• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

James Webb, World's Largest Space Telescope Ready for Launch in 2018

D

Deleted member 23424

Hope they've got one of those USB Signal Cleaner devices for when it passes through the J(up)iter zone.

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Tonight Webb will reach it final L2 position. Let see if Webb thruster(s) will come in operation.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
A nice concise overview of how the mirrors were made on the James Webb telescope.

JSmith

Master Contributor
JWST continues to amaze;
NASA's James Webb Space Telescope has detected the most distant active supermassive black hole in the universe to date.

The black hole is in a galaxy called CEERS 1019.

It's a pretty big deal, but the US space agency says it might only hold the title for a few weeks.

JSmith

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A true 'marriage made in the heavens': JWST + Euclid.
Unfortunately, this matrimony may only last around a decade at most.:(
Watch how these 2 space telescopes complement each other at this yt link.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

JSmith

Master Contributor

Webb_captures_a_cosmic_Whirlpool_pillars.jpg

The graceful winding arms of the grand-design spiral galaxy M51 stretch across this image from the NASA/ESA/CSA James Webb Space Telescope. Unlike the menagerie of weird and wonderful spiral galaxies with ragged or disrupted spiral arms, grand-design spiral galaxies boast prominent, well-developed spiral arms like the ones showcased in this image. This galactic portrait is a composite image that integrates data from Webb’s Near-InfraRed Camera (NIRCam) and the innovative Mid-InfraRed Instrument (MIRI), half of which was contributed by Europe.

JSmith

JSmith

Master Contributor
A new investigation with NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope into K2-18 b, an exoplanet 8.6 times as massive as Earth, has revealed the presence of carbon-bearing molecules including methane and carbon dioxide. Webb’s discovery adds to recent studies suggesting that K2-18 b could be a Hycean exoplanet, one which has the potential to possess a hydrogen-rich atmosphere and a water ocean-covered surface.

The first insight into the atmospheric properties of this habitable-zone exoplanet came from observations with NASA’s Hubble Space Telescope, which prompted further studies that have since changed our understanding of the system.

K2-18 b orbits the cool dwarf star K2-18 in the habitable zone and lies 120 light-years from Earth in the constellation Leo. Exoplanets such as K2-18 b, which have sizes between those of Earth and Neptune, are unlike anything in our solar system. This lack of equivalent nearby planets means that these ‘sub-Neptunes’ are poorly understood, and the nature of their atmospheres is a matter of active debate among astronomers.

The suggestion that the sub-Neptune K2-18 b could be a Hycean exoplanet is intriguing, as some astronomers believe that these worlds are promising environments to search for evidence for life on exoplanets.

stsci-01h9rf3tqe6xa9x01kxxj351z6.png

JSmith

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Okay, like, I have really tried all these decades but I am soooo jv when it comes to trying to identify stellar objects. Totally clooless!
I still have the Audubon Society' Field Guide to the Night Sky (pre-PC years), and I still have a few 'Phillips Planispheres'.:facepalm:
I've tried more than a few software offered for PCs for stargazing; including StarryNight, Stellarium, etc.
For the past few years, I have been using a FREEware called AAS WorldWideTelescope (their website is informative).
202310_PleiadesM45.jpg

This is a screen capture (zoomable) of Pleiades (M45, aka Seven[-1] Sisters).
I am waiting for JWST to provide me the fully navigable version of this open cluster (in Taurus), so that I can finally visualize the star that I want my dust to be spread on. :rolleyes:
imo: I find it absolutely hilarious that there are actual apps for stargazing on phones, they are like those tin-cups inside TVs used for audio.:confused:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Pandora Cluster (NIRCam Image) :: Astronomers found the most distant black hole ever detected in X-rays (in a galaxy dubbed UHZ1) using the Chandra and Webb space telescopes. X-ray emission is a telltale signature of a growing supermassive black hole.
From < https://flic.kr/p/2pedBs2 >
202311_JWST-BlkHole.jpg

I had thought that there were a few dead-pixels on my monitor...:facepalm:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I had to read this topic a few times to wrap my pea-brain around the concepts put forth [ymmv]:

Cosmic Choreography: Unraveling the 6-Planet Resonance Mystery​

While multi-planet systems are common in our galaxy, those in a tight gravitational formation known as “resonance” are observed by astronomers far less often. In this case, the planet closest to the star makes three orbits for every two of the next planet out – called a 3/2 resonance – a pattern that is repeated among the four closest planets... link

