• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I've done my (GR) research and here's what I'm gettin'!

2.0 desk setup:

DAC: Shit Audio Yggdrasil OG (original gangster variant)

Heard great things about this baby, great PRAT, micro dynamics and what they call "moffat bass".

I also live in a sketchy apartment building so if anyone breaks in, I doubt they will want to carry out a 30 pound DAC in 2022!

Amp: Chord Electronics Anni

Again, do to my living situation, I'm worried about getting my stuff stolen. My thinking is having an amp that looks like a child's Fischer Price toy will deter or be ignored by a thief.

This baby also puts out a bigly 10 watts into 8 Ohms!

Speakers: GR Research LGK 2.0

Love these little jokers! I'm really sensitive to low frequency's and bass so I wanted a pair that produce none.

Also picking up one of their B24 power cables to plug into my Yggy. Hoping it will improve its linearity.

Thoughts on my system?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Also picking up one of their B24 power cables to plug into my Yggy. Hoping it will improve its linearity.
It won't change a thing other than the weight of your wallet and maybe make you think you are making change but in effect there is no change.

Love these little jokers! I'm really sensitive to low frequency's and bass so I wanted a pair that produce none.
They are a tiny woofer one way speaker and as such one cannot expect much from them. They where tested here at ASR recently.

DSJR

Major Contributor
I read it and thought it was serious, but it's such an awful proposed system from in to out, it has to be a pee take - hasn't it...? (scuttles off quick)

I only looked 'cos the OP's name is so close to a certain character Mavic Chen from the Dalek's Masterplan (now I've really lost it - they're coming to take me away haha hehe hoho...)

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Thoughts on my system?

giphy (2).gif

MAB

Major Contributor
2.0 desk setup:

Heard great things about this baby, great PRAT, micro dynamics and what they call "moffat bass".

I also live in a sketchy apartment building so if anyone breaks in, I doubt they will want to carry out a 30 pound DAC in 2022!
This is an expensive DAC, the predecessor had issues with high mains noise intrusion (for instance) and lacks even CD resolution, not clear if the OG version fixed this. It doesn't have PRAT, it has poorly design and executed circuitry. Not sure if this even matters because even if it had good performance it is way too expensive for a DAC. This is a box that Schiit put some circuits into, and didn't sort out the issues. If you are going to spend over $1000 on a DAC, might as well get one that RME (for instance) makes a DAC that will actually sound better (not because you will hear the noise, but the RME has EQ).

Again, do to my living situation, I'm worried about getting my stuff stolen. My thinking is having an amp that looks like a child's Fischer Price toy will deter or be ignored by a thief.

All I can say is there are many less expensive ways to not get stuff stolen, and make getting things stolen less painful.

Thoughts on my system?
Have you listened to full-range speakers? You should read the review the Doodski sent you on these speakers in particular. Full-range introduce a bunch of problems, these no different.

The cables will have zero impact on your sound, nothing. You will just be getting ripped off up front at the store.

Mostly because of the speakers, this is going to sound horrible. And there are so many other ways to get a bass-shy desktop system. Like an RME DAC with a pair of small self-powered Genelec or Neuman studio monitors (for instance), with an appropriate bass EQ on the DAC to remove the unwanted bass. You would actually have good sound (minus the bass), and a ton of money left over for renter's insurance.

But, first, do your research here.

MAB

Major Contributor
I read it and thought it was serious, but it's such an awful proposed system from in to out, it has to be a pee take - hasn't it...? (scuttles off quick)

I only looked 'cos the OP's name is so close to a certain character Mavic Chen from the Dalek's Masterplan (now I've really lost it - they're coming to take me away haha hehe hoho...)
I always take these things sooo seriously.:confused:

flipflop

Addicted to Fun and Learning

If you really hate bass, you should check out the Revel Concerta C10.
This speaker starts rolling off as early as 500 Hz and it is ASR Approved™ to boot! You simply can't go wrong with Harman products.

LightninBoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Great choice. Given your living situation, I'd recommend getting the kit version and slapping it together as roughly as possible. Leave them unpainted and the thieves won't even bother with them.

sojun80

What would be the worst value system? Worst budget system? Mid range?

gab

Mark Twain quote: "It's easier to fool somebody than to convince them they've been fooled"

jeffbook

Are we sure this wasn't a delayed post lost in the internet wasteland since April 1?

Steven Holt

Forum Donor
2.0 desk setup:

Thoughts on my system?
Man, I don't know 1/2 as much as most ASR members, but I could go to Best Buy and pick out a better system for you. And maybe blindfolded.

Top Bottom