• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Jamo S807 Floorstanding Speakers Review

lanion

They are now owned by Klipsch. I wonder how that has influenced them.

I have 3 of the Jamo C10 speakers from right before they were bought by Klipsch. I’ll try to post some measurements.

they don’t sound amazing, but they are not awful.

Nango

Major Contributor
Taken from Ken Rockwell's site:

"Obviously there is plenty of sensitivity for use with good dedicated amplifiers. This is never a problem with any legitimate (not made-in-China) headphone amplifier.

If you ever need to paraphrase "legitimate" just say like "not made-in-China" ..... Great Ken !!!

Honken

Thanks for this test/review! I was seriously considering buying these without hearing them first due to their attractive price (locally). I no longer have to guess if I made the right or wrong choice in skipping these.

Beave

Major Contributor
I have 3 of the Jamo C10 speakers from right before they were bought by Klipsch. I’ll try to post some measurements.

they don’t sound amazing, but they are not awful.

I owned a Jamo C10 for a short while. It too had exaggerated midbass and significantly elevated treble.

Also, I'm pretty sure that series came out after Klipsch bought Jamo, not before. There's a Youtube video showing a Klipsch engineer working on them.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
It's just so disappointing that yet another "buyout" has wrecked another pioneering HiFi company.

I was proud to sell Jamo back in the day. They were beautifully constructed and finished, their performance was stellar and their styling left all other speaker brands in the weeds. Not only that, even after being freighted all the way to Australia, and having importer's and retailer's margins on them, they were still reasonable in price. Not remotely cheap, but reasonable.

lanion

I owned a Jamo C10 for a short while. It too had exaggerated midbass and significantly elevated treble.

Also, I'm pretty sure that series came out after Klipsch bought Jamo, not before. There's a Youtube video showing a Klipsch engineer working on them.

Oh, ok, I stand corrected. They do look nice!

Beave

Major Contributor
Yeah, the build quality on the Jamo C10, C103, etc, is/was very nice.

Ericglo

@hardisj . It seems these Jamos are a mess. Considering I sold and use Jamos from the days when they were the largest speaker manufacturer in the world, it is most disappointing.

Do you have any reference for this? What time frame?

I don't recall Jamo being the biggest in the US, but I am only 51 years old. It might have been before my time.

Ericglo

I don't know if you read my review (it's a bit wordy) but if you did I'm sure you saw my rant at the beginning regarding this matter. I saw sites and reviewers giving this speaker 4+ stars. If nothing else, now I know who not to trust. ;)

I did read the review and rant. I don't watch that many youtube videos. I was unaware that people were using reviews to make money. As someone once told me "You have to review the reviewer."

ta240

Major Contributor
I did read the review and rant. I don't watch that many youtube videos. I was unaware that people were using reviews to make money. As someone once told me "You have to review the reviewer."

A lot of them are more infomercial than review. The key is if you finish the video thinking "that is amazing, I really need one of those" it was an infomercial.

Beave

Major Contributor
Do you have any reference for this? What time frame?

I don't recall Jamo being the biggest in the US, but I am only 51 years old. It might have been before my time.

I don't think they were ever biggest in the US, or even close. But he said 'biggest worldwide,' not 'biggest in the US.' I have no idea whether or not that's true, but I have read somewhere that they were much bigger overseas (Europe & Asia) than they ever were in the US.

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I don't think they were ever biggest in the US, or even close. But he said 'biggest worldwide,' not 'biggest in the US.' I have no idea whether or not that's true, but I have read somewhere that they were much bigger overseas (Europe & Asia) than they ever were in the US.

By 1990, Jamo had shipped 7 million loudspeakers and were producing over 3000 per day. They had a 20,000m2 factory in Glygore Denmark.
By 1998, Jamo had been in business for 30 years and were still producing over 1 million loudspeakers per year and exported to over 80 countries. They were then by far the largest speaker manufacturer in Europe and were extremely successful all over the world.

These numbers are not just plucked out of the air like so many things you see on the internet. I still have original brochures, catalogues, prices lists, reviews and dealer information from my time selling them.

1593143079077.jpeg

Let's see some actual US numbers- who would come close back in the day or even now?

Last edited:

Beave

Major Contributor
^Did you intend to quote post #50? I'm not sure why you quoted me.

Ericglo

I realize that the said worldwide. I didn't remember hearing much about them in the US and wondered why if they were possibly the biggest in the world.

Ericglo

By 1990, Jamo had shipped 7 million loudspeakers and were producing over 3000 per day. They had a 20,000m2 factory in Glygore Denmark.
By 1998, Jamo had been in business for 30 years and were still producing over 1 million loudspeakers per year and exported to over 80 countries. They were then by far the largest speaker manufacturer in Europe and were extremely successful all over the world.

These numbers are not just plucked out of the air like so many things you see on the internet. I still have original brochures, catalogues, prices lists, reviews and dealer information from my time selling them.

Let's see some actual US numbers- who would come close back in the day or even now?

I couldn't find any numbers, but I didn't look that hard. Right off the top of my head I would say Bose.

I did find on Wiki that Jamo had produced 11.5 million units as of 1998. Based on your numbers, that is only 4.5 million since 1990.

koyvk

We really need actual center for voice job right? They handle 90% of voices. Whats the perpose of watching movie with just 2 speakers?

dealpapa

Jamo Speakers: Pair S 809 + S 83 Center + Pair S 803 Bookshelves
$399

anybody testing s809 or s 803. They are so cheap.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As always Erin, excellent review.
Thanks for your effort to continue to set the standard for complete, unbiased and (attempts at) accuracy in your reviews.
Each review seems to raise the bar a bit more for every other reviewer

Top Bottom