York. Asylum I get you from a different culture and all that. The more I think about it though, there is an air of disrespect in that statement to the purest form of musical "never stuck" that I have encountered in the few 50 years of life. And the place where it all started??? Dude you done fell and bumped your little head. We bleed jazz up in here son.

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Gotta hit the hay but let's just drop a crescent city staple less we forget how strong the U.S. jazz scene is. From the cradle of jazz itself nonetheless. Swing for the fence. Always. Asylum got me all riled up. Thanks for that. I needed a push tonight.

Ya man

Top Bottom