• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Jamo S807 Floorstanding Speakers Review

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
I ordered this speaker last week in hopes that it would be a diamond in the rough and that if it were, people might be interested enough to buy it through my Amazon affiliate link and I could use that money to get some real cool speakers to test. Well, that isn't gonna happen.

My ears told me these were terrible. My measurements (made after listening) confirmed it. You can read my review in the link below:
https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/loudspeakers/jamo_s807/

DSC06150.JPG

Some highlights (or lowlights, really):

Jamo%20S807%20FR_Linearity.png

Jamo%20S807_360_Horizontal_Polar_Normalized.png

Jamo%20S807_360_Vertical_Polar_Normalized.png

Jamo%20S807_SPIN.png

Jamo%20S807_Early_Reflections_Breakout.png

Jamo%20S807_harmonicDistortion_linear_zoom.png

Jamo%20S807_Compression_Normalized.png

Jamo%20S807%20Nearfield.png

Jamo%20S807_Measured_vs_Predicted.png

Last edited:

A800

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just looking at the measurements already hurts my ears.

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow. Thanks for the fantastic review. I had requested the bookshelf of these a long time ago and never heard back.... Now I'm kind of glad :D

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Just needs a bit of EQ, like maybe -10 db from 500 hz sloping downward to 20 khz. And maybe 7 or 8 db sloping upward from 80 hz to 500 hz. Apply that to it and let us know how it sounds. It could be massaged into solidly mediocre sound I think.

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Haven't seen a lot of Jamo measurements around and always been curious how they perform. Thanks for the review, very thorough! Btw liking the FR linearity guidelines.

Beave

Major Contributor
Haven't seen a lot of Jamo measurements around and always been curious how they perform. Thanks for the review, very thorough! Btw liking the FR linearity guidelines.

They've made some pretty good speakers over the years - and some not so good speakers. These, apparently, fall into the latter category.

QMuse

Major Contributor
If it makes you feel better, they sound as bad as they look. :D

:(

Thank you for a very nice report!

Btw, would you care to re-measure and listen to them once EQ-ed? Their ER-DI doesn't look too bad..

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
@hardisj . It seems these Jamos are a mess. Considering I sold and use Jamos from the days when they were the largest speaker manufacturer in the world, it is most disappointing.

I applaud your effort in testing, however the musical selection is somewhat skewed to a bandwidth limited 80s repertoire. Much as I regard "these dreams" as Heart's best track ever (I loved it in 1986 and still do), it's a putrid sounding recording. I think you're miring yourself in mediocre recordings.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
They are now owned by Klipsch. I wonder how that has influenced them.

Basically, Jamo, the brand that was started in a chook shed and grew to become the largest and finest speaker manufacturer in the world is no more. I thank my lucky stars I saw them at their finest. I even have a few of their gems in my collection. I remember hearing the Concert V and Concert VII speakers and it was clear, they were in a whole other league. My 507a and 707i are to this day, a speaker you can put on your bucket list. The 507a sit in my lounge room now, just recently retrieved from nearly 16 years in storage.

Jamo now is just another badge owned by a private equity or other disinterested and soul-less entity. Klipsch.

Like JBL, Infinity, Sansui, Pioneer, Wharfedale, Quad, Mirage, Energy, Bowers and Wilkins, Mission, Marantz, Denon, Onkyo etc. The names mean nothing anymore. I have a drawer full of badges, pulled off gear- that's how it feels these days with a lot of HiFi- just stick on a badge and call it done.

DALI is perhaps one of the few pure, large scale speaker manufacturers, unless they too, have fallen victim to the corporate buy outs.

Top Bottom