• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

BluesDaddy

I shipped Carver Silver Sevens (tubes) from Florida to California and had UPS do the packing.

Arrived totally trashed, even chassis were bent. Was paid completely and refunded very disappointed buyer. Cannot imagine how far the drop was to do the extensive damage.
From the top of the semi-trailer down to the street when unloading.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
I shipped Carver Silver Sevens (tubes) from Florida to California and had UPS do the packing.

Arrived totally trashed, even chassis were bent. Was paid completely and refunded very disappointed buyer. Cannot imagine how far the drop was to do the extensive damage.
Ouch! What a shame. :( Probably best to take something like that on a road trip.

Tom C

Major Contributor

That so sux. Guess nothing is foolproof.

TLEDDY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
“That so sux.”

That sums it up! I hope everyone has better luck than I did!

SimpleTheater

Forum Donor
Really makes me wonder how speaker manufacturers and others get their wares from the factory to the showroom. Surely they're not having huge losses due to incompetent shippers!
They don't use UPS/FedEx, they use specialty carriers. Not that their perfect, far from it, but they ship everything on pallets, shrinkwrap all the boxes together, so very little moves.

OP
Presently42

Presently42

They don't use UPS/FedEx, they use specialty carriers. Not that their perfect, far from it, but they ship everything on pallets, shrinkwrap all the boxes together, so very little moves.
And do we mere consumers have access to such counselled carriers? Seems they'd make a pretty penny catering to end-users....

SimpleTheater

Forum Donor
And do we mere consumers have access to such counselled carriers? Seems they'd make a pretty penny catering to end-users....
I had to ship some very large speakers once, and it didn't take too long to setup an account with Old Dominion. I couldn't ship them UPS because a) they were too heavy and b) the cost was prohibitive.

What was nice was they allowed me to put on oodles of insurance - $15,000 if I remember correctly. I was shipping some Paradigm Signature S8's and Signature surrounds. Ended up Old Dominion did mess up the delivery and dented two of the speakers. The insurance agent offered $3k for what was very minor damage and the guy I shipped them to gladly accepted it as a discount.

https://www.odfl.com/Home/

dmac6419

Major Contributor
Yes,get the right pallet,pack it in a wooden container, strap the wooden container to the pallet,it should arrive ok,now being in trucking some trailers have two decks and you can put stuff on the second deck,ltl ( less than truckload) it depends on the driver and the company, they're only gonna tear up certain schitt, they're not gonna tear up high value schitt,1 little well packed wooden container can be worth half a million, it ain't getting dented, trust me.

Last edited:
OP
Presently42

Presently42

Well! I today successfully closed the case: I contacted the vendor, and asked for a partial refund of the cost of shipping. Ebay stepped in to push things along, and I received the compensaish today. Huzzah! I'll use to funds to fix the amp.

I'm not sure I'd've even asked, had I not made this post and received such excellent supportive advice. I'm indebted to the asr membership.

Top Bottom