• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I've owned speakers by.....

garyrc

Did you keep the Khorn? I have a pair myself, soon i will use them in the new house crazy dynamics, if I had a properly treated room they would put me on the ground
Yes, I'm using the Khorns now. Not perfect, but the best I ever heard, anywhere, once I was finished with the following:
  1. I treated the room (lightly) first, slowly, with lots of listening in between. Some absorption and lots of diffusion.
  2. Used Audyssey to iron out some wrinkles and kinks. I use Audyssey FLAT for most good recordings. Not perfectly flat, still, but sounds great, with those incredible dynamics. For a few harsh CDs, DVDs, Blu-rays, I switch over to Audyssey Reference, with its slight roll-off at the top ( -2dB @ 10K, - 6dB @20K). I hear the best Dirac (full range) is better at room correction, and, of course Trinnov, but it's way too expensive.
  3. Corner horns may require some special treatment, such as an approximately 2 foot x 4 foot absorber starting where a yardstick would hit each side wall if held flat against the front of the midrange/treble "top hat" of the Khorn and extending 2 feet farther into the room than that helps get rid of early midrange/treble reflections from the mid horn that are undesirable. I owe this tidbit to Chris A of the Klipsch Community Forum. See below.
    DSCN1835.JPG

4. Even if you have the new Khorns that have closed backs (but not sides!), regardless of what you might infer from advertisements, they still must be in corners, but can be toed in or out to aim right at you. Klipsch says you should be able to look straight down the mid/high horns from the listening position (use a flashlight, if need be). The older models need to be fairly sealed into the corners with pipe insulating tubes, or neoprene sheets (Google it).
  5. If you are building a room from scratch in the new house, have no two dimensions the same, and a high ceiling (at least 8 feet). If you can't have a ceiling that high, put an absorber on the ceiling where the sound from the tweeter will hit first.

Last edited:

Doenerkunde

In alphabetical order:
Arcus (AS3 and AS4; btw the company founder later developed what would become the Elac JET tweeter and also founded ADAM and later HEDD. Pretty impressive vita!)
Bonsai Akustik (Ideal SE, small defunct one man company, great speakers)
Elac (DBR62)
Harbeth (P3ESR SE)
Klipsch (RF 52 II)
Nubert (NuLook LS2, NuJubilee35, can´t wait to see a Nubert on the Klippel!)
Pilot (RS4, used the same great Seas H304 midrange dome that was used in the predecessor of the Neumann KH300)
Quadral (Merin)
Sonics by Joachim Gerhard (Argenta, regret selling these the most, will get another pair in the future)

More than I would have guessed and with 7/9 brands being german there seems to some kind of home bias at play.

MadMaxx

Energy
AV123
SVS
PSB
Polk
Infinity
Boston Acoustics
IK Multimedia
JBL
Definitive Technology
Klipsch
Fluance
Kanto
Elac
KEF
Swan
Adam Audio (I've found my end game desktop speakers)

Last edited:

MrGoodbits

Forum Donor
Realistic
Infinity
Marantz
Magnepan
Watkins
Infinity
Watkins
Paradigm
Paradigm

Dismayed

I bought my first Martin Logan ESL in about 1993. And I replaced that first pair with another Martin Logan speaker. I'm considering another upgrade soon, which will also be Martin Logan.

Daverz

Major Contributor
Boston Acoustics A40
Some little Creek bookshelfs
B & W (640, I think)
Soliloquy 5.something
Dunlavy SC-III
NHT Xd system (only 1 sub)
Vandersteen Quatro (original with cloth sock)
Currently: Buchardt S400 and a single SVS 1000 pro sub with room EQ and sub crossover by Acourate.

I used to have a recurring dream where I had another apartment somewhere stocked with other speakers.

ivayvr

in order of appearance:
AR 7X
Technics SB 1
series of DIY KEF with the following parts:
T27/B110 (like KEF 101 / LS 3/5a)
T27/B110/B139
2XB110/T52
T33/B200

Pyramid Met 7
Proac EBT
Linn Kan
Paradigm Atom
Mission 30i
Celestion (two way bookshelf)
Focal 705V
Warfedale 11.1
Martin Logan LX 16
Focal Aria 905
Triangle Titus EZ
Amphion Helium 410
Adam Audio A5X
Focal Shape 40
Genelec 8020

Subs:

