• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Japanese audiophiles

Slayer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Unlike many other hobbies involved in just collecting poo-ooops sorry should i say stuff, where all you get to do is look at something. At least this is a hobby where you and your friends and family can enjoy and music (not rap LOL) actually has health benefits.
As far as one's choice in gear, i will never downgrade someone for their choice of equipment being used. If it sounds good to them, in the long run, that's all that really counts.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last I knew, "crazy" wasn't a regional thing

Some things are cultural things. When the Japanese "latch onto" something, they don't stop, but will work VERY hard to improve it. This is why the cars and cameras are so good (nearly wiping out US car co.s and really giving the Germans a run). Some swords are considered national treasures.

I recently discovered Japanese ratchets and sockets to feed my car hobby - as good or better than any other brand in any country.

Then there is a long line of companies at various price points: Accuphase, yamaha, Sony, etc.

Plus... the food. They are smaller than france but have 3x the number of eateries listed in the French Guide Michelin (tho what I know of their cuisine seems less diverse than all the regions of France put together).

HiFidFan

Forum Donor
Some things are cultural things. When the Japanese "latch onto" something, they don't stop, but will work VERY hard to improve it. This is why the cars and cameras are so good (nearly wiping out US car co.s and really giving the Germans a run). Some swords are considered national treasures.

I recently discovered Japanese ratchets and sockets to feed my car hobby - as good or better than any other brand in any country.

Then there is a long line of companies at various price points: Accuphase, yamaha, Sony, etc.

Plus... the food. They are smaller than france but have 3x the number of eateries listed in the French Guide Michelin (tho what I know of their cuisine seems less diverse than all the regions of France put together).

I hear ya. Gardens, architecture, food, aquaculture, on and on. . . Much to admire in their culture.

I discovered Ko-ken tools many years ago, then never looked back. I've replaced most of my U.S.A. hand tools with Ko-Ken, KTC, Vessel, etc.
The value is incredible. Snap-on seems almost rudimentary in comparison :eek:

Over the top? Check out Nepros. More like jewelry than tools. And their limited edition Urushi ratchets, Holy Cow!

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I worked as a "Assembler" for years in a manufacturing setting. We took bare trucks with flanges showing and made water well and oil drilling rigs out of them. We all went through a lot of metal working tools. The bottom line after we where done after years is that Snap-On and Mac where the toughest. I tried the Japanese and French tools but at the end of years of doing it the USA and Canadian tools where the toughest and the rebuildable ones. I had tools that worked nicer and where more snazzy and cute but the American stuff was the best.

HiFidFan

Forum Donor
I worked as a "Assembler" for years in a manufacturing setting. We took bare trucks with flanges showing and made water well and oil drilling rigs out of them. We all went through a lot of metal working tools. The bottom line after we where done after years is that Snap-On and Mac where the toughest. I tried the Japanese and French tools but at the end of years of doing it the USA and Canadian tools where the toughest and the rebuildable ones. I had tools that worked nicer and where more snazzy and cute but the American stuff was the best.

Marantz or Onkyo? Hard to go wrong.

That said, I used some Japanese tools back in to 70's/80's that were really, err, not good. Fast forward to today and it's a much different story.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Marantz or Onkyo? Hard to go wrong.

That said, I used some Japanese tools back in to 70's/80's that were really, err, not good. Fast forward to today and it's a much different story.
I was doing this in the 2004+ range of time. I went through Jet tools like nothing and the high end domestic hardware stuff was lamely chrome plated garbage. I had some SK Fathom France stuff that was pretty sweet for electrical assembly work but when it comes down to stainless steel metal work and T2-3-4 one needs the best of the best and Snap-On and Mac proved to be the longest lasting, most durable and rebuildable tools. It cost and they sometimes seems counterintuitive but they know.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
JBL far field monitors and big horns will never not be cool.

HiFidFan

Forum Donor
I was doing this in the 2004+ range of time. I went through Jet tools like nothing and the high end domestic hardware stuff was lamely chrome plated garbage. I had some SK Fathom France stuff that was pretty sweet for electrical assembly work but when it comes down to stainless steel metal work and T2-3-4 one needs the best of the best and Snap-On and Mac proved to be the longest lasting, most durable and rebuildable tools. It cost and they sometimes seems counterintuitive but they know.

I think JET is just an importer, they build to a price point.

Yeah, SK at one time owned Facom, it wasn't their best days (for either of them). I have some Facom (France) ratchets and sockets from the early 2000's timeframe, they're pretty nice if I'm honest. Their Palm Control ratchets are very nice.

Anyway, i'm glad we have choices. A lot more than only 15-20 years ago.

Edit: Perhaps I was unfair to JET Tools, they make some good stuff, they make some junk too. My personal experience hasn't been that great.

Last edited:
Top Bottom