• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I've become obsessed that my right speaker is louder than my left speaker.

kthulhutu

Not a reasonable solution for OP, but if you create personalized BACCH filters then speaker symmetry is something you never worry about again, and additionally the head tracking adjusts the sweet spot for you, so unless you violently jerk your head around or listen in the dark you won't need a balance control.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I used one of these:
Great and very useful tool. There should be one in every audiophiles drawer.
I've had my Radioshack SPL for near 40 years now.
Radio-Shack-33-2050-SPL-Meter.jpg

raindance

Major Contributor
You've got to try swapping the speakers. I've rarely encountered perfectly matched pairs of speakers. If this doesn't change anything, change the toe in individually to see if you can get a better match in the high frequencies. Then finally use a balance control so it's centered for you.

Audiologist (hearing) tests are useless from a hifi perspective as they don't test a wide enough range, at least the ones I've had. They're only concerned with speech.

And you can change left-right channel and see if it changes the balance to the other side.

it can be the room acoustics

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Balance controls are useful. Also, don’t underestimate the effects of more reflective surfaces adding volume in the presence range on one side - that’s my issue.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Step 1: Balance the system level electrically at the speaker terminals.
Step 2: Physically swap the speakers around from left to right.
Step 3: Listen, then turn around 180 degrees and see if the image position changes. If it does, it's the room acoustics or your ears. Seriously, most people just assume their hearing response to all frequencies is balanced. It isn't.
Thank you John. Everyone is missing the fact that he has a non-ideal room. Most likely the room reflections are adding on the right ear side. Unless he uses the balance control to really turn it down and equal the volumes of the other side, all of the other ideas will not matter. A quick fix is to turn the balance knob a LOT. If it affects the volume on the loud side then you have found your culprit. Most of the ideas are not going to work. Your graph is exceptional as it is, no more EQing needed. You could get your hearing checked and make sure you have no ear wax problem. After that, rely on the trusty balance knob! Good Luck.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Everyone is missing the fact that he has a non-ideal room. Most likely the room reflections are adding on the right ear side.
Very likely, I have a similar one. The left side of my room was about 80% hard reflective glass about 2 1/2' from the left speaker.
The right side is open floor planed into the kitchen with the right wall about 10' away. :( My partial solution was to entirely cover that glass with 2" Rockboard sound insulation, that helped tremendously. (I didn't want to see those people next-door anyway. LOL) The rest is taken into account by the Audyssey DRC Editor app and my Denon X4700H.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My partial solution was to entirely cover that glass with 2" Rockboard sound insulation, that helped tremendously.
Structural openings are just more heat gains and losses. :D

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Structural openings are just more heat gains and losses. :D
Yep, my AC bill's dropped by around 15% or more.
A win/win that paid for itself. LOL

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Very likely, I have a similar one. The left side of my room was about 80% hard reflective glass about 2 1/2' from the left speaker.
The right side is open floor planed into the kitchen with the right wall about 10' away. :( My partial solution was to entirely cover that glass with 2" Rockboard sound insulation, that helped tremendously. (I didn't want to see those people next-door anyway. LOL) The rest is taken into account by the Audyssey DRC Editor app and my Denon X4700H.
I'm taking it that there is no WAF involved? :)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I'm taking it that there is no WAF involved? :)
Not currently but to be honest, no one would ever dictate these things to me.
I worked too hard for those many years not to have the things I want in my home.
Payin the cost to be the boss! :p

You act like you don't wanna listen
When I'm talkin' to you
You think you outta do baby
Anything you wanna do
You gotta be crazy, baby
Just gotta be out of your mind
As long as I'm payin' the bill
I'm payin' the cost to be the boss
I'll drink if I wanna
And play a little poker too
Don't you say nothing to me
As long as I'm takin' care of you
As long as I'm workin', baby
And payin' all the bills
I don't want no mouth from you
About the way I'm supposed to live

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
no one would ever dictate these things to me.
I had a few issues with WAF stuff. I brought stuff home, they asked about it, I showed them, they asked what I want for dinner and I cooked it....lol. I cooked all the meals. My 2 wives where terrible cooks. Otherwise if they had issue with my tower speakers, racks of gear and wall hangings then they had a issue not me. The first wife was a annoying nag and the second was much more easy going. The first one was such a horrible nag that the people at work did a intervention with me and told me she is no good and if I where single they know women that want to date me. I should have listened to them! :facepalm:

Andysu

Major Contributor
potentiometers for frequency voltage balance project

point.jpg

Andysu

Major Contributor
Multi-turn trimmer potentiometer.:cool:
very good . highest marks .
yes as most of the gear in my B-chain when sent a sine wave 1KHz whatever , the input levels are displaying oddly few dB less . so i'll make a 1U frame custom potentiometer that will be connected to certain part of gear in the B-chain and adjust the potentiometers as i like to maintain a close absolute spot on dB levels with the sine wave , the movie music well that's engineered mixed to be within certain few dB tolerances .

so i have to check the outout levels from denon avc-x8500h see if they all have same level ? i can get same level for screen channels LCR L Lc C Rc R as denon avc-x8500h L C R passes though x2 Dolby SDU4 where it has potentiometer so i can calibrate input levels with 1KHz until i get stable balanced ( duel green LED ) . the outputs have potentiometers which are adjusted and displayed on the x2 Sony SDDS D3000 . i set the surround levels for equal level and then adjust the
5 screen channel levels with SDU4 , so when i adjust the fader level , the levels should all move up/down at same time , hence balanced .

next the levels output from the Sony SDDS D3000 screen channels to behringer DEQ2496 it seems the signal on LED meters Left Right are not equal . i need to check it over see if its LED issue with lazy LED meter reading or an actual input , simple task . i need to check with computer connected to DEQ2496 to check so it will be disconnected from rest of the B-chain to verify ? same needs to be checked with DCX2496 if there is lazy input signal then i will use the potentiometers to adjust these tiny dB mill-voltage fractions to be spot on

i'm surprised , Amir doesn't have potentiometers to stick on all this gear being tested as that is all it needs to get spot on balance levels . " potentiometer " .
got mine amazon arrived next day . ebay expect week or two .

most pro gear has potentiometers . all this rubbish avr and overrated avp at £$30k , yeah how is that adjusted ? if i thought i could drill holes into the gear i have and wire/solder in potentiometers , great . most you can do with DEQ2496 is 1dB steps . it needs to be potentiometer to make fine adjustments .

Andysu

Major Contributor
You are making a Wheatstone bridge ?
no , not that . although still wondering if the new bridge rectifier in the Dolby PS1B is okay , should be , it was brand new part .

Wolf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If your couch is against the rear wall, please place some damping tiles or Rockwool behind your heads. I find this seated position is the worst for room acoustics. Cover it with a pretty painted canvas If you want for visual acceptance.

I have a double door archway a couple feet behind my couch, 10' ceilings, and the typical 3' x 3' (or close to it) speaker placement for the fronts with toe-in to face the listening position.

Sometimes, it has been just me as I've aged, once or twice the wax in the one ear, and nothing a 1-pop to the left on the balance knob could not fix.

Top Bottom