• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ITunes clips on Windows 10 PC for Apple Music streaming or DRM'ed music--how to fix?

StevenEleven

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have Apple Music. I can't get Itunes to stop clipping in Windows on a Dell desktop computer when streaming from the Apple Music service or using Apple DRM'ed files. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

I am running Windows 10. I hear the clipping on any of several headphones at louder passages easily. It is there only with Itunes in Windows. It is not there with files that are not Apple DRM'ed. It is not there is Spotify. It is not there with players other than Itunes. For example, it's not there with Foobar2000 (verifying this right now). I've swapped out three DACs. It doesn't happen on my Ipad or my MacBook pro with the exact same music.

I've tried unchecking every sound processing box in every part of Windows and Itunes. Obviously it's not that big a deal since I've got so many alternatives but it's annoying. I'd be surprised and amazed if anyone has a fix. Any thoughts?

kaland

Apple Music Converter is specially designed for users to convert Apple Music files, audiobooks, and m4p audio to unprotected MP3, M4A, etc. After converting Apple Music to MP3, you can use Apple Music files freely. Maybe you can get help from it.

OP
S

StevenEleven

Forum Donor
I have Apple Music. I can't get Itunes to stop clipping in Windows on a Dell desktop computer when streaming from the Apple Music service or using Apple DRM'ed files. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

I am running Windows 10. I hear the clipping on any of several headphones at louder passages easily. It is there only with Itunes in Windows. It is not there with files that are not Apple DRM'ed. It is not there is Spotify. It is not there with players other than Itunes. For example, it's not there with Foobar2000 (verifying this right now). I've swapped out three DACs. It doesn't happen on my Ipad or my MacBook pro with the exact same music.

I've tried unchecking every sound processing box in every part of Windows and Itunes. Obviously it's not that big a deal since I've got so many alternatives but it's annoying. I'd be surprised and amazed if anyone has a fix. Any thoughts?

This was a while back. I fixed it by checking and unchecking various check boxes in Windows, and, moreover, now I listen almost exclusively to streaming services, often lossless, so this is no longer even a potential problem for me.

I personally would consider re-encoding a collection of lossy aac flies to lossy mp3 files as suggested in the two posts above this one to be a very bad idea. By transoding in this way you might well go from transparent lossy to fidelity-degraded lossy. You could ruin a music library that way. :)

Also if someone is advocating for the use of Apple Music Converter as way of getting around DRM, I personally totally oppose that line of thought. There is now an embarrassment of riches of low-cost or even free high-quality online music streaming and other solutions. No need to intentionally violate Federal law by stripping out Apple’s DRM (at least in the U.S., if you didn’t know this was very highly likely illegal for you to do already, you do now), in addition to degrading the audio fidelity of your music library and wasting time and effort, and just generally being, well, kind of dense, by transcoding. Such suggestions are beneath the general technical and legal standards of ASR membership, IMHO. ;)

Last edited:

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
This was a while back. I fixed it by checking and unchecking various check boxes in Windows, and, moreover, now I listen almost exclusively to streaming services, often lossless, so this is no longer even a potential problem for me.

I personally would consider re-encoding a collection of lossy aac flies to lossy mp3 files as suggested in the two posts above this one to be a very bad idea. By transoding in this way you might well go from transparent lossy to fidelity-degraded lossy. You could ruin a music library that way. :)

Also if someone is advocating for the use of Apple Music Converter as way of getting around DRM, I personally totally oppose that line of thought. There is now an embarrassment of riches of low-cost or even free high-quality online music streaming and other solutions. No need to intentionally violate Federal law by stripping out Apple’s DRM (at least in the U.S., if you didn’t know this was illegal already, you do now), in addition to degrading the audio fidelity of your music library and wasting time and effort, and just generally being, well, kind of dense, by transcoding. Such suggestions are beneath the general technical and legal standards of ASR membership, IMHO. ;)

Huh... I found those two "spam-bot-like" DRM breaking software suggestions quite odd and out of place. Very suspicious given the low number of message posts...

VincentYyl

Of course you can't stream Apple Music song outside its app. There's no Apple Music app on Window System, you have to remove the protection of each song to play them in built-in media player. I found a tool from this page to convert Apple Music to MP3 and I get all the files down on my PC. There'll be no limitation to play these files.

OP
S

StevenEleven

Forum Donor
I was just thinking of this today--

1) You can now access Apple Music in Windows 10 from a web browser, including any music you have uploaded to Apple in the event Apple Music does not have a copy of your particular music in its online catalog.

2) The way I got rid of the distortion in Itunes described in my first post above was to turn off the very simple Itunes equalizer. It turns out to have been a known issue. Apparently also when Itunes auto-updates in Windows 10 it might turn the equalizer back on and the distortion might reoccur, so then you turn the Itunes equalizer off again.

3) The distortion problem that occurs in Itunes running on Windows 10 never occurs in Apple Music from the web browser.

& etc.

Since the time of my original post up there I have Qobuz & Amazon Music HD, among other things, so I don't use Apple music too much anymore. :)

Top Bottom