202312_6PlanetsInResonance.jpg

I think that another article I had read claimed that the inner three planets were in 1:2 resonance (not the "3/2" above).
No matter! :oops:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I had to read this topic a few times to wrap my pea-brain around the concepts put forth [ymmv]:

View attachment 331238

I think that another article I had read claimed that the inner three planets were in 1:2 resonance (not the "3/2" above).
No matter! :oops:
Man, I had this whipped in grade school. Learned it just using my Spyrograph. Even had better colors. Doubles for learning how sun gears in automatic transmissions work too. :cool:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Man, I had this whipped in grade school. Learned it just using my Spyrograph. Even had better colors.
Viewing the color renderings -of the graphics - of outer-space matter/events always makes me first ask "SEZ WHO?", when I view them.:oops:
"Color" is like the equivalent of some [you pick which: S/N or THD, or wutevr] parameter that is measured, which we never have to ask "SEZ WHO?" about.
How do they determine which color is which thingy planet?
Why is the outer one orange, yet the most inner one is purple/violet?
Is there a 'standard' [as there are for: S/N or THD, or wutevr] for such "colored" images/presentations... and SEZ WHO?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Viewing the color renderings -of the graphics - of outer-space matter/events always makes me first ask "SEZ WHO?", when I view them.:oops:
"Color" is like the equivalent of some [you pick which: S/N or THD, or wutevr] parameter that is measured, which we never have to ask "SEZ WHO?" about.
How do they determine which color is which thingy planet?
Why is the outer one orange, yet the most inner one is purple/violet?
Is there a 'standard' [as there are for: S/N or THD, or wutevr] for such "colored" images/presentations... and SEZ WHO?
Whereas I just think.....:

"Hmm - pretty"

:cool:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My previous link for further reading is just rubbish.
Here is the low-down in more 'down-to-earth' language:
"New Six-Planet Star System Offers Clues About Our Own - Worlds that orbit sun-like host can shed light on how they formed, evolved. [by Aylin Woodward]
A family of six gaseous worlds circling like rhythmic dervishes around a sun-like star will soon help astronomers better understand how planetary systems like our own formed and evolved.
This newly discovered system, about 100 light-years from Earth, is unusual because its planets orbit a bright host star in a pattern that appears unchanged since its birth at least four billion years ago, according to a study published on Wednesday in the journal Nature.
“It offers an opportunity to study an early stage of a planetary system’s orbital architecture,” said Tansu Daylan, an assistant professor of physics at Washington University in St. Louis, who wasn’t involved in the new research.
In 2020, scientists observed some of this bright star’s light dimmed every so often—suggesting one or more orbiting exoplanets were passing in front of it, a term known as transiting. The star was monitored by a National Aeronautics and Space Administration space telescope known as TESS.
Exoplanets, the name given to the more than 5,000 planets now discovered outside our solar system, come in myriad types. The most common in our galaxy are called “sub-Neptunes”—worlds that are larger than Earth but smaller than Neptune that scientists think likely have solid cores with gassy atmospheres.
Additional observations of the star, designated HD 110067, from TESS and a European Space Agency telescope named CHEOPS in 2022 not only confirmed the presence of six transiting sub-Neptunes, but also that these cosmic constituents exert gravitational influence on one another, orbiting in a pattern. Astronomers call this resonance—a configuration that is rarely preserved as a multiplanetary system evolves over time. The planets in our solar system, for instance, aren’t in resonance.
For every three rotations around HD 110067 completed by the innermost planet, the second-closest planet completes two, the study authors reported. The same pattern exists between the second and third and third and fourth planets, while a ratio of four-orbits to three-orbits exists between the fourth and fifth and fifth and sixth planets. [via wsj 2023/11/29]
I stand corrected.

danadam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
For this particular image, it says "An artist’s illustration of the six newly discovered planets", so I guess, the artist SEZ IT :)

Apparently there are some. From a thread on cloudynighst.com:
Just to expand a little on this for those who aren't sure what the standard palettes are, there are two palette/mixes in narrowband imaging that are more-or-less standards now: Hubble (SHO) that NASA tends to use, and CFHT (HOS) that the Canada, France, Hawaii Telescope team uses (hence it's name). The SHO palette tends to give (with a little tweaking) a blue-gold mix and the HOS palette gives more pinks-purples.

Top Bottom