Jensen
Jamo
Paradigm
NHT Super 8
REL T Zero
Genelec 7040

I probably missed a pair or two.

williamr

Radio Shack (Realistic) Minimus 7
Reference 3a Royal Master Control
Sonos (5s, 1s, Sub, soundbar)
Apple Homepods (OG)

Fisher Price
Technics
Cambridge Soundworks
Boston Acoustics
Mirage
Axiom
Klipsch
Ascend Acoustics
B&W
Monitor Audio
Triangle
Focal
Era Design
Revel

gianventu

Boston Acoustics
Chario
Martin Logan
Martin Logan
Martin Logan
Martin Logan
...to be continued obviusly with Martin Logan

czguy1978

Yamaha
Apogee
PSB
NHT
B&W
Linn
Paradigm
Emotiva
Mission
Elac
KEF
SVS
Sound Dynamics
Polk
Klipsch
Boston
DCM
Definitive
JBL
Denon
Infinity
Jamo
Energy
Mirage

AaronDC

Polk
Bose
Mission
Klipsch
Hsu
REL
SVS
KEF
Mirage
Classical Design & Engineering
Apple
JBL
Boston Acoustics

MarkS

Major Contributor
ADC 303AX
Polk Audio Monitor 10A
VMPS Tower II SE
Definitive Technology BP2006TL
GoldenEar Triton Seven
SVS Micro 3000 subwoofer

garyrc

Tsk, tsk... Paul said no bric-a-brac on to of his Klipschorns! ;)
Are you referring to the inverted bowl?

I wouldn't call it bric-a-brac; I tend to think of bric-a-brac as porcelain, metal, trinkets, vases, glass, etc and in the all-important Takeet vs. Maluma distinction, the bowel is definitely Maluma, whereas bric-a-brac tends toward Takeet, IMO. The bowl was made from a large gourd (perhaps a calabash) by people of northern Nigeria for a friend of mine. Since gourds are rather soft, even though 110 dB sometimes comes out of those Khorns, the bowl doesn't rattle, clink, ring, bong, tinkle or do any of those unseemly things bric-a-brac is prone to do, so I think Paul would be O.K. with it. You never can tell, though. He was a stickler. Having the bowls there might be as noxious to him as his pet peeve, other pilots who, with a plane with pontoons, cruse down onto a lake and claim to have landed without realizing that one can't "land on water."
il_794xN.1252918508_r6fo.jpg

1676267099544.png

Last edited:

droid2000

Yes, I'm using the Khorns now. Not perfect, but the best I ever heard, anywhere, once I was finished with the following:
  1. I treated the room (lightly) first, slowly, with lots of listening in between. Some absorption and lots of diffusion.
  2. Used Audyssey to iron out some wrinkles and kinks. I use Audyssey FLAT for most good recordings. Not perfectly flat, still, but sounds great, with those incredible dynamics. For a few harsh CDs, DVDs, Blu-rays, I switch over to Audyssey Reference, with its slight roll-off at the top ( -2dB @ 10K, - 6dB @20K). I hear the best Dirac (full range) is better at room correction, and, of course Trinnov, but it's way too expensive.
  3. Corner horns may require some special treatment, such as an approximately 2 foot x 4 foot absorber starting where a yardstick would hit each side wall if held flat against the front of the midrange/treble "top hat" of the Khorn and extending 2 feet farther into the room than that helps get rid of early midrange/treble reflections from the mid horn that are undesirable. I owe this tidbit to Chris A of the Klipsch Community Forum. See below.View attachment 261401
  4. Even if you have the new Khorns that have closed backs (but not sides!), regardless of what you might infer from advertisements, they still must be in corners, but can be toed in or out to aim right at you. Klipsch says you should be able to look straight down the mid/high horns from the listening position (use a flashlight, if need be). The older models need to be fairly sealed into the corners with pipe insulating tubes, or neoprene sheets (Google it).
  5. If you are building a room from scratch in the new house, have no two dimensions the same, and a high ceiling (at least 8 feet). If you can't have a ceiling that high, put an absorber on the ceiling where the sound from the tweeter will hit first.
They look like they will suck my soul out into everlasting hell. Nice speakers tho

fordiebianco

Forum Donor
Magnat
Grundig
Polk
KEF
Sound Artist
Bose
Logitech
Q-Acoustics
Klipsch
Gale