• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Jazz ♫ Music only | In the now, or recently, or that you love...

MoreWatts

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
From AllAboutJazz.com: "Troy Roberts is a two-time Grammy nominee who is becoming one of the most broadly recorded saxophonists of his time. As a leader, Roberts has 14 albums in his discography, including this 2022 recording, NU-JIVE: Nations United, which features long-time friends who formed this band in 2009. The band's fourth release focuses on the sounds representing the ... 'universality' of music—a reflection of the fact that the members came from all corners of the globe and bonded through the language of music.... Roberts is adept at playing and composing in many styles, and his approach is imbued with combustion and dexterity. The ensemble work together to create an expressive and brilliant ambiance... His compositions speak to his creativity and, in the hands of his band of compadres, NU-JIVE, the music is permeated with plenty of modernity and groove-based delectable treats."

The band plays in the studio for the album's official video (of course, they picked a long tune), and then Troy plays a nice Stanley Turrentine tune, with some other folks, in the 2nd video. YouTube and Spotify links to the new album follow. Please enjoy another really nice, new, saxophone jazz album. :cool:

roberts.png

Troy Roberts, "Nu-Jive: Nations United," full album: YouTube link. Spotify link.

Last edited:
Reactions: 001

MoreWatts

Forum Donor
From AllAboutJazz.com: "Artistic cooperation and cohesion are evident from the first notes of The Relay's eponymous 2022 debut. Referencing a collective chemistry in both sound and name, the engaging opener sets the stage for a program that's pure magic. The eight songs that follow further demonstrate the simpatico relationships which are central to this outfit... Pianist Michael Eckroth's glistening solos stand in contrast to saxophonist Dan Pratt's heated blowing, and all four parties punch and punctuate as a single entity... While this is only the beginning for this band, it's clearly the start of something big. Sparks fly on this first flight and there's little doubt that they'll yield fire in The Relay's future."

The video below is from a concert, with a link to a YouTube playlist of more vids from this show, if you :). YouTube and Spotify links to the new album follow. It's a shame there's just no good, new, jazz these days... :facepalm: :cool:

The Relay, Live in Ohio, YouTube video playlist.

therelay.png

The Relay, The Relay, full album: YouTube link. Spotify link.

Last edited:

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
From AllAboutJazz.com: "On his fourth album for Cellar Music, western Canada-based tenor saxophonist Steve Kaldestad leads an exemplary quartet, whose members are among the most accomplished jazz musicians in British Columbia and beyond, throughout a more than hour-long concert on Live at Frankie's Jazz Club in Vancouver.... Kaldestad appreciates that, and takes full advantage of the wide comfort zone they provide. His phrasing is sure, his creative power strong, his solos models of invention and dexterity. That is no less true of his teammates who not only comp with sagacity and stamina but add unfaltering solo voices whenever Kaldestad pauses to catch his breath and prepare for the next sortie.... The sound quality is so clean that it's the next best thing to actually being there. A well-drawn and solidly impressive concert performance. "

The first video is Kaldestad playing in the bass player's band in a zoom show. The second is his band playing in the Cellar Jazz Club, owned at the time by saxophonist Cory Weeds, who was referenced above. A longer tune, but hey, it's jazz. This is another really nice saxophone-jazz album from 2022. Please enjoy. :cool:

View attachment 261441

Steve Kaldestad, "Live At Frankie's Jazz Club," full album: YouTube link. Spotify link.
Thanks for reminding me about Cory Weeds

Jbrunwa

Although an old album, its new to me. I understand this was among the earliest digitally recorded/released jazz albums, I’m told nearly all recorded live. I’m impressed by the dynamic range of the recording, and the miking of the instruments seems to put me right in the recording studio.

BEED2342-B81F-4DFA-9F5D-E7CC2531C8E6.jpeg

Repdetect

Forum Donor

MoreWatts

Forum Donor
Country/folk/Americana/singer/songwriter/recluse/superstar Shelby Lynne sings jazz on a 2022 album, Dreamtime, by the band The Sunset Sound. Apparently a big band, 3 jazz albums have been released by this artist (YouTube) (Spotify) since 2011, and that is all I can find. The album is really an EP, 7 songs at 24 minutes. Which makes each minute extra special, as this lady can really sing. I couldn't find any vids of Shelby doin' jazz, so the video is a slow blues from a recent album. Also, see my post here, where Shelby covers John Lennon live, with links to her 2021 album The Servant. Please enjoy Shelby doin' blues in the video, and then please try the jazz album. YouTube and Spotify links to the full album follow. :cool:

dreamtime.jpg

The Sunset Sound, Dreamtime (featuring Shelby Lynne), full album: YouTube link. Spotify link.

Last edited:

mglobe

Forum Donor
So happy to see Pat Martino popping up several times in this thread. I first heard his Strings album on a buddy’s system sometime in the early 70’s, and spent an absurd time searching cut-out bins (remember those) for anything by him. Finally scored a copy of The Visit, and still have the record in very good condition.

I took my daughters to see him at Birdland once. They were mostly interested in seeing Joe Pesci at the table next to us (“It’s my cousin Vinnie!”). The experience stuck with them and helped both of them develop wonderful and diverse tastes in music. One of my better moments in parenting.

MoreWatts

Forum Donor
From AllAboutJazz.com: Tenor saxophonist "Jordan Vanhemert releases Nomad, to explore and embrace his Asian American identity. As the liner note says, this album is a celebration of Korean culture 'through the melodies of both ancient & contemporary folk & children's songs, distilled through a modern jazz aesthetic.' Jordan said, 'Every musician involved in the session contributed their best sound and the improvisation in the moment led to some truly beautiful places.' Meditative, VanHemert's solos evoke a sense of nostalgia. In search of 'home' through the blending of his favorites traditions, VanHemert contributes with Nomad to further expansion of the stylistic borders of jazz."

The first video is a tune from the album, and the second a new tune, live in the studio. This is his 2nd album release. YouTube and Spotify links to the full album follow. Please enjoy another modern jazz release from last year. :cool:

nomad.png

Jordan Vanhemert, Nomad, full album: YouTube link. Spotify link.

Last edited:

MoreWatts

Forum Donor
From AllAboutJazz.com: "Talk about remarkable origins; the music on Tiyo's Songs of Life, performed by tenor saxophonist Felipe Salles' quartet, was written by Tiyo Attallah Salah-El while he was serving a life sentence without the possibility of parole in a Pennsylvania prison....The quartet is splendid, but no more so than Salah-El's picturesque themes.... The Brazilian-born Salles is a clever and charming soloist, as is pianist Zaccai Curtis, while bassist Avery Sharpe and drummer Jonathan Barber leave no rhythmic stone unturned... lending the session an extra measure of passion....If there is a lesson to be learned from Tiyo's Songs of Life it is that good music respects no boundaries and can spring forth from the most unlikely sources."

This 2022 album is his ~9th release since 2004. Felipe was an in-demand player in Brazil, before relocation to NYC. The video is a nice live tune by Felipe's quintet from 2014, and YouTube and Spotify links to the full album follow. Despite the dour source, this is not gallows jazz, and is a solid, straight-ahead jazz album. Please enjoy as Felipe plays Tiyo. :cool:

tiyo2.jpg

Felipe Salles, Tiyo's Songs of Life, full album: YouTube link. Spotify link.

Top Bottom